Mr. Seven's Top 50 Songs Of 2011

Mr. Seven

Did Flaming June ever finish his list last year?

Nope. Got requested to finish it a few times though, so tempted to do another one this year if only in the hope that the vile, formal, over-serious, pretentious, pseudo-intellectual write ups give me that final push towards 'Dolt Of The Year' and 'Most Hated Poster: Lifetime Achievement Award'.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Nope. Got requested to finish it a few times though, so tempted to do another one this year if only in the hope that the vile, formal, over-serious, pretentious, pseudo-intellectual write ups give me that final push towards 'Dolt Of The Year' and 'Most Hated Poster: Lifetime Achievement Award'.

In all seriousness, they should do that category this year seeing as though UKFF is 10 years old now.

• Moderators

Bonus Track - decent but utterly uninspiring. Concerning seeing as Seven has alluded to this being better than everything else.

50 - not bad at all, reminds me of DIOYY

49 - really boring and twee

48 - decent, very indie

47 - nice, fun, catchy track

46 - eh, it's ok

Let's resume.

"Why don't you teach your heart to feel?"

#45: 'Love Love' - Take That

Take-That-Progress-album-review-9692-cropped.jpg

Sounds like: Boasting.

Are there still people out there who snicker at the mention of Take That? They've been fucking great since reforming a few years back and even the recruitment of Robbie Williams didn't ruin it. Plus he's fucked off again so that's cause to celebrate. Gary Barlow might be doing his best to ruin his newfound credibility on The X Factor but tunes like this prove he's still a fucking talented songwriter. Incidentally, this is on the X-Men First Class soundtrack despite being tonally fairly off with the movie. Also, I saw the band live over the summer and it was fucking awesome.

"It fuckin' hurt like hell"

#44: 'Ghost On The Dance Floor' - Blink-182

Blink-182-2011.jpg

Sounds like: A false dawn.

Great track to kick off the comeback album and a much stronger track than lead single 'Up All Night'. Sadly the record itself is pretty front-loaded and can't come close to the excellent self-titled effort that Blink bowed out with in 2003. 'Ghost...' is essentially a microcosm of the album, with a sense of compromise hanging over it. Tom is very much in Angels And Airwaves mode - which it turns out is surprisingly tolerable when paired up with Mark and Travis, the latter of whom is, of course, the standout. I still kinda wished we got another +44 album instead.

"Woo!"

#43: 'Midnight Midnight' - Le Galaxie

Le-Galaxie-450x300-AU-exclusive.jpg

Sounds like: A fucking belter.

Currently in the process of climbing the frankly incestuous and tricky ladder that is the Irish music scene, Dublin electro kings Le Galaxie are one of the most exciting groups to come along for quite some time. Obsessed with the 80's, synths, the future and various other fun and games, they pack as much punch as possible into their work. And they're an even better proposition live, often bathing whatever venue they grace in neon while tearing the place apart with their reverb-assisted sound.

"Don't ever look back"

#42: 'Sail Away' - The Rapture

The-Rapture-Band-2011.jpg

Sounds like: Growing older.

Best known for stomping cowbell-assisted floorfillers like 'House Of Jealous Lovers' and 'Out Of The Races And Onto The Tracks', New York hipsters The Rapture surprised plenty of people with latest album In The Grace Of Your Love, pretty much right from the opening bars of this opening track. A much more patient affair than what I'm used to from these guys, there's a sense running through the song (and the album) that vocalist Luke Jenner has lost a lot more than just his bass player since 2006's Pieces Of The People We Love.

"L! O! V-E!"

#41: 'Beat Of My Drum' - Nicola Roberts

52563984_nicola_roberts466.jpg

Sounds like: A winning formula.

Nicola Roberts is never going to land a string of solo #1's but she's unlikely to crash and burn like fellow Girls Aloud bandmate Nadine Coyle either. In fact, she's the most credible of that group simply by always being the one singled out for being 'ginger' or 'porcelain' or 'ugly' or whatever bullshit tag she got landed with. That aspect, coupled with the presence of Diplo, meant 'Beat Of My Drum' was always going to be swallowed up by the bloggers and mp3 aggregators. The unkind have speculated that the lyrics are knowingly taking the piss out of Roberts, but that's probably off the mark. Either way, song is fucking awesome.

Two interesting points that this thread has brough up, already;

1) I'd argue that Blink's self-titled effort (which was released in '03, not '05 Chuckles) is the bravest rock record of the last ten years, all things considered. And, it's a fucking belter, too.

2) If PJ Harvey doesn't make this list, I riot. The same goes for Radiohead, Tom Waits, Kurt Vile, The Decemberists and Kate Bush.

Archived