On The Buses Appreciation

lightningxlock

• Paid Members
Arthur is one of my favourite characters in any sitcom. He's just piss funny. As well as that, story goes that Anna Karen was quite the looker in her day, so they did a great job making her look munty as Olive.

There are some nudey photos of her floating about from her younger days and she did look pretty hot so i can never watch On The Buses without thinking its such a waste.

She was a topless go-go dancer in her younger days. When I first read that - without having seen early pictures of her - it put a frightening image in my head.

Might not be safe for work.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sadly, it appears that Blakey and Olive are the only 2 still alive.

I haven't checked on wiki, but I know Reg Varney lived a long life; the real sad story relates to Bob Grant.

There was a series called Comedy Classics which aired on ITV several years back, that in one episode looked at On the Buses. Grant was a classically trained actor, but who had been typecast as 'Jack' and thus struggled to find work since the show finished. He went missing for a while and all his showbiz pals (Ruth Madoc sticks out as one of the main ones) made pleas for him to get in touch. Eventually he turned up safely, but struggling with depression, he sadly ended up taking his own life.

I actually enjoyed all the films. Holiday also features a great cameo from Wilfred Bramble (old man Steptoe) as a randy old man who has a thing with Mrs Butler, although often he has his eyes on the younger women.

owen's ma who was nobbing patrick in eastenders is the burd nobbing jack in holiday on the buses

Yeah, the actress is Kate Williams. Cheating on poor Cyril with Jack! Incidentally, last time I watched Holiday on the Buses, later that night on another channels was Quadrophenia, and she appears in that also.

• Paid Members
Arthur is one of my favourite characters in any sitcom. He's just piss funny. As well as that, story goes that Anna Karen was quite the looker in her day, so they did a great job making her look munty as Olive.

There are some nudey photos of her floating about from her younger days and she did look pretty hot so i can never watch On The Buses without thinking its such a waste.

She was a topless go-go dancer in her younger days. When I first read that - without having seen early pictures of her - it put a frightening image in my head.

Might not be safe for work.

She was in a nice *family* film called "Nudist Memories" in 1959. I can't find any pictures and I've been *REALLY* looking.

Reg Varney was 90-something when he died, so that means he was, at least in his 40's when he did the show. Wasn't he also the first person in the world to use a cash machine? I don't why I know that (probably not true) bit of information

It's his picture on wikipedia:RegVarneyATM.jpgHe'd have been 53 when OTB started, 57 when it ended. I think we were just supposed to believe he was playing a 30 something.

I remember they used to call the black character in it "Chalky".

Butler: "You won't find any black legs in this depot!"Blakey: "Ere, Chalky..."

I think Blakey had a spin off series after On the Buses finished, it was based in Spain I think!

He did, alongside Pat Coombs, it was called Don't Drink The Water and it lasted for 2 series.Intro

• Paid Members

I remember they used to call the black character in it "Chalky".

Butler: "You won't find any black legs in this depot!"Blakey: "Ere, Chalky..."

I think Blakey had a spin off series after On the Buses finished, it was based in Spain I think!

He did, alongside Pat Coombs, it was called Don't Drink The Water and it lasted for 2 series.Intro
Shit a brick, I forgot all about that. Whatever happened to the british sitcom?

Archived