Where did it all go wrong

air_raid

• Paid Members

This might be a good place to put this in here. Some poster on another board compiled a list of the history of vignettes. Looks complete:

Recent People (2010-2011)

- Johnny Curtis

- Sin Cara

- Alberto Del Rio

- Brodus Clay's Return

Others in recent years:

- Sheamus (2009)

- Kizarny (2008)

- R-Truth (2008)

- Umaga's Return (2008)

- Kofi Kingston (2007)

- Codebreaker Y2J (2007)

- Jimmy Wang Yang (2006)

- Highlanders (2006)

- Cryme Tyme (2006)

- Kerwin White (2005)

- Chris Masters (2005)

- Boogeyman (2005)

- Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch (2005)

- Kenzo Suzuki (2004)

- Simon Dean (2004)

- Gail Kim (2003)

BACK IN THE DAY

- Cpl Kirchner (1985)

8/3/85 - included WWF IC Champion Tito Santana as a guest of the Piper's Pit; featured the first vignette promoting the debut of Cpl Kirchner, shown during the 'Update' segment

- Million Dollar Man (1987)

6/27/87 - included Bobby Heenan, Hercules, King Harley Race, King Kong Bundy, & Paul Orndorff as guests of the Snake Pit; featured an 'Update' segment in which Craig DeGeorge interviewed Slick & Butch Reed, with Reed claiming he was in better shape than Superstar Billy Graham and said he would watch the following week to see Graham in training; included the first vignette promoting the debut of 'The Million $ Man', in which Ted Dibiase received a paper cut from counting his money, had Virgil drive him to the nearest hospital, and then paid the receptionist with several hundred dollar bills to receive immediate medical attention; featured more footage of Jesse Ventura in the film 'Predator':

- Mr. Perfect (1988)

10/1/88 - included Gene Okerlund conducting an interview with Ted Dibiase & Bobby Heenan where Dibiase announced he had purchased Hercules from Heenan to be his slave; moments later, Hercules was about to attack Heenan but was jumped from behind by Dibiase & Virgil before Hercules eventually cleared both men from the platform; featured the first 'Mr Perfect' vignette in which he was seen playing pool

- Dusty Rhodes (1989)

6/3/89 - included Slick as a guest of the Brother Love Show in which Slick would not comment on the rumors that he was trying to sign Zeus under contract; featured the first vignette ("pizza man") promoting the debut of Dusty Rhodes; included hype for "No Holds Barred", which had opened the previous night:

- Sgt. Slaughter's Return (1990)

7/21/90 - featured an 'Update' segment where it was announced Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart would face WWF Tag Team Champions Demolition at Summer Slam in a Best 2 out of 3 falls contest and only two members of Demolition would be allowed at ringside; it was also announced that despite Brutus Beefcake being sidelined with injury that WWF IC Champion Mr Perfect will still defend the IC Title at Summer Slam; included the announcement WWF World Champion the Ultimate Warrior would face Rick Rude in a steel cage match at the show; featured Rick Rude & Bobby Heenan as guests of the Brother Love Show, during which Rude said he would be facing the Warrior before Summer Slam and he would be champion going in to the event; included a promo from Sapphire showing a bracelet she had received from a mystery admirer; featured the first vignette promoting the return of Sgt Slaughter, with Slaughter saying he was no longer proud of his country after they welcomed Nikolai Volkoff with open arms and that America was soft

- The Mountie (1990)

12/15/90 - included the naming of the final 10 participants for the Royal Rumble match; featured the announcement that the Ultimate Warrior would defend the WWF Championship against Sgt Slaughter at the Rumble; included a vignette promoting the debut of the Mountie; featured a Gobbledy Gooker promo with the Bushwhackers:

- Chris Chavis/Tatanka (1991)

12/29/91 - included Jake Roberts as a guest of the Barber Shop in which he discussed his chances in the 1992 Royal Rumble; featured a 'Special Report' segment where it was announced WWF IC Champion Bret Hart would defend against the Mountie at the Royal Rumble and the final participants for the 30-man Rumble match were named: Jimmy Snuka, Sgt Slaughter, Greg Valentine, the Big Bossman, Shawn Michaels, Marty Jannetty, Rick Martel, Hercules, Col Mustafa, and Sid Justice; a Royal Rumble report later in the show featured the announcement the Bushwhackers would face the Beverly Brothers and the New Foundation would face the Orient Express at the event; included a vignette promoting the debut of Chris Chavis:

- Repo Man (1991)

11/9/91 - included a pre-taped promo by Sid Justice in which it was announced that he had sustained an arm injury, with Sid asking WWF President Jack Tunney to reinstate Randy Savage so that Savage could replace him at the Survivor Series; featured a vignette promoting the debut of Repo Man, with Repo hotwiring a car to reposses it; included a vignette of Sgt Slaughter beside the Statue of Liberty, asking forgiveness from his country:

- El Matador (1991)

9/21/91 - included Ric Flair & Bobby Heenan as guests of the Funeral Parlor in which Flair referred to WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan as "Thunderlips"; featured a vignette promoting the debut of Tito Santana's El Matador gimmick; included the announcement that WWF President Jack Tunney had refused reinstatement of Randy Savage as a wrestler and that Savage trashed Tunney's office after hearing the news; during an 'Update' segment later in the show, Gene Okerlund conducted an interview with Savage at his home, during which Savage thanked Sid Justice for his help during the wedding reception and said Justice could get revenge for Savage since Savage couldn't do it for himself:

- Skinner (1991)

7/6/91 - featured an in-ring segment with Gene Okerlund, Randy Savage, and Miss Elizabeth in which Savage got down on one knee and asked Elizabeth to marry him, which she accepted; included the announcement that WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan & the Ultimate Warrior would face Sgt Slaughter, Gen Adnan, & Col Mustafa in a handicap match at Summer Slam with a special referee to be announced at a later date; featured the first vignette promoting the debut of Skinner:

- IRS (1991)

3/30/91 - included the debut of the Funeral Parlor, hosted by Paul Bearer; featured Randy Savage's debut as a color commentator, alongside Vince McMahon & Roddy Piper; included an opening 'Update' segment showing the backstage fireball incident between Hulk Hogan and Sgt Slaughter following the main event of WrestleMania VII; featured the first vignette promoting the debut of IRS

- Bob Backlund (1992)

- Bam Bam Bigelow (1992)

11/14/92 - included a vignette promoting the return of Bob Backlund; featured an interview with the Natural Disasters & the Nasty Boys regarding their match at the Survivor Series, taped in late October; featured an 'Update' segment showing highlights of the Bret Hart / Berzerker world title bout from the previous Monday's Prime Time Wrestling and included comments from Hart and Virgil regarding their match the following week; included a vignette promoting the debut of Bam Bam Bigelow; featured footage of the Undertaker building his casket for the Survivor Series, during which Paul Bearer said the finished product would be shown the following week:

- Razor Ramon (1992)

6/14/92 - featured a 'Special Report' segment focusing on the Ultimate Warrior / Papa Shango feud; included the first vignette promoting the debut of Razor Ramon; featured Bobby Heenan speaking on the phone with the injured Big Bossman in which Bossman said he would be returning very soon and then hung up on Heenan after Heenan insulted him; included Gene Okerlund conducting an empty arena interview with WWF World Champion Randy Savage in which Savage said he would break the rules if necessary to keep his title against Ric Flair:

- Crush (1992)

4/26/92 - included Gene Okerlund conducting a podium interview with Jimmy Hart, WWF Tag Team Champions Ted Dibiase & IRS; featured a 'Special Report' segment showing last week's interview from WWF Superstars with the Ultimate Warrior; included a vignette promoting the debut of Crush; included closing comments from Davey Boy Smith and Repo Man about their scheduled match the following week:

- Papa Shango (1992)

2/1/92 - featured an opening segment showing footage from the WrestleMania VIII Press Conference; featured a vignette promoting the debut of Papa Shango; included Sensational Sherri as a guest of the Funeral Parlor in which Sherri admitted she had found the man of her dreams and it was Shawn Michaels

- "The Narcissis" Lex Luger (1993)

1/16/93 - featured a Bobby Heenan vignette to promote the debut of "Narcissis" at the Royal Rumble; included the announcement that the Nasty Boys, Skinner, Repo Man, Damien Demento, Owen Hart, & Koko B Ware would be participants in the Royal Rumble match; featured Raymond Rougeau conducting an interview with WWF IC Champion Shawn Michaels about his match with Marty Jannetty at the Royal Rumble, with Michaels stating Sensational Sherri would definitely be in his corner; included an 'Update' segment showing the aftermath of Kamala's match last week, where he split with Harvey Wippleman and Kimchee and joined Slick, with comments from Wippleman where he stated the WWF would never be the same again after he drops the "big bomb":

- Kwang (1993)

12/27/93 - included WWF Tag Team Champions the Quebecars as guest commentators for the show; included a visit to the Undertaker's workshop where he and Paul Bearer were preparing for the casket match at the Royal Rumble against Yokozuna; included a vignette promoting the debut of Kwang:

- Jeff Jarrett (1993)

10/18/93 - included a Survivor Series Report hosted by Joe Fowler; included a vignette promoting the debut of Jeff Jarrett, showing Jarrett at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville

- The Smoking Gunns (1993)

4/25/93 - included a 'Special Report' segment focusing on the feud between Sensational Sherri and Luna Vachon; featured the first vignette promoting the debut of the Smoking Gunns; included Jim Ross reading a statement from WWF President Jack Tunney announcing Tunney had begun an investigation into Lex Luger's forearm and x-rays revealed Luger had a steel plate surgically implanted in it which was why he had knocked out all his opponents; because it was part of his body, Tunney was unable to do anything about it; featured Ray Rougeau conducting a podium interview with Luger, where he discussed Bret Hart with Luger claiming he was the reason Hart lost the WWF World Title at WrestleMania IX; included closing comments from Luger and Bob Backlund about their King of the Ring qualifying match the following week:

- Men on the Mission (1993)

6/26/93 - featured an "Update" segment hosted by Gorilla Monsoon in which he acknowledged the three WWF Tag Team Title changes between Money Inc and the Steiner Brothers over the previous two weeks, and showed stills from the three matches, as well as comments from the new champions the Steiners; included a promo from WWF World Champion Yokozuna & Mr Fuji in which Fuji challenged any American athlete to bodyslam Yoko on the USS Intrepid on July 4 during the Stars & Stripes Challenge; featured promos from Crush and Tatanka in which they said they would slam Yoko on the Intrepid; included the 1-2-3 Kid / Razor Ramon match from Monday Night Raw, shown in full; featured a Men on a Mission rap vignette promoting their debut; included Bonnie Blackstone conducting a podium interview with Bam Bam Bigelow in which he said he had fallen in love and then brought out Luna Vachon; featured the premiere of Jim Duggan's "USA" music video:

1994 Loved Vignettes:

- Thurman 'Sparky' Plugg (1994)

1/2/94 - featured Lord Alfred Hayes hosting a "Special Report" segment hyping the upcoming casket match at the Royal Rumble between the Undertaker and WWF World Champion Yokozuna, with comments from the Undertaker & Paul Bearer; included Stan Lane conducting an in-ring interview with Yokozuna, Mr Fuji, & Jim Cornette regarding the Rumble match, during which Yoko became scared after hearing the word "casket;" featured a vignette promoting the debut of Thurman "Sparky" Plugg

- Duke Drose (1994)

4/18/94 - included WWF Women's Champion Alundra Blayze as a guest of the King's Court in which Luna Vachon interrupted; featured the announcement that the following week WWF President Jack Tunney would give his decision as to whether or not the Headshrinkers would receive a tag team title shot; included a vignette promoting the debut of Duke Drose

- Abe Schwartz (1994)

7/16/94 - included the announcement that WWF World Champion Bret Hart would defend against Owen Hart in a steel cage match at Summer Slam; featured Tatanka as a guest of the Heartbreak Hotel in which Tatanka claimed Lex Luger had sold out to Ted Dibiase and then showed footage from the previous Monday's Raw in which Jerry Lawler interviewed Dibiase and Dibiase said he had bought Luger; Tatanka then said Luger wants a title around his waist, noting WWF IC Champion Diesel would defend against Luger during the next Raw; included a vignette promoting the debut of Abe Schwartz; featured a promo by Bob Backlund in which he said he was ready for a WWF World Title shot and hoped Bret Hart would accept his challenge to a match:

- Hakushi (1994)

- Henry Godwinn (1994)

12/10/94 - included a vignette promoting the debut of Hakushi; featured a vignete promoting the debut of Henry Godwinn; included the unveiling of the bracketing of the WWF Tag Team Title Tournament and the announcement that the finals would take place at the Royal Rumble

- Skip & Sunny (1995)

5/8/95 - included the first vignette promoting the debut of Skip & Sunny - the Bodydonnas; featured a Bam Bam Bigelow vignette in which he discussed his loss at the Royal Rumble, his problems with Lawrence Taylor, his loss and newfound friendship with WWF World Champion Diesel, and stated he would go through each member of the Million $ Corporation as payback

- Waylon Mercy (1995)

6/3/95 - included a vignette promoting the debut of Waylon Mercy; featured an interview with Bertha Faye and Harvey Wippleman:

- Dr Isaac Yankem (1995)

6/26/95

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I was actually thinking of starting a thread about 'coming soon' vignettes, because I don't think they do it nearly enough. Nothing says 'this guy is a big deal' like a series of cool vignettes to get you excited for their debut. Conversely, nothing says 'this guy is a nobody' like debuting on NXT as a rookie to a jobber like JTG, with not even as much as a theme tune of your own. I think that's been a problem with the way in which WWE have presented new talent in recent years.

My memory fails me now; what was Nathan Jones's debut? I remember being excited about him before he turned up.

His 'coming soon' vignettes made him look the business. I only remember him from one match- as part of Team Lesnar at SS 2003. Why did he flop- what was the story there?

He was shit in the ring. Ivory summed it up when she said "when he threw his first punch everybody thought 'pussy'". He didn't bother coming back to work after a tour outside the US because he didn't like wrestling.

A complete waste of time and money.

I didn't think he was that bad when I saw Nathan Jones on the World Wrestling All-stars tour in Newcastle. However, I was 13 and this is before I had found the UKFF.

I was 19 for that tour and he was fucking dreadful and hadnt improved at all by the time he arrived in WWE a year or two later, great look, nothing else

• Paid Members

They missed Kharma off that list of vignettes. That one also turned out well...so far anyway. Also I remember Dean Douglas' vignettes well. Also turned out well.

Looked at the list of vignettes, so many of them ended up falling to shit, didn't they? Bit of a curse.

Raven at least looked set for a midcard spot in the WWF when he debuted v Lawler. After that he might've got a pin on Jericho or someone in a multiman match, then it was straight downhill. To call it a burial would be extremely kind. It probably all went wrong when Vince found out he had been signed. At least he had a minor resurgance the following spring so he at least got a WM appearance and neat Rhino match out of his dire run.

Back in early 2000 I was right into the flying, and was quite excited for Essa Rios. Then when you got see him for a few weeks it was apparent he was a bit shit, and the flippy stuff he was doing was pretty tame in comparison to what he was doing a couple of years earlier. At least there was Lita when she wore stuff that actually made her look good. After the hardys mini-feud and Lita went with them, it was straight down to Metal duty for him.

Maybe not strictly what the topic's asking for, as he disappeared rather than turned shit, but I liked Big Bully Busick. That was a class gimmick and he looked a pretty solid bugger. I wished he hung around longer. Same with a lot of those early 90s guys - Max Moon, Lance Cassidy etc.

The ones that instantly sprung to mind for me though were mentioned in the first couple of posts - Ahmed and Tazz.

I am stunned to read that Essa Rios is only 32. I thought he was much older for some reason.

To be fair I don't blame you, it was 14 years ago this month that he first appeared in WWE, although he didn't become a regular as Essa Rios. He's 9 days younger than me, I'd never have thought that for a second.

• Paid Members
My memory fails me now; what was Nathan Jones's debut? I remember being excited about him before he turned up.

His 'coming soon' vignettes made him look the business. I only remember him from one match- as part of Team Lesnar at SS 2003. Why did he flop- what was the story there?

He was shit in the ring. Ivory summed it up when she said "when he threw his first punch everybody thought 'pussy'". He didn't bother coming back to work after a tour outside the US because he didn't like wrestling.

A complete waste of time and money.

If i remeber rightly, the story was he just upped and left during the touring as he couldnt handle it. I think it was from somebodys shoot interview but they said "A guy who spent X ammount time in an australian prison, just gets up leaves because he cant handle it?".

• Paid Members
Can we have The Big Show coming through the canvas as a debut rather than a match, because that was fucking spectacular.

Yes, yes you can. Those first two appearances made Show look like a real player, and for the money Vince was paying him, he always should have been a player. I really think having his first televised clean pinfall loss (to Austin) as early as a Raw twixt Massacre and 'Mania was a mistake, they could have built him up as impossible and made it a big deal when the oak was finally cut down.

Adding to the above list... Carlito had vignettes before he turned up.

And what debut that was! Showing up on TV and pinning John Cena in your first match, for a title no less. Of course, it would be a hundred times more impactful to do that now, but even then I was shocked.

Archived