Good/Shit Band names

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

I don't think there are all that many band names that I think are really good, but I like punchy straightforward names. One or two word names like Nirvana or Oasis or Queen or Black Sabbath. "The" names or names that are part of the main guy(s) names like Bon Jovi or Van Halen, that sort of stuff.

Names I hate :

Get Cape Wear Cape Fly

And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead

Death Cab For Cutie

Dogs Die In Hot Cars

I also can't stand the name "Cancer Bats." I'm fairly hard to offend, but putting "cancer" in a band name I find incredibly tasteless. I lost my old man to cancer, and while I'm not thin-skinned enough to choose to buy their music based on their name reminding me of who I've lost to cancer (rather than the fact I think they're toss), I bet there are plenty of people who would, because naming your band after cancer marks you out as cunts, and some people dont want their money supporting the success of cunts.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good :

Radiohead

New Order

Marilyn Manson

Faithless

Placebo

Pink Floyd

The Prodigy

Kraftwerk

The Sex Pistols

Public Image Ltd.

Infected Mushroom

Pet Shop Boys

Crowded House

Bad :

Most of those shit metal ones I can't be arsed listing.

Worst band names:

The Nonce (although it means nothing to do with a peado in America)

Anything based on Norse mythology when the band isn't even from Norway.

My Bloody Valentine, the best indie/rock band ever but a shite name that people get mixed up with some wank metal/emo band.

Coil is a great name that's simple and just rolls off the tongue along with Ride or Lush.

My last band were called Wifebeater, some places turned us down for gigs, saying they liked the music but didn't like the idea of having that on a poster, despite them having "The Killers" and "Dead Kennedys" on posters for nights there.

Alas we would get metalheads assuming we were a metal band. Enjoyed watching them leave after one song.

I think Queens Of The Stone Age gets a bad rap is because it deliberately goes against the uber macho, uber conservative, uber homophobic element that seems nearly everywhere in metal. It is a "faggy" name thus a "faggy" band.

The best band name ive ever heard is The Seal Cub Clubbing Club, its a shame they dont live up to the amazing name

Good:

The Rifles

The Dead 60's

Does It Offend You, Yeah?

Japandroids

Pint Shot Riot

Ripchord

Test Icicles

Bad:

Be Your Own PET

Beans On Toast (Although he's one of my fav singer songwriters)

The Big Pink

Dananananaykroyd

Dustin's Bar Mitzvah

I Was A Cub Scout

Iliketrains

Tapes 'n Tapes

The Ting Tings

• Paid Members
The best band name ive ever heard is The Seal Cub Clubbing Club, its a shame they dont live up to the amazing name

Good:

The Rifles

The Dead 60's

Does It Offend You, Yeah?

Japandroids

Pint Shot Riot

Ripchord

Test Icicles

These are two of the worst band names ever.

Another good one, though - Gay Dad.

Good names:

- The Velvet Underground

- The Doors

- Talking Heads

- Sonic Youth

- Pixies

- Radiohead

- Nirvana

Shit names:

- Prefab Sprout

- My Chemical Romance

- The Ting Tings

- Red Hot Chilli Peppers

- Puddle Of Mudd

- Limp Bizkit

- Foals

- Spandau Ballet

- and 95% of metal bands that have long names like The Gaping Anus Bleeds Like A Tear In The Sunset. Fuck off.

• Paid Members

The Smiths, AC/DC and Super Furry Animals are some of my favourite band names. They are three of my all time favourite bands, but I think the names all suit them perfectly. Guns and Roses was also a perfect name for the band they were too.

There are way too many shit ones to even start with, but I love that rule of thumb that someone came up with earlier in the thread that if you feel like a cunt when saying it out loud, then it's a shit name. I'm going to remember that rule.

Archived