You are a nerd

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

What do you regard as your nerdiest subject, aside from wrestling?

I thought my main one was films, which I am probably a big nerd about, in fairness (I fucking bought a subscription to a DVD catalogue site online because I had so many and kept buying duplicates, for fuck's sake), but actually I think it's cricket.

I find myself reading through scorecards from matches played in Bangladesh and Zimbabwe in a lull in my work, and then I realise I've been looking at them for two hours and got practically nothing done all day. I blame Cricinfo - it makes it far too easy to start following links on there, and I never know when to stop.

I thought my main one was films, which I am probably a big nerd about, in fairness (I fucking bought a subscription to a DVD catalogue site online because I had so many and kept buying duplicates, for fuck's sake), but actually I think it's cricket.

I find myself reading through scorecards from matches played in Bangladesh and Zimbabwe in a lull in my work, and then I realise I've been looking at them for two hours and got practically nothing done all day. I blame Cricinfo - it makes it far too easy to start following links on there, and I never know when to stop.

Video games and web/media design are my other nerdgasms. I tend to come and go with films and music but games are always present.

I know the feeling when it comes to cricket and looking at scorecards. I've found myself doing similar things and spending ridiculous amounts of time reading through them. I've done it with scorecards for Liverpool leagues too, checking cards from previous games to look at form over the season and then looking at the little stats tables about how people get out and trying to establish whether there are patterns regarding these things for certain players. I know for a fact that one of my closest friends is a sucker for getting out lbw with something like well over half of his dismissals that way.

My own personal one is Formula One though. Ever since I was maybe 9 or 10, I've been able to list every single world champion, and I can list various other facts and stats about circuits, races from particular years and teams. I've often stayed up all night watching old races from the 80s and 90s online. I love it though, and most of my friends know I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to motorsport.

Probably Michael Jackson. Pretty much know about as much as you can know about him, Read loads of books, listened to all his music, seen all his concerts etc. I actually learnt the capital cities through thinking where he had done concerts.

• Paid Members
Probably Michael Jackson. Pretty much know about as much as you can know about him, Read loads of books, listened to all his music, seen all his concerts etc. I actually learnt the capital cities through thinking where he had done concerts.

Was it murder, then?

• Paid Members

I've always been a nerd for the railways, especially kicking it old school with the steam engines. Think it mainly stems from constantly going down to Sheringham as a young'un and seeing the old trains go by through there along the coast and through the poppy fields. And in more recent years they've hosted some cracking beer festivals in the summer.

Some of them are stunning bits of engineering as well, they didn't mess about in the olden days. And now it seems they're coming back into fashion, remember that new-build steam engine that was in the three-way Top Gear race a couple of years back? All built from scratch.

We have a winner.

• Moderators
I've always been a nerd for the railways, especially kicking it old school with the steam engines. Think it mainly stems from constantly going down to Sheringham as a young'un and seeing the old trains go by through there along the coast and through the poppy fields. And in more recent years they've hosted some cracking beer festivals in the summer.

Some of them are stunning bits of engineering as well, they didn't mess about in the olden days. And now it seems they're coming back into fashion, remember that new-build steam engine that was in the three-way Top Gear race a couple of years back? All built from scratch.

We have a winner.

As a steam train nerd you may be able to answer this for me - In record shops I've seen some LPs that are just recordings of steam train noises. What is the appeal there?

We have a winner.

303's?

• Paid Members

Anything I enjoy I tend to get semi obsessed with. If I like something I always find I try and submerge myself in it as much as I can and get nerdy about it. I find it hard to just 'Like' something.

I'm completely obsessed with the EA Skate series, but so should everyone else be. Here's a video I made :)

Archived