Sauna vs Steam Room

WU LYF 4 LYF

Sauna or Steam Room?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tiled_Steam_Room_t400.JPG

I spent today chilling at the local gymnasium/health facility but I shunned hitting the weights in favour of some top draw exfoliation. And I can't think of a more relaxing way to spent a morning/afternoon, it's seriously chill. Plus, going out of the sauna after fifteen minutes sweating like a cunt and then jumping into the icy plunge pool is a real buzz, it's up there with Taylor's of Harrogate Latin coffee in terms of legal ways to feel high.

I personally use both, but I think the sauna has the edge due to its oak panneling, it feels more primal compared to the marble of the steam room. Plus I think I marginally prefer dry heat to wet heat.

What else always strikes me is how cleansed you feel after a session, of mind as well as body, you literally feel like a new man. It's like a non-religious persons idea of 'Confession' - as long as you feel genuine remorse, you are free to start again with a free slate.

Any other UKFF guys or girls partake in this method of relaxation?

• Paid Members

I do the sauna first to sweat all the crap out (having several showers or plunges, depending on where I am), and then steam room to clean the pores out. I can only do about ten minutes max in a steam room before my eyes are buggered, so while I prefer the sensation of the steam room, I can only use it as a "finishing off" thing.

Theres both at the metrodome, but since I cant breathe in the Steam room, its the sauna for me but when youve been in from 15 minutes onward then you sand up feel like your body is on fire.

But sauna for me, shame would really look a TV outside the sauna to watch.

• Paid Members
It's like stepping into a giant jar of Vicks. Even down to the smell. It's the best.

^ This is probably the best way of describing it. If you're in a really hot one, you can almost feel the crap melting off the inside of your lungs. It's that strange combination of slightly uncomfortable, but incredibly satisfying.

Was in Barcelona two weekends ago at a 5 star hotel that had Spa facilities. Me and the girl I was with were in that Spa every night. Absolutely amazing going from the Steam Room or Sauna to pulling the bucket of ice water over you!

The steam room at my gym is always broken, dickheads keep putting frozen bottles of water over the thermostat thing, and as a result it gets ridiculously hot, to the point where you can feel the hairs in your nose burning, and it's painful to leave due to all the hot air collecting by the door. Then it breaks and it takes weeks for them to fix it.

The steam room at my gym is always broken, dickheads keep putting frozen bottles of water over the thermostat thing, and as a result it gets ridiculously hot,

In saunas it gets like this when people pour water on the hot stones, so in the one I go to they changed it a while back so the heat source is behind the wood panels now instead of at hand.

I king of miss it though, I used to love that sizzle and hiss that would happen when you put water on the searing heat.

• Moderators

My gym has neither.. It's basically like a prison yard*; it's massive open space with loads of weights and really ripped twats with bad tattoos.

It's cheap as fuck though and I don't get that stop-start annoyance of having to wait for equipment to become available.

* Like one off a tame TV show though. More Prison Break than Oz.

Archived