Work related help

martinQblank

I have recently received a promotion at a call centre where I work moving to another area of the department where I have had great success previously. In only my second week I have been enagaing with my team, getting to known them etc. Today as part of my role i was celebrating sales success in an area that has been ignored but made imperative that needs to improve so ran three team coaching sessions and really bigged upnthose test contributed by getting their sales on the board and cheering/getting the whole team to applaud when selling said product. Had a great day with it and generated a lot of fun on the team when an agent who I don't know from another team shouted "you are taking the piss" at me across the centre several times. I went over and he stood nose to nose within me and asked "why are acting like a fucking twat" i replied that I was energisng my team and continued with a stream of similar abuse.

I said nothing and walked Away as one of my staff needed help with an account.

Normally I would have bollocked him for speaking to anyone let alone a manager in front of the whole call centre and shouting swear words whilst people were on the phone but as i only just started and at the weekemd there is no hr or boss to consult. It has really left me fuming.

I'm now not back in work until later thisnweek and not sure how best to approach this so advice would be welcome, plus what would you guys have done in the same situation.

• Paid Members
Fair enough, but in my second week?!?

Could look at it as not wanting to seem like a cunt in your second week or letting people think your a soft touch because you take no action. Being aggressive and squaring up to someone in a place of work is obviously not on. I'd report him to your superior and let them deal with it if your worried about how it'll make you look. The person in question is obviously an arsehole, did any of your staff mention the incident or what they thought of him? You could be doing everyone a favour in getting action taken against him.

• Paid Members

You've got witnesses if it became a talking point in the pub after the incident. Take it up with a higher-up if the guy's a subordinate colleague. Even if you are doing the hippy, "Give yourselves a high five, team!" spiel, he was still unprofessional in his conduct.

He shouldn't have went f2f with you, but cheering and clapping when others are on the phone is unprofessional when others are trying to talk to customers. I used to hate background noise when on calls,

• Awards Moderator

I wouldn't go all guns blazing. He may have acted a cock, but don't do something that may cost him his job. He'll have bills to pay just like you. Saying that, I wouldn't let it go without taking him to task. If you're in a more senior position - whether his direct line manager or not - just request to speak to him in private. So that those who witnessed the incident know you aren't a soft touch, ask him to come and see you after his next call when he's at his desk. Take him in to a meeting room and explain that you weren't happy, that it won't be tolerated again but you are prepared to let it go if he acknowledges he was in the wrong. This way, you've pulled him on it, people who saw the incident know you've dealt with him but it hasn't been taken too far so that you cost the lad his job or are seen as a cock when you've just started. If it happens again, take it further as he'll have had a warning shot which he'll have ignored.

• Paid Members
I wouldn't go all guns blazing. He may have acted a cock, but don't do something that may cost him his job. He'll have bills to pay just like you. Saying that, I wouldn't let it go without taking him to task. If you're in a more senior position - whether his direct line manager or not - just request to speak to him in private. So that those who witnessed the incident know you aren't a soft touch, ask him to come and see you after his next call when he's at his desk. Take him in to a meeting room and explain that you weren't happy, that it won't be tolerated again but you are prepared to let it go if he acknowledges he was in the wrong. This way, you've pulled him on it, people who saw the incident know you've dealt with him but it hasn't been taken too far so that you cost the lad his job or are seen as a cock when you've just started. If it happens again, take it further as he'll have had a warning shot which he'll have ignored.

Surely he should have thought of that before he acted like such a dick to his superior by squaring up to him? Definitely a sackable offence for me, especially as it was seemingly unprovoked.

• Awards Moderator

No, he did act like a cock but it's just part of my nature to try to not cost someone their job. With all due respect to the OP, we don't know how close to this lad the noise was, how much it affected his call and how unprofessional it may have come across to the customer. I'm not excusing his reaction, but by taking him to one side and dealing with it in a professional manner, it gives the OP some credibility, lets the lad at fault know it can't happen again and nobody ends up unable to pay their bills.

• Paid Members
No, he did act like a cock but it's just part of my nature to try to not cost someone their job. With all due respect to the OP, we don't know how close to this lad the noise was, how much it affected his call and how unprofessional it may have come across to the customer. I'm not excusing his reaction, but by taking him to one side and dealing with it in a professional manner, it gives the OP some credibility, lets the lad at fault know it can't happen again and nobody ends up unable to pay their bills.

A last warning type of situation could work definitely, but the fact that all his team down the pub pretty much said the guys a cunt would make me think he has previous.

• Awards Moderator

A last warning type of situation could work definitely, but the fact that all his team down the pub pretty much said the guys a cunt would make me think he has previous.

Aye, but the OP needs to act based upon his own experience rather than hearsay or previous stories to which he wasn't witness. I'm such a soft shite :/

Archived