Who do you prefer?

RJ Impact

Hogan / Warrior - tbh I was always more of a Macho Man fan but if I had to choose then back in the day I guess I'd go with Hogan.

Shawn / Bret - Gotta be Shawn Michaels, my favourite wrestler of all time. It just ain't the same without HBK!

Austin / Rock - The Rock wins this one, though I did like Austin too I always preferred Rock, his promos and matches for me where the best back then.

Cena / Batista - John Cena, preferred him back in his heel rapper days but still cheer him on today though his character does annoy me at times. Plus he is a great guy, always enjoy meeting him. I've never been a Batista fan.

Hogan over Warrior every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Hogan was the MAN when I was a kid, the only one coming close at the time (and who would surpass him quite soon) was Macho Man. If the question was "Macho or Hogan" it would take serious thought. The Warrior though? Fuck off mate! I liked Warrior at first, but even at the age of about 10/11 it was clear I'd seen his whole act the first time I saw him, after that it was simply rinse and repeat.

Michaels over Hart. Bret was great, really, really great, but he simply didn't have that extra level of showmanship and charisma that Michaels had. Both were fine workers who were very adaptable. Michaels comeback was probably better than his first run, and as such he beats The Hitman, for me. Two of the best ever for sure.

Austin over Rock by the smallest of margins. In terms of their peak runs, Rock was probably better value for money overall, but when you consider Austin's WCW and (brief) ECW runs, he takes the winner's purse in this. The two best things about wrestling for a number of years. Rock's last Heel run was absolute gold, as was Austin's showing on Tough Enough. This one is a very, very close decision for me. One I'll probably change my mind about in a week!

Batista or Cena? Meh! Not fussed.

• Paid Members

Hogan - I just found Warrior a bit weird.

Shawn Michaels - No contest. Hart's wrestling style bored the crap out of me.

The Rock - I don't really like Austin that much. His promos all got very samey towards the end.

Batista - No contest with this one either. He played the bad-ass face to perfection and was an absolutely outstanding heel towards the end too.

Hogan / Warrior

Hogan, every single time. I remember being heartbroken when Earthquake squashed Hogan's ribs prior to SummerSlam '90 (even wrote him a 'Get well Hulkster' letter - and received WWF catalogues and pamphlets for years thereafter), worse still when he had his 'final match' at Wrestlemania VIII (tell me you didn't have a lump in your throat when he saluted the crowd during his entrance), and I hate it now, but I LOVED it when he won the title at 'Mania IX. And, as you all you twentysomethings know, you couldn't be a Hulkamaniac AND a Warrior. That's like supporting City AND United. I was red-and-yellow through and through.

Michaels / Hart

Shawn Michaels. I thought he ranged from marginally better in some departments (match quality, drama, selling, athleticism) to out of Bret's league in others (heel promos, heel work, charisma, consistency). Admittedly, he bombed in his '96 run as WWF champion, but he was box-office for WWE post-2002 comeback. Not downing Bret, who was one of my favourites, but for me HBK shades him.

Austin / Rock

Steve Austin. For me, Austin's work was absolutely brilliant in WCW, but when he went to the WWF he made a huge impression on me. I HAD to see Raw every Friday night to see what would happen next between him and Vince, and for a while he became one of the guys I would completely suspend my disbelief for. Also, I think he's drawn more money than Rock and been around for many more years.

Cena / Batista

I'm by no means a Cena fan, but I remember a time before it was cool to hate the guy and I think his work as a heel on SmackDown in '03-'04 was brilliant. Also, despite his sometimes cringeworthy selling and psychology, he's had more than a few fucking brilliant matches, and deserves a little bit of credit. His match with Michaels at 'Mania 23 was amazing, as was the rematch in London, the entire Edge feud was brilliant, his match with RVD at ONS '06 was a classic, his work with CM Punk was fucking incredible... I could go on. Granted, all of the aforementioned opponents were very talented wrestlers, but they weren't in the ring with a lump of wood, as Power Slam might have you believing.

Hulk Hogan: I love most of his old WWF 1985- 1991 stuff, his 1996- 1998 nWo stuff is cool, and his 2002/3 and 2005 WWE runs are brilliant for me as well. He revolutionized the wrestling business, I love that the crowd were so into him, and everything about what he was doing in those time periods from the simple but effective match routines, to the cheesy poses to his "off his rocker" promos puts a smile on my face. And that is the most important factor I think, for enjoying wrestling.

Shawn Michaels: He is the best all around wrestler I have ever seen. When ever I watch early to mid 90s WWF, I immediately think how stupid some of his entrance gear is, but he is so cocky he can come out of it looking like the coolest guy on the planet. He has been a part of some of my favourite matches with the likes of Undertaker, John Cena, Mankind, Diesel, Triple H and Chris Jericho being at the top of the list.

Stone Cold Steve Austin: Next to the Undertaker, he is my favourite of all time. Words can't describe how much I love his classic work from 1996 until 2001. The Rock is next in line after those two though, which also makes it hard not to choose him.

John Cena: I can't stand the guy. But he has been in some classics, Wrestlemania 22 with Triple H, Mania 23/Raw in 2007 with HBK, Money In The Bank with CM Punk, as well as entertaining clashes with Edge, Umaga and even The Great Khali. It's just a shame he irritates me so badly on the mic.

Archived