Living the gimmick, daddy ...

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Simple answer really, hypothetically no hot water, Steiner talks to himself... goes apeshit... no more shower... ploughs Midajah

I think that would be any bloke and not just Steiner given the opportunity.

No your thinking of Tylene Buck and her cat baths. Midajah was a classy bimbo at least. You might get anal if you put a shift in.

Been watching Jimmy Hart's shoot interview, and something caught my attention. Jimmy Hart's sitting there in a suit jacket, with shades on, Ned Flanders tashe and the fast talking southern accent with the cackling laugh. There seems to be no difference in Jimmy Hart on the telly and Jimmy Hart in real life. Everyone on the Memphis Heat documentary is the same as well. Jimmy Valiant looks, talks and acts the same as he does onscreen (apart from the dancing of course). Jerry Lawler is more or less same bloke. Hulk Hogan obviously doesn't live in the real world, and if he walks into a room that tashe and bandana is still on his head. For me, I've always loved people in wrestling who talk shite, live their gimmick, walk around with a knowing lack of credibility etc. For me its what wrestlings about, due to his worked nature and its need to sell the audience something you dont see in real life. Anyone who has seen that wanktastic Memphis Heat documentary will get nostalgic and teary eyed over these larger than life characters.

Who else do you think is just completely off it and is always on?

Any idea where I can get hold of Memphis Heat Ian lad? Love some Memphis.

I can only suggest that you make this motion every day and then maybe you'll see it.

Wasn't it Dusty Roads who used the thread title to describe DDP to Foley in Have A Nice Day? It was either him or someone else but it was definately about DDP.

I can't believe we've gone three pages without a mention of Vince McMahon himself. Bischoff qualifies too, even.

• Paid Members

I remember when Stone Cold Steve Austin was "punked" and he acted pretty much exactly the same as his onscreen persona. He was yelling at this guy "What do you see when you look in the mirror, because right now I'm looking at a stupid son of a bitch". It was awesome!

Also, in an online interview when someone asked Scott Steiner about his hurricanrana and he immediatly stopped him and said "It's not the hurricanrana, it's my move, it's called the Frankensteiner. Don't ever call it anything else." and he came across as the scariest motherfucker of all time. The interviewer looked like he was going to shit himself.

Wasn't it Dusty Roads who used the thread title to describe DDP to Foley in Have A Nice Day? It was either him or someone else but it was definately about DDP.

It was Abby. He told Cactus that DDP was going to make it and Cactus replied "Page? Really? Why?" Abby replied "he lives his gimmick, baby."

• Paid Members

I would very much hope that Sin Cara botches menial every day tasks. He's that guy in A&E that's on first name terms with everyone on account of being there so often"Was it the hoovering again, Mr Cara?"

• Paid Members
I'm pretty sure that the Dean Malenko character was pretty similar to his personality off-screen!

Everyone has said the opposite. Apparently Malenko is funny as fuck offscreen and was just never able to translate it to his character.

Yeah, I heard that about old Deano Machino as well. One of them, may have been Molly Holly, said the character that was the least like their onscreen gimmick was Malenko. I've heard the same about Kane, George Steele, Bruiser Brody, Abdullah the Butcher and a few others as well, that there was the opposite of how they are in life. So whilst I can see that for the most part wrestlers aren't good enough actors to play someone totally removed from themselves I do think there are some who have made a career out of that. Bobby Eaton was a tremendous heel but there aren't too many who have anything bad to say about the guy.

In terms of living the gimmick (trying not to repeat too many already mentioned) there is loads from the 70s-90s era who were exaggerated versions of themselves: Rick Steiner, Bruno Sammartino, Billy Graham, Terry Gordy, Michael Hayes, Jimmy Garvin, Steve Williams, Kevin Sullivan, every member of the Guerrero family, Harley Race, Steve Williams, Shane Douglas, Ole Anderson, Jimmy DelRay, Bad News Allen/Brown, Terry Taylor, Mike Rotunda/IRS, Roddy Piper, Paul Orndorff, Paul Roma and Stan Lane to name a few.

In terms of people who were on mainstream TV more recently I'd go for Finlay, Melina, John Cena, Carlito, Big Show, Booker T., CM Punk and Maryse as being close to their actual personalities.

I'm pretty sure that the Dean Malenko character was pretty similar to his personality off-screen!

Everyone has said the opposite. Apparently Malenko is funny as fuck offscreen and was just never able to translate it to his character.

I would never have imagined it but thank you for correcting me, I'm genuinely pleased to have learned something new today! :thumbsup:

Archived