X-Pac Heat

L_E_T_H_A_L

He was mega-over until early 2000. For a good while after that, he had fuck-off heat. I remember him being the only WWF wrestler who was booed by the pro-WWF crowd at Invasion in 2001.

Despite being a WWF guy he was still a heel at the time and Kidman was a popular babyface, despite being a WCW invader.

Yes, but the heat he was attracting wasn't regular heel heat. It was more, "Go away, we're sick of the sight of you" heat. That's why it coined a term.

It's a stupid term, which was coined by the sort of net fans that prefer cool heels, that they can cheer for.

I didn't actually coin the term, so get off your high horse.

And in my opinion, if any wrestler deserves to have such a term named after him, it's Sean Waltman. I believe the term was even used in the WWE locker room (was it Jericho who wrote about it in his book?), so it's not necessarily a product of the internet smark community. X-Pac had the type of go-away heat that had you reaching for the remote control, not the kind that made you want to see him get his ass kicked. He was as stale as a month-old loaf by mid-2000, despite the fact that he felt he was a member of the WWE elite.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I didn't actually coin the term, so get off your high horse.

Well, no shit.

And in my opinion, if any wrestler deserves to have such a term named after him, it's Sean Waltman. I believe the term was even used in the WWE locker room (was it Jericho who wrote about it in his book?), so it's not necessarily a product of the internet smark community. X-Pac had the type of go-away heat that had you reaching for the remote control, not the kind that made you want to see him get his ass kicked. He was as stale as a month-old loaf by mid-2000, despite the fact that he felt he was a member of the WWE elite.

So he went through a stale period? Who doesn't? The phrase mainly bothers me because people throw it about to describe wrestlers that they have a legitimate hatred for, whereas Waltman generally seems to be pretty well liked by everyone in the business, so it just seems a bit unfair.

It's a stupid term, which was coined by the sort of net fans that prefer cool heels, that they can cheer for.

Fuck off. It's a bang-on term for the kind of things that people feel for the likes of Abyss and Ted Dibiase now. Don't even try and pretend it's because he was such a great heel. It's because he was boring as fuck and no cunt even wanted to see him. And don't give me 'but that's what a heel does' because if Lance fucking Storm had done it he'd have been just as bad.

See there's the disconnect right there. You're an internet smark and therefore in no way representative of the majority of wrestling fans, same as it was back when the term was coined. "X-Pac is boring and we hate him, so therefore all fans who hate him must be bored too!". Generally fans don't react by booing people they are bored of, they react with indifference. If your comparison to Ted Dibiase was accurate then why isn't he being booed out of every building he appears in as well?

Add in the TV numbers, now I don't have the quarter hour breakdowns from TV around that period and I'm sure you don't either but I'd bet money that if X-Pac's appearance caused a significant drop in ratings (and by people's insistance on this thread, X-Pac had everyone reaching for the remotes) every time he appeared on screen each week then he'd have been taken off TV long before he eventually left.

X-Pac heat is a bullshit term, if he got a reaction then he got a reaction. If the crowd is sitting on their hands, THEN there's a problem.

Out of the current crop I'd say: Heath Slater, Mr. Anderson, Abyss, all the WWE Divas except Beth and AJ, Ted DiBiase, Michael McSuchandsuch, Del Rio when he's talking, RVD and probably a few others who are so dull I blanked them from my memory.

If Lance Storm had done what? I'm not saying X-Pac was great at the time that phrase was coined, but he was nowhere near as bad as some people seem to think.

In his day Waltman was a cracking, charismatic worker. A thousand times better than Abyss or Ted DiBiase ever have been or ever will be.

Yes, in his day. 2000-2001 was not his day.

So he went through a stale period? Who doesn't? The phrase mainly bothers me because people throw it about to describe wrestlers that they have a legitimate hatred for, whereas Waltman generally seems to be pretty well liked by everyone in the business, so it just seems a bit unfair.

People do use the phrase to describe that, but they're wrong. It's not appropriate in that context - it applies to a boring guy who the fans dislike seeing, not just someone they hate. If they can't be arsed with him and just chant 'X-Pac sucks' throughout his matches, it's something different.

See there's the disconnect right there. You're an internet smark and therefore in no way representative of the majority of wrestling fans, same as it was back when the term was coined. "X-Pac is boring and we hate him, so therefore all fans who hate him must be bored too!". Generally fans don't react by booing people they are bored of, they react with indifference. If your comparison to Ted Dibiase was accurate then why isn't he being booed out of every building he appears in as well?

Add in the TV numbers, now I don't have the quarter hour breakdowns from TV around that period and I'm sure you don't either but I'd bet money that if X-Pac's appearance caused a significant drop in ratings (and by people's insistance on this thread, X-Pac had everyone reaching for the remotes) every time he appeared on screen each week then he'd have been taken off TV long before he eventually left.

X-Pac heat is a bullshit term, if he got a reaction then he got a reaction. If the crowd is sitting on their hands, THEN there's a problem.

They didn't boo him. They pretty much ignored his matches to chant 'X-Pac Sucks' throughout them because he was dull. The only reaction he would get was usually for the Bronco Buster and even that was mild boos.

They didn't boo him. They pretty much ignored his matches to chant 'X-Pac Sucks' throughout them because he was dull. The only reaction he would get was usually for the Bronco Buster and even that was mild boos.

A reaction is still a reaction though, and that's my point. He generated a reaction, and people didn't tune out. Isn't that the duty of a midcarder?

There's far too many to list of wrestler's from old footage and year's past that fit into this category for me. At the moment in the WWE, there are far too many as well but some would be much better if they either had an interesting character or interesting story-line that you can actually get into.

I liked Alberto Del Rio from his debut until he became stale and just started saying the same things every week (Just after Wrestlemania). He's now up there with Swagger and Bob Backlund as being one of the most boring World Champions ever. I don't really blame him, I blame the system. If they gave him something to say, I could invest in the character rather than just fast forwarding through it all. Now Awesome Truth have split up, I really see no reason to keep The Miz in the main events. I'd given up on him becoming the next main guy by about April, so they can just put him back in the mid card for all I care. Nothing that he will be doing on his own at the top level will interest me what so ever. R Truth going babyface and being as shit as he was before the heel turn doesn't sound to pleasant either.

The others like most of the boring vanilla nobodies who came up through NXT/Nexus/The Corre, Tyson Kidd, The Usos, Ted DiBiase etc can just go away though.

My top 5 hate list:

5) Mr Anderson - Stone Cold Wannabe. And Shit.

4) Abyss - Just lame...oh so very lame. And shit at everything.

3) Huncio/Mexican America - Its a tired gimmick that no one likes yet it still gets pushed on us. Plus Hernandez is Shit.

2) Hornswaggle - Does he get any reaction? Plus he can talk now....Still shit.

1) ERIC YOUNG - NOT FUNNY, STUPID BEARD AND SOUNDS LIKE A RAPIST. Plus he's pretty shit.

A reaction is still a reaction though, and that's my point. He generated a reaction, and people didn't tune out. Isn't that the duty of a midcarder?

The whole point of the phrase 'X Pac Heat' was that it was a reaction that no wrestler wants. It was a "get off my tv/live show" reaction.

X Pac is great, and has been brilliant at times, but at that particular point of his career his act wasn't over.

• Paid Members

I can't believe people are actually arguing about X-Pac and the heat he got back in 2000/01. It's a fucking term that whether it was correctly coined or not, has stuck over time. It means somebody that you have no interest in seeing on your screen ever again, and not in a kayfabed 'because he is a baddie' kind of way. Or even in a 'sick of John Cena' way. Somebody that literally gains no emotion from you during a match.

My vote goes to Dibiase Jr. He doesn't interest me in the slightest, really doesn't. Although he has a decent physique and seems able enough in the ring, I really couldn't care for him whether he's heel or face.

And LETHAL- shame on you for the Sid nomination! :O

Archived