What is the greatest Superhero movie of all time?

Pier Six Brawler

Greatest Superhero film of all time?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Mystery Men the one with the fork/fuck puns? That's all I remember from it but I'm sure I loved it when I last saw it.

For me it's gotta be the original Batman movie. It's almost non-stop fun and laughter. X-Men can get to fuck, I was made to sit through the first two not too long ago and they bored the pants off me.

• Paid Members

Not that there aren't some good movies on that list (or at least some good franchises with better sequels), but I'm going to try and make a case for one that some people hate.

tumblr_luef269p9S1qb994j.jpg

The 1966 Batman movie is a thing of utter joy, and gets even better if you include the TV series (which, bullshittingly, isn't available on DVD, unless you do what I did and get a bootleg copy of it). It's depressing how many people think that the humour in both weren't intentional.

This movie pulls off something that I honestly can't think of anything else that manages to pull off. It appeals to kids on a fairly straight level as an action/adventure film, and appeals to adults as a camp comedy. And it isn't that it's aged to do so - it was designed to do so, and was actually something of a critical hit at the time. I can think of comedies that appeal to both ages, but I can't think of something that appeals so completely on two different levels.

Everything is just perfectly over the top, and the way it's played so straight is part of the joke. But it never talks down to kids either. It's not just the magnificent "Some days...you just *can't* get rid of a bomb!" that's funny - it's the dialogue straight after. "Gosh, Batman. I can't believe you'd risk your own life like that for those lowlifes in that bar!" "They may be drinkers, Robin... but they're also human beings."

The dialogue never lets up from that perfect level of camp played straight. Commissioner Gordon's reaction to finding out the villains are working together: "Penguin, Joker, Riddler... and Catwoman, too! The sum of the angles of that rectangle is too monstrous to contemplate!".

And even the shitty riddles are great, because of the way Batman and Robin answer them IMMEDIATELY as if it couldn't be more obvious what they mean - again, it's a joke for adults, but kids will take it with a straight face. Their logic is actually bizarre as hell, but they're always completely right.

Batman: [reading a skywritten message] "What goes up white and comes down yellow and white?"

Robin: An egg!

Batman: [reading another skywritten message] "How do you divide seventeen apples among sixteen people?"

Robin: Make applesauce!

Batman: [thinking out loud] Apples into applesauce - A unification into one smooth mixture. An egg - nature's perfect container. The container of all our hopes for the future.

Robin: A unification and a container of hope? United World Organization!

Batman: Precisely, Robin! And there's a special meeting of the Security Council today. If what I fear is true...

Robin: Wow! Let's commandeer a taxi!

Batman: No, Robin. Not at this time of day. Luckily, we're in tip-top condition. It'll be faster if we run. Let's go!

Archived