Mr. Seven's Top 50 Songs Of 2011

Mr. Seven

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#40: 'Killed The Lord, Left For The New World' - This Will Destroy You

xthis-will-destroy-you.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xrVJ0M1G_C.jpg

Sounds like: Tranquility.

I always admire when a band steps outside their comfort zone, even if the result isn't as strong as you might wish. Post-rock and instrumental music, for all its beauty, can be quite samey. Texan natives This Will Destroy You delivered some great previous work in the form of a couple of EPs and an excellent self-titled debut album, but in 2011 they changed to a more ethereal, less busy style. The result won't grab your attention. It's not meant to. If anything it's designed to test you. When I saw them live earlier this year they looked very pissed off and precious when the crowd got a bit restless. As an album, Tunnel Blanket is a real 'gotta be in the mood for it' affair, but when you let it work, it's worthy of your attention.

"My machines sing songs for you to live for"

#39: 'My Machines' - Battles

6-Mix-2011-06-05-Battles.jpg

Sounds like: A perfect fit.

If you're going to lose your frontman and get a bunch of different vocalists in for your sophomore effort, you could do a lot worse than getting Gary Numan on board. Battles' sound hasn't progressed a great deal, but it remains a potent mix. And I think we can all agree that Gary Numan is a bit of a hero.

Haven't heard #40, but the last lot you've posted are all bursting with quality, great shouts across the board. I could put half the Take That and Nicola Roberts albums in a countdown like this, they're both insanely good pieces of work. The Blink album fell slightly below expectations for me, but you've picked the clear standout. Great read so far, looking forward to the rest.

#38: 'Tunnel Vision' - Azari & III

azariiii.jpg

Sounds like: 3am.

Moody looking fuckers, huh? There's something vaguely sinister about this track, like it's judging you or something. That intro alone is like The Krypton Factor gone evil. The high synths throughout are really punchy, the drums drenched in gorgeous gated reverb and the overall tone ridiculously funky.

• Paid Members
"L! O! V-E!"

#41: 'Beat Of My Drum' - Nicola Roberts

52563984_nicola_roberts466.jpg

Sounds like: A winning formula.

Nicola Roberts is never going to land a string of solo #1's but she's unlikely to crash and burn like fellow Girls Aloud bandmate Nadine Coyle either. In fact, she's the most credible of that group simply by always being the one singled out for being 'ginger' or 'porcelain' or 'ugly' or whatever bullshit tag she got landed with. That aspect, coupled with the presence of Diplo, meant 'Beat Of My Drum' was always going to be swallowed up by the bloggers and mp3 aggregators. The unkind have speculated that the lyrics are knowingly taking the piss out of Roberts, but that's probably off the mark. Either way, song is fucking awesome.

While I disagree with a lot of Sevens posts on account of him being a right miserable bastard, he is usually spot on with his music choices (and he did introduce me to EITS, so I could never really hate him) and this is no exception. My favourite pop song of the last year by a country mile.

"Don't look at the camera"

#37: 'Try To Sleep' - Low

low_band.jpg

Sounds like: Elbow.

Except good. I'm sure fans of both bands would take umbrage to that comparison but this is like if you took that annoying-as-fuck 'One Day Like This' track, stripped it bare and made it listenable. Agree? You might not, but it's pretty lovely all the same.

"L! O! V-E!"

#41: 'Beat Of My Drum' - Nicola Roberts

52563984_nicola_roberts466.jpg

Sounds like: A winning formula.

Nicola Roberts is never going to land a string of solo #1's but she's unlikely to crash and burn like fellow Girls Aloud bandmate Nadine Coyle either. In fact, she's the most credible of that group simply by always being the one singled out for being 'ginger' or 'porcelain' or 'ugly' or whatever bullshit tag she got landed with. That aspect, coupled with the presence of Diplo, meant 'Beat Of My Drum' was always going to be swallowed up by the bloggers and mp3 aggregators. The unkind have speculated that the lyrics are knowingly taking the piss out of Roberts, but that's probably off the mark. Either way, song is fucking awesome.

This is one of the most off the wall amazing pop songs of the last decade. As a rocker who unashemedly listens to pop pretty frequently I love this song. And the album actually. Myself and Seven's tatses differ pretty drastically in general, but kudos here!

• Paid Members

Shit, I didn't know Low had done some new stuff this year! For anyone who doesn't know them, they also made THE best Christmas song of all time:-

I was wondering if the Nicola Roberts track would make it in because it seemed to split opinion cleanly in half. I love it. Not sure why she's wearing a designer nappy in the video, though. That Battles track is amazing as well.

• Paid Members
BONUS TRACK: 'Nightcall' - Kavinsky

Well played, it made by Top 25 of 2010. Cracking track. So did Kavinsky's remix of another track which I can't remember off the top of my head.

EDIT: Adam Woodyatt reminded me of the Breakbot remix, it was that version that I liked and prefer to the original. Therefore, it was another Breakbot track that also made my top 25- Baby I'm Yours.

• Paid Members
Shit, I didn't know Low had done some new stuff this year! For anyone who doesn't know them, they also made THE best Christmas song of all time:-

Wrong Gladders!

Archived