Where did it all go wrong

air_raid

• Paid Members
Can we have The Big Show coming through the canvas as a debut rather than a match, because that was fucking spectacular.

Yes, yes you can. Those first two appearances made Show look like a real player, and for the money Vince was paying him, he always should have been a player. I really think having his first televised clean pinfall loss (to Austin) as early as a Raw twixt Massacre and 'Mania was a mistake, they could have built him up as impossible and made it a big deal when the oak was finally cut down.

The Big Show is a strange one because he was booked so shit for so many years, one month he'd be an unstoppable heel monster, the next a loveable goofy babyface, then he was doing impressions, or he was Undertaker's apprentice etc. etc. It's only really in the past few years that they have booked him strongly and how he should be booked. Now I personally love the guy and he's one of the best guys they have.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My memory fails me now; what was Nathan Jones's debut? I remember being excited about him before he turned up.

His 'coming soon' vignettes made him look the business. I only remember him from one match- as part of Team Lesnar at SS 2003. Why did he flop- what was the story there?

Matt Morgan also made his debut in this match as part of Team Lesnar. If I recall correctly, Jones and Morgan were meant to be tag-team but, of course, after Nathan Jones left and the idea was dropped, and Morgan disappeared until his re-debut as Carlito's stuttering enforcer. Was the departure of Nathan Jones the beginning of the end of Matt Morgan's career? Is it that where it all started to go wrong for him?

Alberto Del Rio.

His vignettes were soooo boring, but once he actually debuted he came across as this hard bastard who happened to be a snob. He went from that to becoming more vulnerable and goofy.

• Paid Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBa6TD6kSoo

Beaver Cleavage. This doesn't quite fit in as he was obviously shit but I've always found this hilarious for some reason. A musclebound wrestler pretending to be a 1950s child while his attractive mother makes constant innuendos all to a laugh track. It was hilariously bizarre.

Could have been a HUGE deal. I wish someone else would try this gimmick out.

Aye Waylon Mercy is a pretty good candidate for this. Absolutely batshit insane promo vignettes and a ridiculous/hilarious gimmick. Watching him come to ringside with that piano theme just shaking hands with everyone from the crowd to the ref to his opponent then turning into a lunatic was mindblowing. Shame the injuries took their toll because Dan Spvey was a pretty great wrestler, and the character was amazing.

• Moderators

I wouldn't say Spivey was a great wrestler to be fair. He had a shitload of shockers. I still have nightmares about the Golden Boy matches I saw. He was good with the right opponent is the fairest way I can put it.

He tended to use a finish where he do a move and get rolled up when it impacted quite a bit when he was jobbing as well.

Matt Morgan also made his debut in this match as part of Team Lesnar. If I recall correctly, Jones and Morgan were meant to be tag-team but, of course, after Nathan Jones left and the idea was dropped, and Morgan disappeared until his re-debut as Carlito's stuttering enforcer. Was the departure of Nathan Jones the beginning of the end of Matt Morgan's career? Is it that where it all started to go wrong for him?

To be fair, he's had a decent run in TNA, he just doesnt seem to be getting much better.

Had so much potential, had they just continued on the path they'd started.

Instead, WWE got lazy and booked 'shock angles' and the character was ditched.

Muhammad Hassan - http://youtu.be/IFJv0lohYw0

Plus, evil Doink was fucking great. WWF should never have ditched Matt Borne, turned the character face and debuted Dink. Gimmick was the drizzling shits after that.

Those Sean O'Haire videos give me goosebumps, no exaggerations. I think they're my favourite videos the WWE have ever ever made, and despite what a letdown it was in the end, part of me thinks nothing live could have lived up to the sheer brilliance of them. 2003 WWE was completely in the toilet creatively too, lacking identity and focus and chucking legends out there in place of decent storylines, which only made the fleeting minutes these played stand out even more.

By all accounts O'Haire was a massive cunt to deal with, so I reckon they must have had most of these in the can, then realised he was a bit of a bellend and sunk him with that Piper affiliation and Rikishi feud. Especially considering his debut TV appearance involved him convincing Spanky to run around with his nob out. Those vignettes were blatantly, blatantly good enough to have him interject at something at the top level, but they were so good, I don't think the writers could actually figure away to mould all that into a wrestling storyline.

All in all a big shame, really.

• Paid Members

I was trying to remember who the other big Sean O'Haire vignette fan was round here recently, I'd forgotten it was you, NEWM!

He also had this cracking little exchange with Dawn Marie:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw3GCXvgP9o

Still massively disappointing it never went anywhere, whatever the reasons were.

Considering how they barely extended it further than the vignettes, and that very few of today's WWE audience will have been watching in 2003, I've always wondered why they haven't given somebody else a shot at the Sean O'Haire gimmick. Considering how few interesting characters there are these days, it's tailor-made for another run out.

Archived