Driving to the o2?

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

quick question, anyone here driven to the o2 in London? ive got tickets to see the Manic Street Preachers on Decmeber 17th and had planned to do the ol' bus/tube thing, but seeings as it's the Saturday before Xmas i'd expect London to be chaotic, so driving's an option.

I'm driving from Wales so it's the M4 route, is it an easy drive when you actually get to London? Ive driven to Wembley a couple of times, that's easy enough, just wondered if the o2's a similar kind of journey.

Then of course there's parking and shit...

or is it just easier to take the bus?

• Paid Members

Yeah it's pretty easy. Best thing to do is pick up the North Circular and follow it round through to Docklands, easy enough. And there is plenty of parking at the o2 (only about a fiver IIRC). In fact, I've driven there everytime.

By going via the north circ you don't go through the city and it's a pretty easy drive. However for you you'd need to go clockwise as soon as you hit the M25 until you get to J25, then follow the A10 down to the north circ. Might be a bit more of a mission for you, but you don't have to drive through the city that way.

• Paid Members

ill have a sat nav. so i aint too worried about getting lost, it's more the crazy city traffic im wanting to avoid.

What do you mean by north circular?

speaking of the sat nav. if i put in the o2 address is it likely to route me to avoid the city? or will it just send me straight into it?

Quickest way to do it traffic wise is to drive round the m25 till you hit the m11, then turn right towards london. When you reach the end of the m11, keep left and you'll merge onto the a406, keep left and turn immediately off this and you'll get a large roundabout. Turn right, onto the a12 and follow the signs for the blackwall tunnell, go under this then follow the signs to the 02. Driving there's a piss of piece, parking's not too bad at the 02 but think it does get kinda pricey.

• Paid Members

North circ was the main big road that went around north London until the M25 came along. It's outside the 'city' part of London, its essentially an A road dual carriageway that curves outside the busy areas.

Edit: kiffys suggestion is a good one, too. M11 is almost always a clear run.

Archived