'Dream' feuds/matches featuring midcarders...

Ron Simmons

• Paid Members
For nothing more than the spectacle. Big Show vs Andre the Giant

:omg:

:crazy:

:confused:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made this thread a while ago and found out that my banal dream match (William Regal vs. D'Lo Brown for the European title) actually happened on an episode of Heat. I've still not fucking seen it though. :(

At the moment, though I have a few that I wish happened:

Daniel Bryan vs. Tyson Kidd vs. Jack Swagger:

If this happened and was given proper time, it would be match/fued of the year. It would blow ROH and the likes out the water.

Mantaur vs. El Matador:

One of them was fat, charged at his opponents and mooed. The other made a gimmick out of avoiding charging fat men in the style of a bullfighter. What more do you need to know?

That said, I've tried to think of two seperate, unrelated gimmicks which were unintentionally tailor made for a dream fued more than Mantaur/Matador, and I can't think of any. Any suggestions?

• Paid Members

Hmmm.....

Most of mine are around the theme of two guys/teams on opposite sides of the promotional fence at a certain point in time that I think would have made a decent match, or sometimes even active in the same company but on the same side of the heel/face divide and hence not booked against each other.

British Bulldogs VS Tully & Arn

Powers of Pain VS Samoan Swat Team

Demolition VS Rock N Roll Express

Ricky Steamboat VS The Model

Texas Tornado VS Rick Rude

Big Boss Man VS Cactus Jack *

Mr Perfect VS Million Dollar Man

"The Natural" Dustin Rhodes VS Jake The Snake *

Legion of Doom VS The Hollywood Blonds

Tito Santana VS Lord Steven Regal

1-2-3 Kid VS Flyin' Brian

Razor Ramon VS Stunning Steve *

Hakushi VS Ultimo Dragon

Owen & DBS VS The Steiners

Diamond Dallas Page VS Rob Van Dam

Owen Hart VS Dean Malenko

Davey Boy VS Chris Benoit

Taka Michinoku VS Rey Misterio Jr

New Age Outlaws VS Impact Players

Meng VS Rhino

Ah, there's far too many to list.

* Yeah, I know these matches happened when they were in the same fed together, but likely at a different time and/or under different gimmicks, so leave me alone.

The real answer is Faces of Fear VS Powers of Pain, which would have happened had it not been for working for different promotions at the time, bullshit politics and the inability of a Western promoter to achieve the relatively simple task of cloning the Barbarian. Two Kanes, four Doinks, seemingly uncountable Stings... but no to two Barbarians?? Bullshit politics.

Bossman v Martel

CLICKY

Chris Benoit was pretty much midcard at the end, with US title matches and going to ECW, so fuck it, Chris Benoit vs. Daniel Bryan would have been ace.

Goldust vs. Kizarny. Fuck what the WWE higher ups thought, Kizarny was awesome.

Dolph Ziggler vs. 1999 Val Venis would have been a technical masterpiece IMO.

Daniel Bryan vs. Tyson Kidd vs. Jack Swagger:

If this happened and was given proper time, it would be match/fued of the year.

No it wouldn't. You've got a bland lad with a briefcase, a big lad who stands in the background of Dolph Ziggler's rise to the top... And a little Superstars jobber with no personality. Give it "proper time" and it's a Superstars main event, nothing more.

I would like to see some of the early 2000's WWF Intercontinental contenders like Kurt Angle (First half of 2000 and post title lost to Rock up until Invasion in 2001), Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Edge (Post E&C) tear it up with the likes of Rock 'n Wrestling era mid carders like Randy Savage (Up until '88), Ricky Steamboat, Jake The Snake, Ravishing Rick, Mr. Perfect etc. There's a whole lot of talent in that group, imagine the combinations of feuds you could have :cool:

• Paid Members
British Bulldogs VS Tully & Arn

Powers of Pain VS Samoan Swat Team

Demolition VS Rock N Roll Express

Legion of Doom VS The Hollywood Blonds

Owen & DBS VS The Steiners

The real answer is Faces of Fear VS Powers of Pain

Oh yes to all of these. Did the Bulldogs & Tully/Arn not wrestle each other in 88 in the short time they were both in WWF? I suppose it isn't surprising as there were so many tag teams back then logistically it would've been hard for every team to wrestle each other.

Slightly off topic here, but I'm still gutted to this day that Demolition VS LOD wasn't a bigger deal and didn't result in a couple of 2 vs 2 PPV matches. That feud could've rocketed if done right. They wrestled each other on the circuit in late 1990 and were at opposite ends at Survivor Series (I loved that match at the time, haven't seen it since), but to me it kind of fizzed away. Probably Ax's condition and Crush being shit had a part to play, but I'd loved to have seen a huge bad-ass feud that went on for months and culminated at WrestleMania 7.

This is going to sound a bit weird, but at one point in TNA they were hinting towards a Matt Morgan v Kevin Nash matchup, two massive guys colliding. It's been literally the only time I was interested in seeing Matt Morgan, mainly as I hoped he'd learn how to work like a big guy from Nash. And then it never happened.

That's genuinely the first thing that came to mind :unsure:

I would like to see some of the early 2000's WWF Intercontinental contenders like Kurt Angle (First half of 2000 and post title lost to Rock up until Invasion in 2001), Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Edge (Post E&C) tear it up with the likes of Rock 'n Wrestling era mid carders like Randy Savage (Up until '88), Ricky Steamboat, Jake The Snake, Ravishing Rick, Mr. Perfect etc. There's a whole lot of talent in that group, imagine the combinations of feuds you could have :cool:

Pre-WM IV Savage was comfortably the second most over full-time worker on what at the time was at the time the largest, most successful wrestling company of all time behind only the guy who was considered to be the greatest draw of all time and arguably the second or third man in the business overall (depending how highly you rank Flair). Same as Warrior was in 1989-1990 - he was the second most over man in the entire Western end of business but was feuding over the IC Title.

Technically, I suppose you are right since those sell outs with Honky were over the secondary strap and he didn't win the WWF Title until 1988 but strange to me guys like Savage in 86-88 or Warrior up to WrestleMania VI are considered midcard acts whilst guys like Del Rio and Punk would be considered main eventers since they've just feuded over the big belt. I mean technically Lex Luger didn't win a World Title until as recently as 1991 but he was one of WCW's Big Three for what seemed like ages and ages before then to the extent most of his storylines in 1988-1990 were based around him not having won the title yet.

So yeah, that is technically right but an example of how things have changed. Yeah, those combinations would have been cool to see.

Slightly off topic here, but I'm still gutted to this day that Demolition VS LOD wasn't a bigger deal and didn't result in a couple of 2 vs 2 PPV matches. That feud could've rocketed if done right. They wrestled each other on the circuit in late 1990 and were at opposite ends at Survivor Series (I loved that match at the time, haven't seen it since), but to me it kind of fizzed away. Probably Ax's condition and Crush being shit had a part to play, but I'd loved to have seen a huge bad-ass feud that went on for months and culminated at WrestleMania 7.

Same here, although for me it was less the match and more the build-up. Seeing that graphic every week to promote the two teams (and that was even after Demos had changed costumes), plus the way it appeared on the back of the magazine, etc. it just seemed massive and I loved that six man they showed at night on Sky One I think on SNME (might have been the Main Event) shortly before the Survivor Series. Felt like a real Dream match with all the face paint guys in there. Even on the VHS cover Warrior and Perfect's teams look class.

Really Crush gets a bad deal out of that. I used to think the same (that there was less interest with it not being Ax and Smash) but having seen some of his matches since his death I do think they could have still run New Demos/LOD as feud for a little while for at least one PPV match or two like you suggested (would have had to have been Rumble or WM VII) to follow up on Survivor Series.

Off the top of my head, I'd have been curious to see:

1. The Rockers vs The Hardyz (Rockers play heel)

2. The Midnight Express (Condrey & Eaton) vs The Hardyz, culminating in a 2/3 Falls Match

3. The Heavenly Bodies (Del Ray & Prichard) vs The Midnight Express (Condrey & Eaton) in a feud during which Lane starts with one group and switches sides

4. Rock N Roll Express vs Kid Kash & Jamie Noble (probably the ideal opponents for them who never met)

5. Rock N Roll Express vs Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch

6. Bob Holly vs Greg Valentine (loved their little bits in Rumble

Archived