Wrestlers (past and Present) who are spoken in the highest regards....

Mr.Wrestling

I haven't seen this type of topic discussed recently on the forums and I believe it would be an interesting topic to discuss. It seems, to me, that it's very easy in the wrestling business for the wrestlers, themselves, to curse, be resentful and frankly bitch and moan about another fellow performer. Accusations of politicking backstage, no selling, not dropping the belt, refusal to put someone (usually younger talent) over, lack of talent, nepotism, hogging of the limelight, and being a general a-hole are usually rife in pro wrestling. However, I want to flip that convention and discuss wrestlers who are mostly spoken with the highest regards by their comtemporaries.

The list of names I thought of, at the top of my head, are as follows;

Randy Savage

Ricky Steamboat

Chris Jericho

Undertaker

Junkyard Dog

Whenever I've watched shoot interviews or read interview transcripts, and any of the names above get mentioned, I don't think I've heard anything negative or pejorative about these guys. They are usually deeply respected for their in-ring ability, mic skills, leadership qualities backstage (Taker) or their likeble personality in and out of the squared circle (I'm thinking of Steamboat in this case)

Despite the topic title; this is not limited purely to wrestlers. It could be managers; Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart or Lou Albano IMO come to mind.

• Paid Members

Absolutely no-one seems to have a bad word to say about Kane. Whenever his name is brought up in shoots, he is usually accompanied by gushing compliments and praise. By all accounts, he could be the nicest guy in wrestling, everyone seems to have time for him no matter what age or experience they are.

• Paid Members
Randy Savage

Chris Jericho

These two I've heard slagged off a lot. Obviously its cooled down since his death, but Savage was given plenty of verbal abuse by other wrestlers for being a complete nutcase with his wife and having a complete fucked up personality, which lead to him alienating all his pals by just fucking off and never talking to them again. He sucker punched Hawk at a Kid Rock concert as well, which a lot of wrestlers didnt like. He was completely off his tits for years before he died, which put a lot of people off as well. The TNA thing and the Hogan thing for example made him a joke figure. And Jericho's always been an equired taste by his comtemporaries.

Everyones going to get a bit of a slagging to be fair, though, so you will always find something about someone, but who ever says anything bad about Sting? Austin, Triple H, Undertaker and Foley were working under him and he treated them like they were on his level. Vince McMahon allowed him to use WCW footage in his little biopic. Hogan's pals with him, Flair loves him, Bret Hart likes him, Hall and Nash are good mates with him. Shawn Michaels who ever worked with him in any promotion is in the God Squad with him and they have been known to pop up on all kinds of Jesus based programmes working the gimmick, daddy. They even do a promo off at a Jesus Championship Wrestling show. Sting is King. He's a great bloke.

• Paid Members

Ive heard Triple H bashed by a fair few guys.

You never really hear anyone badmouthing Eddie Guerrero. Undertaker seems to be respected by all, whether that is because he's a great leader and incredibly unselfish individual or because they are scared he will murder them...who knows. Big Show is another guy that seems well liked.

• Paid Members
Sting is King. He's a great bloke.

One of my favourite "he's a great bloke" stories, is after Hugh Morris won the US title, WCW got all the midcard boys to join him in the ring and do the Bret Hart 'Mania celebration. After Morris made it backstage Sting found him and apologised for not being out there for him, as nobody told Sting (or didn't find out) until it was too late. Pretty cool of Sting to leave his game of Monopoly with Lex Luger and Elizabeth when he found out Morris won and apologise. WCW main eventers were notorious for avoiding everybody but their small group at the time.

One of my favourite "he's a great bloke" stories, is after Hugh Morris won the US title, WCW got all the midcard boys to join him in the ring and do the Bret Hart 'Mania celebration. After Morris made it backstage Sting found him and apologised for not being out there for him, as nobody told Sting (or didn't find out) until it was too late. Pretty cool of Sting to leave his game of Monopoly with Lex Luger and Elizabeth when he found out Morris won and apologise. WCW main eventers were notorious for avoiding everybody but their small group at the time.

Didnt Vampiro slag Sting of?

• Paid Members

Vampiro is a renowned jobby.

John Cena has to be one of the main ones.

Everyone is very complimentary of how he treats everyone in the company on the same level.

Funny you mentoned that as Michael Tarver would probably disagree with you(the guy formerly from Nexus who had that "super punch" as his finisher). Tarver hasn't been exactly complementary about Cena. There's an interview he did for some wrestling radio show where he talks about how he respects John Cena from a professional standpoint, but Cena didn't treat well outside the ring. He also talked about an angle where Cena supposedly bashed him repeatedly with a chair, injuring his arm badly in the process and that Cena allegedly refused to shake his hand and laughed at him.

Here it is from Tarver himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eym3mUHPNYk (the first 3 seconds probably best sum up his feelings about Cena)

• Paid Members

Probably. But I've not heard any one else slag Sting off, nor Kane.

Archived