On The Buses Appreciation

lightningxlock

Anybody else a fan of this fine 60's/70's comedy? I've done nothing this week apart from lie in bed ill watching the majority of the box set. Funnily enough, I only got turned onto this about 2 years ago by a work colleague. I dont recall it in the slightest but I find it to be one of the very best comedies of that time period.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Excellent series. Love all of the films. Great holiday viewing. One of the ITV channels normally show all three of them during Xmas.

The series really should have ended when Reg Varney left (He did didn't he?). But they persisted after that and it wasn't as good. Didn't the guy who played Olive's husband leave as well? They should have well ended it.

Excellent series. Love all of the films. Great holiday viewing. One of the ITV channels normally show all three of them during Xmas.

The series really should have ended when Reg Varney left (He did didn't he?). But they persisted after that and it wasn't as good. Didn't the guy who played Olive's husband leave as well? They should have well ended it.

Michael Robbins who played Arthur left, and then half way through the next series Reg Varney left aswell. They continued the series by having Blakey move in to the Butler household and I think Olive ended up getting a job at the Bus Depot (as did Ma Butler, in the canteen), but it wasn't the same and they really should have called it a day after Robbins left.

ITV3 shows On the Buses daily, and I would imagine all three of the movies will be shown on the channel at some point over Christmas.

Interesting little fact is that Stephen Lewis was just 32 when he first appeared as the Inspector, and I always found it quite unreal how Jack would seem to be some irresistable magnet to all the young clippies in the show.

• Moderators

Arthur is one of my favourite characters in any sitcom. He's just piss funny. As well as that, story goes that Anna Karen was quite the looker in her day, so they did a great job making her look munty as Olive.

While Mutiny and Holiday are both the drizzling shits, On the Buses is one of my favourite films as well. Just watch the opening. It's easily the best opening to any film ever made ever. A wonderful opening theme song. AND IT'S MADE BY HAMMER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA5PmikI4DM

Arthur is one of my favourite characters in any sitcom. He's just piss funny. As well as that, story goes that Anna Karen was quite the looker in her day, so they did a great job making her look munty as Olive.

While Mutiny and Holiday are both the drizzling shits, On the Buses is one of my favourite films as well. Just watch the opening. It's easily the best opening to any film ever made ever. A wonderful opening theme song. AND IT'S MADE BY HAMMER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA5PmikI4DM

There are some nudey photos of her floating about from her younger days and she did look pretty hot so i can never watch On The Buses without thinking its such a waste.

And i always found it quite disturbing how 2 ugly middle aged men had such good luck pulling attractive young girls.

• Moderators

Because if what I've seen on TV and film comedies of the '70s and '80s is true, and it usually is, young sexy women find charming middle aged men who go "Cor" and "urrrrrrr" a lot totally irresistible. I'm looking forward to it. We'll have sex in cars and stuff and it'll break the suspension and the tyres will fly off the car, and that kind of thing.

Because if what I've seen on TV and film comedies of the '70s and '80s is true, and it usually is, young sexy women find charming middle aged men who go "Cor" and "urrrrrrr" a lot totally irresistible. I'm looking forward to it. We'll have sex in cars and stuff and it'll break the suspension and the tyres will fly off the car, and that kind of thing.

To this day i still dream of being a window cleaner/driving instructor/bus driver/pop performer and holiday camp worker.

• Moderators

To this day i still dream of being a window cleaner/driving instructor/bus driver/pop performer and holiday camp worker.

If you were, you'd have a lot to confess.

Interesting little fact is that Stephen Lewis was just 32 when he first appeared as the Inspector, and I always found it quite unreal how Jack would seem to be some irresistable magnet to all the young clippies in the show.

Yeh, I was reading up on the characters on Wikipedia and found it amusing that Reg Varney was a fair bit older than Blakey in real life. That withstanding Blakey is cast as his inspector and regularly refers to him as 'boy'. Suppose it's these inconsistencies that are part of the overall charm of these older shows. You'd never get away with stuff like that now.

Sadly, it appears that Blakey and Olive are the only 2 still alive.

Im yet to see the films but considering im upto season 7, i'll be onto those next. I was expecting seasons 6 & 7 to be utter toss having read afew questionable reviews about them but i've enjoyed them as much as any of the other seasons. So much so, season 6 has some of the best episodes IMO, like the episode where the bus burns down and the one where Olive tries to make Arthur jealous.

Archived