Walt Disney World

PepperPlunge

I worked there for a summer so trying to keep it objective here. Realistically, and as already mentioned, you'd need a LOT more time than that to get the full enjoyment and experience. However since you are not going with kids and on a tight time frame i would suggest going for:

Islands Of Adventure

Universal Studios

Busch Gardens (2-3 hour drive from central Orlando)

MGM Studios

Epcot

In that order, i really don't see much in Magic Kingdom if you aint got kids.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying I'd expect to see all of it. Though saying that, if I'm not seeing much of it, is it worth the hassle of going at all? Probably not I guess.

I think I might just go Disneyland Paris instead of Disney World as I'm trying to crowbar Disney World in due to me not having the foresight to book my holiday around Orlando more.

Thanks again for the advice, people!

I'm going to Orlando next week for two weeks. 7 days at Universal, 8 at Disney.

Hopefully at this time of year it'll be quiet enough to see and do everything I want to do.

I've not been to Sea World since 1991 so will go there while at Universal. Sod going to Busch Gardens - totally overrated.

• Paid Members
2492188[/url]']

I worked there for a summer so trying to keep it objective here. Realistically, and as already mentioned, you'd need a LOT more time than that to get the full enjoyment and experience. However since you are not going with kids and on a tight time frame i would suggest going for:

Islands Of Adventure

Universal Studios

Busch Gardens (2-3 hour drive from central Orlando)

MGM Studios

Epcot

In that order, i really don't see much in Magic Kingdom if you aint got kids.

Magic Kingdom has the best ride in all of Florida though in the shape of the Lucasfilm created Space Adventure, if it's still there IMO. Best if you know nothing about it going in though for the full experience.

Then after that the Aerosmith RockNRolla coaster in Hollywood studios.

My favorite park in Orlando was Sea World though. Best day out. I agree with sgmilne Busch Gardens is over rated. However if you do get e chance check out NASA. Austounding to see up close.

• Paid Members

I went to Orlando back in May this year for the sixth time, I'm totally addicted to it and refuse to hear that there's a better way to spend two weeks of your life.

Top five rides out there for me are:

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (Islands of Adventure)

Hulk (Islands of Adventure)

Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom)

Manta (SeaWorld)

Jurassic Park River Adventure (Islands of Adventure)

Islands of Adventure is just an incredible park. I'm gutted I had to cut Spider-Man, Ripsaw Falls and Dragon Challenge from that list!

• Paid Members
I went to Orlando back in May this year for the sixth time, I'm totally addicted to it and refuse to hear that there's a better way to spend two weeks of your life.

Manta (SeaWorld)

Islands of Adventure is just an incredible park. I'm gutted I had to cut Spider-Man, Ripsaw Falls and Dragon Challenge from that list!

Was Ripsaw falls operational? I thought it burnt down in a fire in April. I could have my months off though.

• Paid Members

Manta (SeaWorld)

Was Ripsaw falls operational? I thought it burnt down in a fire in April. I could have my months off though.

The Hulk ride, thats the one that turns you upside down on the way up isnt it? That was brilliant so was Jurassic Park. Space Mountain was a bit aged when I went on it. The other rides that stick out for me were the Duelling Dragons which actually made me feel sick & was it the Rocky and Bullwinkle at Universal? It was some cartoon of that ilk, made to look like you were going over Wood piles and you raced another car. centre part of the park, near the Hulk as I remember?

• Paid Members

Nope, fully operational when I was there. Haven't heard anything about it burning down on the internet either..?

The Hulk ride, thats the one that turns you upside down on the way up isnt it? That was brilliant so was Jurassic Park. Space Mountain was a bit aged when I went on it. The other rides that stick out for me were the Duelling Dragons which actually made me feel sick & was it the Rocky and Bullwinkle at Universal? It was some cartoon of that ilk, made to look like you were going over Wood piles and you raced another car. centre part of the park, near the Hulk as I remember?

Yep the Hulk ride shoots you out of a cannon and does an entire revolution whilst doing so, insane ride. Space Mountain had had an update in the past two years and I was pleasantly surprised when I went on it this year, which is why it made itself on to the list (along with it being such an iconic ride anyway!). Not too sure which ride you're referring to there unless it's Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls? Same kind of cartoonery except it's a water ride, you don't race anybody.

Manta (SeaWorld)

A small fire at the top of the building happened in early 2011

The ride was due to be cloesed about a month later for refurb, so they just brought it foward a little, it reopened for April, I think.

The Hulk ride is the one ride I need to do. The only kind of roller coasters I don't like are the leg dangle ones, so I've always swerved it in the past, but the last time I was there, it had changed, but the queue was 75 minutes so I had to swerve it out of necessity and ended up going on The Mummy ride twice instead.

I've not been since 2003 so there will be a few new rollercoasters for me to experience like The Mummy, that new music one in Universal (I forget the name) and Expedition Everest.

Anyone been to IOA since Harry Potter land opened? What's it like?

By going at this time of year, I'm looking forward to all the Christmas stuff being in full swing. Should be awesome.

Sod going in the height of summer though. Too hot/too crowded.

75 minute lines for rides? Christ.

• Paid Members
I've not been since 2003 so there will be a few new rollercoasters for me to experience like The Mummy, that new music one in Universal (I forget the name) and Expedition Everest.

Anyone been to IOA since Harry Potter land opened? What's it like?

By going at this time of year, I'm looking forward to all the Christmas stuff being in full swing. Should be awesome.

Sod going in the height of summer though. Too hot/too crowded.

75 minute lines for rides? Christ.

Without exaggerating, the Harry Potter land is breathtaking. It actually feels like you've been dropped into one of the films, and I recommend getting there as early as possible so you can take it all in before it gets completely rammed. Then, once more people show up they'll all go to Harry Potter land so at that time it's best to do everything else whilst the rest of the park is still relatively quiet.

I went for New Year back in 2002/2003 and had a great time, although it does get surprisingly chilly and the days are obviously shorter. I think the overall best time to go is early May, the weather's gorgeous without it being humid and the kids are all still at school.

Nice to see other people are repeat offenders for Orlando holidays. Me and the wife went for the first time for our honeymoon last year (landed a year ago today, funnily enough), and had the greatest two weeks ever. Have pretty much just wanted to be back there ever since, even though it's not cheap and there's loads of other places to go in the world. We went all out ticket/attraction-wise as it was a special occasion like, two week passes/hoppers for the lot, and plenty of spends. We'd have to do it a bit on the cheaper next time, but I reckon two weeks split between Disney and Universal whilst staying on International Drive again would be a decent way to go. We narrowly missed out on three separate robber attacks at the Walgreens near our hotel too, that was just over a two week spell.

Loved Busch Gardens as it was empty but probably wouldn't go again as it was a fair trek to get there and once was enough. The Hulk is probably my favourite ride in the world, but Jurassic Park and the absolutely epic Dudley Do-Right water ride are up there. Disney didn't have half the ride brilliance, but all the parks (apart from Animal Kingdom, animals can fuck off - though the Everest ride was worth a half-day trip there) were immaculate and totally fantastic. And I don't even like Disney.

I should also add that everywhere was completely dead. 10 minutes was probably the most we queued for anything anywhere. Thanksgiving Day seemed to have more people out and about, but that was it. Also - if you want to pick up a load of stupidly cheap shit, this is the time to go. We went to the post-Black Friday Weekend Sales at a nearby outlet mall and completely cleaned up. If we did go again, I'm pretty certain it would be this time of year again.

Fuck, I loved it there, wish we could go back. Especially before I get her knocked up, sticking a few kids on that holiday will have the bill going through the roof.

Archived