Monday Night Raw - November 21st 2011 Discussion

ThePhenom

• Paid Members

At worst his actual supporters stop buying his merchandise, sponsors no longer want someone who is portrayed as the top bad guy on the show as their main source of advertisment and ratings and buyrates stay as they are. He's in a position where people are going to pay to see Cena wrestle the Rock and it'll probably do the biggest buyrate they've ever had. Nobody else could do that alongside the Rock. Why do people have such a hard on for crowd reaction? Crowd reaction means nothing. Otherwise Cody Rhodes would have had the same massive reaction he got on Sunday all year round. There are people who actually like Cena. If he turns and alienates them, and they stop buying into him then its a completely stupid move. Fans boo him, yet he's the biggest grossing star by miles, ahead of everyone. You dont mess with that. It doesnt matter if he gets booed.

I'd love to be in the room when McMahon tries and justifies a Cena heel turn to the stockholders, though.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see all the business arguments for keeping Cena face, and in truth it's why I can't be arsed with the WWE anymore. It's as stale as can be, and will continue to be so as long as Cena's on top playing out the same role in the same feuds. I've said it before, but eight or nine years on top playing the same character is going to be creative purgatory for anybody in today's overexposed WWE, so it's no wonder Cena's act feels as old as time. At the same time, he's their Mickey Mouse - a child-friendly, sponsor-friendly cartoon with a two-dimensional persona that doesn't really evolve, but is inoffensive and has a perennial appeal to kids and conservative adults.

I'll watch Wrestlemania because it's the fucking Rock, but I haven't watched RAW for months now, and I don't feel like I'm missing out in the slightest. The company's just not aimed at me anymore.

• Paid Members

This feud with the Rock can't doing well for Cena at the minute. He looked so much like a bitch at S.S it was quite embarrassing. He just looks so below The Rock and doesn't looking like doing anything to make himself look a threat.

I wonder if he keeps getting so outclassed in this feud if eventually his pops/merch sale take a hit post Wrestlemania.

• Paid Members

Finally got round to watching Raw and I thought it was excellent again.

The thing with WWE for months is that although angles haven't been seen through or have just disappeared completely, the actual wrestling and matches have been fantastic. Ziggler v Punk was clearly the highlight, a completely superb match that could easily have headlined a PPV and I'm sure it will one day, but in amongst it you also had Barrett (with his cloak and shit hair) v Kingston having an absolutely fine match as well as decent little efforts between Del Rio and Ryder plus Swagger v Sheamus.

Miz's mini promo to Cena was utterly inspired and I was hoping he'd go on, but the final segment as a whole was excellent. There was very little wrong with the show except Nash and Big Show cutting pointless promos and the utterly shit and meaningless Diva bit. Still, at least they didn't wrestle.

But really, it was just a superb show, I thought.

I think there's a danger that Cena is becoming so unpopular that if they do turn him it wont be as well received as it could have.

No way - if Cena came out on Raw and did a "You fans can stick it brotha" type promo it would have the desired effect, kids crying into their purple t-shirts etc. Im not saying they should, but it would be really effective in my opinion.

• Paid Members
There was very little wrong with the show except Nash and Big Show cutting pointless promos

Nash is just so shit on the mic, and Im pretty sure he wasnt this bad before. He actually makes me cringe every time he talks, and there's noone on the roster that makes me do that at the moment.

Archived