To the great minds of the UKFF

WWFChilli

• Paid Members
Off topic, what ever the fuck that was to start with, but I really hate that. I also hate how some middle management types say "close of play". Really pisses me off.

Speaking for lower rung management, middle management got shot of that in favour of "close of business" and eventually just "COB" which I have to say on a daily basis.

Close of business I could put up with, but it's always close of play where I have worked.

Gladstone, I was a financial analyst in the City for two years. I've now returned to uni to do a master's degree. After this, I don't know.

Off topic, what ever the fuck that was to start with, but I really hate that. I also hate how some middle management types say "close of play". Really pisses me off.

You know it's in reference to the actual "City of London" area, and not just a wanky way of saying "I work in finance in London"?

I ask because I didn't know that for a while.

I didn't know for fact but assumed it derived from a distinction between the City of London and City of Westminster/greater London. I still hate it and know people who use it as a wanky way of saying "I work in finance in London".

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Speaking for lower rung management, middle management got shot of that in favour of "close of business" and eventually just "COB" which I have to say on a daily basis.

Close of business I could put up with, but it's always close of play where I have worked.

Round our way we used to call it Business Accomplished; Party!

• 6 years later...

Archived