Monday Night Raw - November 21st 2011 Discussion

ThePhenom

So I haven't seen a thread about last night's Raw, so I thought I'd start one as I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on it. I have seen worse, and I have seen better is what came to mind after I finished watching it. I thought that CM Punk and Dolph Ziggler had a fine match, and I'm begging for Ziggler to be put back into the main event scene as he has vastly improved in my eyes. The crowd were totally dead for the whole show though which is a shame. And Cena was out there smiling as expected which got on my nerves more than a bit, but I thought Truth and Miz turning on each other was handled brilliantly by the pair of them. I did think it was ridiculous having Lawler out there like that, all he did all night was grunt every other segment and un-enthusiastically chuckle here and there.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't really interested in seeing Dolph Ziggler Vs CM Punk but the match was excellent. I don't know what happened to Dolph to light this kind of fire in him but he's absolute gold right now, let's hope he gets some big wins soon.

Did anyone notice the Twitter logo fade to static and display a URL with "It begins" in the address during Kofi Kingston's entrance? That's really good stuff right there, very subtle.

The audience wants Ryder, and this time they get him... in a sixty second squash. The companies treatment of Ryder is absolutely astonishing, here's a guy who the audience are going absolutely bananas over yet they keep him off the PPV that took place in his home town then book him in a pointless squash match. I'd love to believe that this is heading towards a huge redemption angle where Ryder will finally prove himself worthy, but it's not going to. Everyone complains about the lack of new stars in the WWE yet anyone who starts getting over seems to have about six week to become the next Rock or Austin before having the rug pulled out from underneath them.

I'm really in to Wade Barrett but the idea of him butting heads with Randy "can't lose a feud" Orton fills me with dread.

John Cena is a total trainwreck right now, if you were watching Raw for the first time last night you'd probably assume that Cena was the biggest heel in the company judging by the crowds reaction to him. He got completely embarrassed at the PPV yet here he is the next day grinning like a spastic and putting over the guy who made him look like a total idiot. I'd love to know what happens backstage when Cena walks out and the audience immediately shit on him, oh to be a fly on the wall during those creative meetings, it must be amazing.

My theory about Miz and Truth teaming together because they had nothing else to do was proved right. No conspiracies, nothing interesting, just a couple of months of them attacking people as a team followed by the inevitable implosion and subsequent feud that nobody wants to see. Good job WWE, thanks for wasting everyone's time on a storyline which never had any kind of payoff to begin with.

Where's Brodus Clay?

The audience wants Ryder, and this time they get him... in a sixty second squash. The companies treatment of Ryder is absolutely astonishing, here's a guy who the audience are going absolutely bananas over yet they keep him off the PPV that took place in his home town then book him in a pointless squash match. I'd love to believe that this is heading towards a huge redemption angle where Ryder will finally prove himself worthy, but it's not going to. Everyone complains about the lack of new stars in the WWE yet anyone who starts getting over seems to have about six week to become the next Rock or Austin before having the rug pulled out from underneath them.

I know. It's almost enough to make someone pretend to be done with WWE.

I'm really in to Wade Barrett but the idea of him butting heads with Randy "can't lose a feud" Orton fills me with dread.

Why? The All Teh Young Heelz Shud Alwayz Win Clean thing, or are you just dreading that Wade will end up BURIED in his feud with Orton, same as Mark Henry did?

I still wanna know who the secret general manager was! Now there's no conspiracy with Miz/Truth! I wish they'd stop dropping storylines dead like we'll forget they existed.

Other than that, Punk/Ziggler was amazing and Rhodes is looking more and more like a future world champion every time he wrestles...and he is wearing knee pads now...yay

Few things from RAW, better from Punk although why get him to pull the company up on the 'Universe' saying and such when its just going to be used by everyone else for the rest of the night as if nothing had been said?

Dolph Ziggler was great and is great, for the first time in years but secondary titles seem to be on exactly the right guys, its a great thing.

The Zach Ryder stuff is baffling, I dont even like the guy, he has an awful look and is nowhere near as charasmatic as some seem to think, but its amazing that he was kept off last nights card and then jobbed the next night.

Why exactly did they run the HHH injury angle when Nash has nothing to do? Is HHH filming another 'movie'? Its really awkward having Nash doing what hes doing, especially when Punk and him didnt settle anything.

I dont like Wade Barrett, he just doesnt do anything for me. I dont buy him in the ring and think he doesnt have a very good look, im surprised theyve persisted with him for so long.

John Cenas stuck in limbo and hes been made to look a fool by a part time attraction, thats their main guy they're making to look a tit. I also dont get why they are so afraid to turn him? The merchandise argument is shit, they can propel someone else like Orton into that main selling position if they wanted and Cena would still shift merchandise as a heel.

EDIT: The It Begins thing appearing as it did was very clever, thats how they should be using social media, not with their shitty plugs for no good reason.

Great to se that Punk is where he needs to be. Punk's 'I want change' phase didn't have much of a leg to stand on in August-September when he was feuding with babyfaces who were trying to one up Punk himself. The fans are now in tune with Punk and feuding with Del Rio has done a lot to help this. I thought Punk and Ziggler's match this week was a blinder and I'd love to see more from these guys.

Cody Rhodes is on fire right now and I'm happy that the rumoured feud with Booker T is now in motion and starting this programme on Raw was a great idea. Rhodes and Barrett are great editions to Raw on a weekly basis and they are both shining right now.

The Awesome Truth break up is a shame. Not too much to say on that really. Cena was out there loving his 'unique moments' of getting shit on again, I would have liked a fiery promo along the lines of 'revenge is a dish served cold Rock, I will beat you at Wrestlemania, I am the better man etc etc'. Instead Miz came across as completely in the right by stating that Cena had to big an ego to acknowledge what actually happened at Survivor Series.

personally I think a slow burning heel turn could work where Cena eventually condemns the fans for booing him and supporting a sell out who has behaved like a villain, a little like Hart and Austin in 1997 from what I remember

• Paid Members

Can you elaborate on that a little? And maybe post something in response to PITCOS' point out Orton losing to Mark Henry?

Is it because he won the feud with Christian? It is, isn't it? See how amazingly important and big time Henry looked when he beat Orton clean two PPV's in a row? You think that would have the same impact if Orton had been losing to every Tom, Dick and Harry for months previously. Surely the point is that you should protect your top stars, like they do with Orton, so when you want to put someone over, it actually means something.

Few things from RAW, better from Punk although why get him to pull the company up on the 'Universe' saying and such when its just going to be used by everyone else for the rest of the night as if nothing had been said?

To pander to Dem Wans.

personally I think a slow burning heel turn could work where Cena eventually condemns the fans for booing him and supporting a sell out who has behaved like a villain, a little like Hart and Austin in 1997 from what I remember

That's all well and good, but WWE's not really changing its direction and target audience like it was in 1997, thus there's no heir apparent to Cena. They're not going to cover all the pencil cases and A4 folders with what looks like a smackhead version of Mike Ness.

Archived