Living the gimmick, daddy ...

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Been watching Jimmy Hart's shoot interview, and something caught my attention. Jimmy Hart's sitting there in a suit jacket, with shades on, Ned Flanders tashe and the fast talking southern accent with the cackling laugh. There seems to be no difference in Jimmy Hart on the telly and Jimmy Hart in real life. Everyone on the Memphis Heat documentary is the same as well. Jimmy Valiant looks, talks and acts the same as he does onscreen (apart from the dancing of course). Jerry Lawler is more or less same bloke. Hulk Hogan obviously doesn't live in the real world, and if he walks into a room that tashe and bandana is still on his head. For me, I've always loved people in wrestling who talk shite, live their gimmick, walk around with a knowing lack of credibility etc. For me its what wrestlings about, due to his worked nature and its need to sell the audience something you dont see in real life. Anyone who has seen that wanktastic Memphis Heat documentary will get nostalgic and teary eyed over these larger than life characters.

Who else do you think is just completely off it and is always on?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Rock is another great example. I've seen clips of him on movie sets and he's walking around like it's 1999, flexing his muscles and ripping the piss out of everybody. He's a nice bloke and that, but he clearly loves living the gimmick.

John Cena as well, to an extent. On TV he plays the loveable babyface that never does anything wrong and in real life he seems like a great example to kids and even those in his profession.

• Paid Members
Scott Steiner. I can imagine him completely in character doing anything. In the shower, buying stamps, going for petrol; the lot. If I ever saw proof to contradict this, I'd probably lose all faith in humanity.

If I win Euromillions, I'm paying Steiner to get followed around by a camera crew 24/7 and it's getting streamed on this website. I reckon after day two he'll have the camera man's eyeball.

• Paid Members
The Rock is another great example. I've seen clips of him on movie sets and he's walking around like it's 1999, flexing his muscles and ripping the piss out of everybody. He's a nice bloke and that, but he clearly loves living the gimmick.

Personally when Rock made his return start of the year it felt to me like I was watching Johnson play at being the rock, I just could get behind it because it all felt so unnatural and forced to me some how.

• Paid Members

Personally when Rock made his return start of the year it felt to me like I was watching Johnson play at being the rock, I just could get behind it because it all felt so unnatural and forced to me some how.

Yeah, it's weird. I've watched a couple of 'Making Of' things about his films and he's there acting like the bloke we all grew to love. I think his material has a lot to do with it though, it's no secret that Brian Gerwetz (sp?) writes ALL his wrestling stuff and most of his live promos are all one massive exercise in getting a catchphrase over to put on a t-shirt (Team Bring It/Boots To Asses etc). His taped promos have been far better (again, written by Gerwitz before anybody has a go from that angle), because he spends them trash talking his opponents and pushing along feuds, rather than transparent shilling.

Archived