Favourite music genre

Trevor

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Changes constantly to be honest but mainly Shoegaze and early Industrial at the moment with a ton of Neo-Folk thrown in but saying that, next week i could be exclusively listening to hip-hop. There isn't one genre i'd say i dislike as a whole.

:confused: I'm clearly well out of touch.

Any kind of music you can squeeze under the 'dance' genre, unless it's too mainstream (not being pretentious, but just because generally the more mainstream=the more shit the dance music is). For example, David Guetta is fucking rotten. I love Trance, House, Electro, Hard Dance, Tech, Drum & Bass, Breaks, Hardcore- quite literally anything. Have been really getting into Dubstep lately too.

I do like my Alternative rock now and then too, and love some 80s stuff- power ballads and anything produced by Giorgio Morodor and such. Some early techno pioneer stuff too such as Kraftwerk. I do enjoy a bit of classic rock now and then too.

I've hated pretty much all Hip Hop & RnB from around 2002 onwards, but I do love anything from those genres up until that point. Give me a mid-90s Death Row joint any day of the week, and also some 80s synthelicious Afrika Bambaata too. Hate Grime with a passion.

Hate all metal/punk stuff that has been around over the past 15 years, though I do love some proper original English metal from the early days now and then.

Jazz is nice, Country I can tolerate, Swing is pretty cool and Motown/Soul is ok. Don't like ballads- apart from power ones.

There's already a lot of words in this thread that I don't understand. What is neo-folk?

I don't really pay attention to genres, but I like stuff thats expansive and warm sounding (think Radiohead meets Pink Floyd and saying 'So, Floyd, what do you think of them young'uns, Angels and Airwaves, good ain't they...?'). Generally speaking.

• Moderators
Changes constantly to be honest but mainly Shoegaze and early Industrial at the moment with a ton of Neo-Folk thrown in but saying that, next week i could be exclusively listening to hip-hop. There isn't one genre i'd say i dislike as a whole.

Curious as to what kind of hip hop you listen to..?

The stereotype (from what I know of your tastes) would have been Def Jux/ Anticon style stuff a few years ago. Not sure what the modern equivalent would be.

For my part, I listen to a shitload of hip hop and I'm also a big jazz fan. Those are the ones I listen to most. I do like a lot of other stuff too.

Chest is a guru of hip hop, his Brother Ali rep is still the best advice i've ever been given.

I love hip-hop I really do, but I find there's so much shit to wade through before you find a diamond that I wouldn't class it as a 'favourite' genre. Same with Reggae, I adore my favourite reggae artists but don't like enough of them to say 'favourite genre'.

Curious as to what kind of hip hop you listen to..?

The stereotype (from what I know of your tastes) would have been Def Jux/ Anticon style stuff a few years ago. Not sure what the modern equivalent would be.

For my part, I listen to a shitload of hip hop and I'm also a big jazz fan. Those are the ones I listen to most. I do like a lot of other stuff too.

Eh, i do like some of that stuff along with Doom and the like. Pretty much what gets called "hipster" but i love stuff like Rhyme Asylum and early 90's commercial gangster rap also.

To answer a couple of other things, Shoegaze is an indie sub-genre from the early 90's that generaly has a thick wall of dreamy/droney guitar sounds, The Verve started off in the genre before becoming big. Neo-Folk on the other hand has it's feet in Industrial and Punk scenes, a lot of the time having a martial feeling but can sometimes also fall into murky Nazi waters even if the groups don't agree with the ideology themselves.

• Moderators
Chest is a guru of hip hop, his Brother Ali rep is still the best advice i've ever been given.

I love hip-hop I really do, but I find there's so much shit to wade through before you find a diamond that I wouldn't class it as a 'favourite' genre. Same with Reggae, I adore my favourite reggae artists but don't like enough of them to say 'favourite genre'.

Cheers slick!

See, I would class it as a favourite because I'm actually willing to wade through all the shit to find the gems. I don't have the kind of time and energy to do that with all the genres I like, but I do with hip hop. That's how I used to be when I was really into metal with that.

Oh, and whilst I'm here, here's a track that I think is definitely your kind of beat, dAz.

The video is a sampler he did with a bit of two different tracks so I set it to start at the second. That beat is produced by Blue Sky Black Death - they do a lot of very cool orchestral/classical epic sounding beats. They've worked with a bunch of MCs and also make instrumental albums. The album with Hell Razah is a bit cack unfortunately, the one with Jean Grae is good. (OK I'll stop now before I get carried away).

• Paid Members

I like a bit of lots of stuff - 80s hair rock, some metal, some skate punk, some proper 70s-80s punk, a lot of bands my friends call "indie," but I think my absolute favourite is 1980s pop, and I choose to distinguish 80s pop from the rest, because there has been some utter utter shite distributed under the "pop" banner in the last 20 years, so to play it safe, I'll stick to the 80s cheers.

I struggle to name a favourite genre these days. The genres I'm most knowledgable about are mid-90's Hip Hop, late 60's Rock and Hard-Bop Jazz, but that's because those are the genres I was most passionate about at the end of my teens when my memory still functioned optimally and I retained a photographic memory for tracklists and production credits. The last couple of years (I'm now 24) I've moved more and more towards electronic music, and barely check for new stuff in the above genres. I suppose I feel like I've finished with them.

Almost everything I download and buy these days is some derivation (or combination) of techno, dub, dubstep, glitch or ambient, although I don't devour music with the same intensity or levels of concentration as I once did and still sound like a pretender when I try to carry a conversation about those genres with people more knowledgable about them than I.

Any thoughts on Curren$y, Chest? If you're not aware of him he's a prolific mixtape rapper from Louisiana (IIRC) loosely affiliated to L'il Wayne somehow who's started getting proper studio albums out the last few years. I know Alchemist's produced a few beats for him. I've been told by a few people that he's the guy to re-ignite my interest in rap but so far I'm not feeling him. I'm worried it means I'm not a b-boy anymore :(.

• Paid Members

My favourite genre of music is definitely metal, I like all sorts of stuff and I'm really into loads of 80s new wave and punk bands, It annoys me when someone thinks because I like metal I need to be educated in other genres, I know all about all kinds of music, I just like metal most. I don't really follow trends in Metal and I don't listen to much new american stuff, I love 80s american metal, black metal, death metal loads but my fave is thrash/hardcore crossover.

PS It really annoyed me when everyone started slagging off metal in one of the other threads.

Archived