1990's rave music

Richie Freebird

What does hardcore have to do with dubstep?

I would have thought that's obvious. It's a similar from-the-streets, scene-driven underground music explosion that emphasises 'noise' as the driving factor in its take on dance music. Much of what modern dubstep producers do, even down to the samples and breaks in particular, was done during the early hardcore/d'n'b years. Except with much shittier technology, obviously.

Happy Hardcore really is garbage isn't it?

MCs do nothing for me. If particularly obnoxious they detract, but otherwise they're easy enough to ignore.

Yeah, Happy Hardcore is pretty shit like. I suppose you could make the obvious comparison between HH and Donk where both are just faster, harder, though not neccessarily better, versions of pre-existing techno genres. That's not to say I hate all HH (or even Donk). I do like Ultra-Sonic and QFX (although I would classify these as being more Techno than HH) and Blackout Crew put a smile on my face are clearly having a laugh when it comes to Donk.

As for MCs. Well, I don't know about other parts of the country, but here in the North-East a lot of emphasis seems to placed upon the MC. When MCs are the draw, it kind of makes it hard to ignore when they percieve themselves, not the DJ or the music they play, as being the talent.

• Moderators

I think a byproduct of being a big hip hop fan is that I have little tolerance for MCs because they're all shit compared to actual rappers with talent.

I know what you mean about them making themselves the focal point - it definitely happens, depending on the kinda night you go to and what music is specifically playing. It's the thing I hated the most when I used to go to DnB nights, but like I said it depnds on the kinda night. If it's a bit ghetto then the MC is usually the marquee name, but if itt's at a proper club then you get a big name DJ then no one is tolerating some twat shouting over the music on a mic.

A good MC will add a bit of boost at the appropriate moments but otherwise shut the fuck up. Conrad was always good at this.

Happy Hardcore is terrible, no doubt. Not quite sure how it's survived all these years to be honest, I assume it's a drugs thing.

There are mc's out there with massive talent. And it's a completely different thing to hip hop, it's running a rave. People like bassman keep it very minimal, very dark, they're good. Trigga similarly dark, but a bit faster and more bars. Hyper d was the absoloute king till he died. Fearless is still fun, keeps everything buzzing, skibadee's still top of the game.

Then you get the old school guys, who are more dancehall than hip hop in their delivery, moose, five 0, gq, all still going strong and doing well.

For drum and bass/jungle I don't think it sounds right without a decent mc. Which isn't to say the direction it's taken recently, with 3-4 mc's on stage at all times, all constantly spitting, isn't over cooking it a bit.

He's playing at a rave I'm going to tonight. Met him at the last jungle fever event, nice bloke. If I'm honest though I don't love his style, his delivery's all a bit samey and monotone for my tastes. Can't fault his work though, crowd fucking loves him and he does bring the vibes.

I wasn't into it as much as you guys on here. I was only 11/12 around the time but i remember everybody at school had that hardcore ecstasy tape from HMV. I can't remember many tracks now but i used to love Dominator. I know this might be a bit on the commercial side for some of you hardcore ravers but i loved it all the same.

He's very generic but I just like the tone of his voice. Also enjoy Tonn Piper (you can tell I've been in Manchester for a while now...)

To be fair last night he was top, him and the whole nu breed kru over dj sly, and he smashed it.

• Paid Members
Edit: I totally forgot about N.A.S.A; Nice And Safe Attitude wasn't it? Schott and Nicholson jackets too

Yes it was, I had a NASA bomber jacket! I remember the bomber jackets you had were either black or a dark green. Other jackets around this time were Unity, United Dance, Technics, Alpine & Kenwood. And don't forget when you were at school rocking your bomber jacket, you had the record bag to go with it. Even though you couldn't feel all of your school textbooks in it, you still looked cool.

Dub step is shit though isn't it? An old friend of mine sometimes listens to it, and when I explain his faults to him, he feels ashamed of his actions. Dup step is baaaaad.

It's not bad. I still maintain that it isn't a great style when you're out clubbing, due to the fact that it's a stuggle to dance to (other than the obvious 'nod'), but the Dubstep genre has grown on me massively over the past year. I don't mind the earlier and more original stuff by the likes of Skream & Benga, but I must say I prefer the stuff that has more of a tech influence to it. Acts like Nero, Flux Pavilion & Skrillex I like listening to- they may be more mainstream but they are good.

Let's be honest, dance music has been screaming out for a completely 'new/original' scene for over a decade now. From the late 80s until late 90s you had several main genres come along- House, Techno, Drum & Bass, Hardcore, Breaks/Rave, Trance, Garage, Hard Dance etc. Since 2000, you've just had sub-genres born of the aforementioned scenes. The success Dubstep has had so far is a testament to how much the dance music has needed a new scene, it was just a matter of time until someone came along and got the ball rolling.

• Paid Members
skibadee's still top of the game.

Oh yes, Skiba was always king of the MC's when I was growing up. Even when the UK Garage scene was in full swing and dozens of MCs from that scene became known, he was still revered above these.

Archived