Your Obscure Comedy Gold

gmoney

• Paid Members

This is a clip for Baddiel and Skinner's World Cup podcasts 2006. It involves the two discussing Ron Atkinson's earnest attempt to stay relevant after being sacked by ITV by doing his own internet television show and it descends from there.

Baddiel and Skinner talk Big Ron

I fucking love this clip, and I've never met another person who's heard it. What thing do you adore, from say a DVD commentary or interview, that is brilliant and no one knows it.

• Paid Members

What a bizarre/genius idea for a thread.

I had a soft spot for little known BBC2 sitcom "The High Life" which featured pre-Xmen 2 fame Alan Cumming, but is actually only worth watching for the mad antics of their pilot, Captain Duff. Who spent the first episode convinced he was on the Enterprise, and made frequent references to "warming up Jeremy joystick."

I think you had to be there.

• Paid Members

I quite liked The High Life. Admittedly I can't remember much of it now other than the theme tune and an argument with the aggressive Scottish lady where alan pointed out she'd used some impressive alliteration.

I remember the High Life. Think there might have been a funny-ish Eurovision episode in there somewhere. Great theme too.

For me, it would have to be Human Remains, the Rob Brydon/Julia Davis project from BBC2 in the early 00s that seems to have flown under the radar of everybody I ever meet. There's doubtless going to be plenty of people on here who remember it because there's some wise heads around, but anybody I speak to about it give me blank faces. Only 6 epsiodes, but they're all enormous hits. Dark, but utterly brilliant. One of my favourite comedies ever, and despite having sold just about all of my 300 DVDs lately, this was one I kept and will treasure.

Darkplace gets a lot of praise and rightfully so.

Has anyone ever seen Operation Good Guys? It's basically a fly-on-the-wall spoof about the police force made a few years before The Office. I never caught it when it was on TV but think the first series was on the BBC around 1998 and stars most of the cast of Love, Honor and Obey. (Which I've never seen).

is episode 1 if you want to kill half an hour on a Sunday morning

I loved Garth Merenghi...also if you have not seen it, check out

Man to Man with Dean Lerner - kind of a spin off from the above, in a chat show format. With Matt Holness playing the characters. Genius.

Also

The Weekenders - a pilot Vic and Bob did on Channel 4. Never picked up, but by god its hilariously weird. Lots of before they were famous cameos. Probably on Youtube somewhere...

Monkey Dust - probably a bit too famous for this thread. Excellent dark cartoon skits. Awfully dark.

Snuff Box - Rich Fulcher and Matt from Mighty Booch - playing Hangmen and weird friends. Good dark stuff too.

I sense a theme...

This is a clip for Baddiel and Skinner's World Cup podcasts 2006. It involves the two discussing Ron Atkinson's earnest attempt to stay relevant after being sacked by ITV by doing his own internet television show and it descends from there.

I fucking love this clip, and I've never met another person who's heard it. What thing do you adore, from say a DVD commentary or interview, that is brilliant and no one knows it.

Thank you. I was crying with laughter. Superb.

Has anyone ever seen Operation Good Guys? It's basically a fly-on-the-wall spoof about the police force made a few years before The Office. I never caught it when it was on TV but think the first series was on the BBC around 1998 and stars most of the cast of Love, Honor and Obey. (Which I've never seen).

This was really, really good. I think they brought the Full DVD set out a while ago too. There's a brilliant episode set on a desert Island where they bump into a hot Donna Air, and the Cheif gets covered in leeches. Great stuff.

Any chance you could point me in the direction of some more of those?

This was really, really good. I think they brought the Full DVD set out a while ago too. There's a brilliant episode set on a desert Island where they bump into a hot Donna Air, and the Cheif gets covered in leeches. Great stuff.

ha! Yeah that was quality. That was when they moved away from the fly on the wall aspect and it just got absurd (midgets, cocaine christmas snow etc). My boss recommended it to me so I got it on DVD about 5 years ago.

ha! Yeah that was quality. That was when they moved away from the fly on the wall aspect and it just got absurd (midgets, cocaine christmas snow etc). My boss recommended it to me so I got it on DVD about 5 years ago.

Archived