Bands Disliking Past Work

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

this is subject that has always bugged me, i understand it's a big part of musical promotion and whatever, but it really grips my shit when a band release a record and claim it's the 'best thing they've ever done', only for a couple of years later to come out with a new record and state 'i wasn't happy with the last album' or things of that nature.

I know obviously that a band can't come out and say 'this shit aint very good' but for them to claim one thing then go back and come out and basically admit they lied really pisses me off and makes me feel cheated as a fan.

I bring it up because i read last week's Kerrang! where Korn frontman Jonathon Davis was promoting the band's forthcoming album, and there's a couple of parts of the interview that got me, one was where he said 'he didn't have much fun on the last album' and that the lyrics 'felt forced', and another was that they were producing the new album (which apparently is a massive switch in direction) because it's boring to keep making the same record over and over, which i took as a little dig at the last album as well. Then there was the 'some Korn fans are stuck in '94'.

Which takes me back to Korn's last album III, i remember at the time the massive push that the band were going back to their roots and were basically going back to what Korn was meant to be, Davis also personally claimed that Ross Robinson was pulling some dark shit out him for the lyrics for the album...only for Davis to now come out and pretty much say that he was faking it. Some took it as a desperate attempt to re-connect with fans, a pure marketing ploy. Others said it was their best work in years, i tend to fall somewhere in the middle... but still to hear him come out now and say that kind of pisses on the record for me, i don't like that shit and it annoys me as a fan.

220px-KornIIIspecial.jpg

Another thing that annoyed me about the whole thing was Davis then said 'i just don't see why people can't have fun, all i hear about is Recession and a lack of job', errrr easy to say when you're a multi-millionaire playing in a rock band, cunt. The whole article genuinely pissed me off.

A couple of other examples i have off the cuff are Dave Grohl going back and saying that 'One by One' was a mistake for The Foo Fighters. That whole album came at a time when he was doing shit with Queens of The Stone Age and went in and re-wrote the whole Foo's album off the back of the experience with QOTSA....i'm actually of the impression that it's one of the bands best albums.

220px-Foo_Fighters_-_One_by_One.jpg

Another band that look down on their older stuff is Trivium. After Ascendency they were kind of riding this insane wave of popularity and put out some kind self-indulgent Metallica tribute with The Crusade, i remember quotes of 'taking it to the next level' and 'being the biggest metal band in the world' when all they did was take away some of the stuff people loved about the band in the first place and replaced them with a unhealthy dollop of cheese. Now the band are back with their tale between their legs putting out an album thats 'the natural successor to Ascendency' fuck off.

Now, i don't have as much a problem with bands kind of dismissing work they did say 15 years previously, it's understandable as people's tastes/interests will change over time, it's when things that ties in with promotion that pisses me off, people promising one thing then in future to simply give a different opinion, it drives me fucking mental!

any other examples fine people?

Completely agree with the Korn stuff and Jonathon is right, some us Korn fans still are stuck in 94... because that is when the bands music meant the most to many. IMHO their last good complete album was Follow The Leader although there have been some cracking individual tunes since.

With regards to the Foos, that statement of Daves is kinda explained in the 'Back & Forth' documentary and in context, it kinda makes sense.

The biggest musical slap in the face for me was Rivers saying that 'Pinkerton' was a mistake for Weezer. That one album, to me, is a piece of absoloute genius that I can associate to on far too many levels.

I remember all the build and hype to Untouchables and when it got a bad reception upon it's release the band kind of dismissed themselves from it, I howver love it, it's very dark. They don't tend to play much off that album live though which is quite telling.

The most ofbvious one here is St Anger. The fact that Metallica actually put solos in the songs when they play them live speaks volumes about how they feel about it and how they know their fans feels about it. I've seen Metallica 4 times since they released that drizzling turd and I've only ever seen them play a song off of it once.

The biggest musical slap in the face for me was Rivers saying that 'Pinkerton' was a mistake for Weezer.

He can't hate it that much, they're releasing a special edition of it with a two hundred page diary and loads of discs of demos etc, unless that's simply to rape the fanboys of even more money.

I was under the impression that all Korn music was terrible, whenever it was recorded. And I'm pretty sure their commitment to a 'dubstep' record will extend only to some 'brostep' heavy, wobbly bass lines, rather than the dissonant breakbeat rhythms and cool samples that originally made the genre interesting.

• Paid Members
Completely agree with the Korn stuff and Jonathon is right, some us Korn fans still are stuck in 94... because that is when the bands music meant the most to many. IMHO their last good complete album was Follow The Leader although there have been some cracking individual tunes since.

With regards to the Foos, that statement of Daves is kinda explained in the 'Back & Forth' documentary and in context, it kinda makes sense.

The biggest musical slap in the face for me was Rivers saying that 'Pinkerton' was a mistake for Weezer. That one album, to me, is a piece of absoloute genius that I can associate to on far too many levels.

my problem with the Korn thing isn't that he mentioned that fans are stuck in '94, cause in a lot of cases they are. My problem with it was that they made that last album claming 'Remember What You Are', and said that the band had gotten away from what made them great in the first place, now just 2 years later they are coming across like it was a mistake or a wrong move...when that album is what made a lot of fans sit up and take notice again, it feels like a slap in the face to the fans.

Another band who suffer from the 'stuck in...' thing is Incubus, maybe it's because i read the heavier end of the rock press but every review the band has ever had (since Make Yourself) moans that 'it aint like the old stuff', i love the fact that Incubus make no excuses and do exactly what they want, they've never just puked out some old school sounding album for the fans that dismissed their later work, they've stuck to their guns and i respect them for that.

I think some bands feel that wane in popularity or notice the displeasure with fans and just release a safe traditional sounding record to keep people happy (Metallica i'm looking at you).

Slightly different, but Cedric and other bloke of The Mars Volta reckon At The Drive-In was their weird experimental period which got them to where they are now. Fucking bullshit like, At The Drive-In were amazing, and nothing any of the band have done outside of it has been half as good.

The biggest musical slap in the face for me was Rivers saying that 'Pinkerton' was a mistake for Weezer.

He can't hate it that much, they're releasing a special edition of it with a two hundred page diary and loads of discs of demos etc, unless that's simply to rape the fanboys of even more money.

Musically, I think they're fine with it - Rivers' problem is probably more with just how honest the lyrics were in terms of his fetish for Japanese girls, the perverted stuff he got up to and having that out there in public.

Also they're probably sick of people telling them to make another album that sounds like Pinkerton, and forgetting that why it sounded like that was that they were all having breakdowns of some form - Rivers' obviously values his sanity more than critical success these days and is probably happy churning out pretty good pop-punk than going back to the headspace of Pinkerton era.

Listen to a lot of Kerrang, do you Ebb?

St. Anger is one of the most hilarious albums of all time from a lyrical point of view, but fuck me is it overhated. At least they tried something different. The drums sound fucking awesome (regardless of the tired 'His snare sounds like a trash can!' argument), there's some great energy and 'The Unnamed Feeling' is one of the better Metallica songs around. It's pretty shit that they had to appease their fanbase with the godawful Death Magnetic.

• Moderators
Which takes me back to Korn's last album III, i remember at the time the massive push that the band were going back to their roots and were basically going back to what Korn was meant to be, Davis also personally claimed that Ross Robinson was pulling some dark shit out him for the lyrics for the album...only for Davis to now come out and pretty much say that he was faking it. Some took it as a desperate attempt to re-connect with fans, a pure marketing ploy. Others said it was their best work in years, i tend to fall somewhere in the middle... but still to hear him come out now and say that kind of pisses on the record for me, i don't like that shit and it annoys me as a fan.

Welcome to the music industry. The majority of bands are full of shit who are happy to go along with something as long as it makes them money. It's a business. Don't be a fan of bands, be a fan of whatever music they put out and leave it at that.

Thou shalt not put musicians and recording artists on ridiculous pedestals no matter how great they are or were.

Archived