The guitarist thread

cobra_gordo

I'm guessing at least a few people on here must be guitar players so I figured there may aswell be a thread for all us fret wankers. Whether you want to post links to guitarists that you think deserve folks attention (metal,blues,country,whatever), post videos of yourselves playing (guitar that is, not on the swings) or pictures of new released instruments and shit you want to buy.

To get things started here's a few of my current obsessions

This is fucking fun to play, still can't get my sweeps to sound like his though.

This is just pure genius. I still don't understand how he gets a strat to make those noises

Lastly this one has been doing the rounds on Youtube for years. He's an unknown kid but he plays clean as fuck, has a nice sound that melts Petrucci, Jason Becker and Paul Gilbert. Plus that Ibanez is badass.

Go!

Mostly i'm a bass player, but if i'm honest until recently I hadn't picked up a six or a four string in about four years until about a month ago. It's a lot harder to get back into than I thought, because my mind is about four steps ahead of my fingers; I can picture what I went to do, achieve and create but my fingers aren't nearly alive enough yet.

The high action on acoustic guitars is fucking horrible when getting back into it, my fingers are an absolute state.

Going to invest in an Epiphone Les Paul for Christmas, for a budget guitar they have a clean sound and lovely action.

*EDIT* I should probably add that fretwankery or shredding or slaying or whatever-you-want-to-call-it elicits no emotion from me whatsoever. It's crap. Johnny Cash, for me, used his guitar in far more emotional, creative and pleasing ways than any (insert generic thrash metal guitarist here).

• Paid Members
It's a lot harder to get back into than I thought, because my mind is about four steps ahead of my fingers; I can picture what I went to do, achieve and create but my fingers aren't nearly alive enough yet.

Currently suffering much the same problem. I can't even deal with simple riffs that I made up! There's no substitute for practise, I tell ya.

Going to invest in an Epiphone Les Paul for Christmas, for a budget guitar they have a clean sound and lovely action.

Can't go wrong with Epi Les Pauls. Any Epiphone for that matter. I've got an E[pi Flying V at the moment thats just the business.

I should probably add that fretwankery or shredding or slaying or whatever-you-want-to-call-it elicits no emotion from me whatsoever. It's crap. Johnny Cash, for me, used his guitar in far more emotional, creative and pleasing ways than any (insert generic thrash metal guitarist here).

Nowt wrong with Jonny Cash, he has a place here too. Tbh when I'm playing and recording I'm doing 260bpm shred solos, it's what guitar playing always was to me as a kid and I love it, howver, when I want to entertain myself I'll lay on the sofa with my spanish acoustic and play some Cash or some plinky, miserable country stuff or a bit of bottleneck blues.

• Paid Members
*EDIT* I should probably add that fretwankery or shredding or slaying or whatever-you-want-to-call-it elicits no emotion from me whatsoever. It's crap. Johnny Cash, for me, used his guitar in far more emotional, creative and pleasing ways than any (insert generic thrash metal guitarist here).

Ditto. A few mates are amazing 'technical guitarists' with all the stuff that comes with metal, but I always find it never resonates on any level apart from "oh, that was quick".

I currently play a lovely blue Squier Telecaster, 'cause Bruce Springsteen plays with a Squier Telecaster.

I'm not going to lie, Yngwie Malmsteen was my biggest influence when I got in to playing lead guitar but a solo to me has to have context, a song needs to build and build and then explode when the solo happens. I went to see Malmsteen live once and as much as I loved watching the bloke play I was a bit bored after 20 minutes.

Check out a bloke called Doyle Dykes, he's an acoustic player who plays a guitar but like a banjo. It's awesome.

I currently play a lovely blue Squier Telecaster, 'cause Bruce Springsteen plays with a Squier Telecaster.

I've been looking for a white Tele with black bindingfor years but to no avail :(

• Paid Members

Malmsteen is great for 3 or 4 songs, but he's not exactly known for his versatility. Once you've gotten through Rising Force, Far Beyond The Sun and Fire & Ice, there's nowhere else to really go.

Satriani - especially no hair Satriani - I consider a different league to Malmsteen, Batio, Li, etc.. Once he brought in a live drummer and cut down on the technique for techniques sake his work took a leap, which is probably why he's still got a decent career. That said, dropping the drummer and moving away from a rock sound for Engines of Creation paid off.

There's still a bit of flash in there, but I don't think anyone at the moment matches Satriani for keeping melodic content within legato passages.

I also have a soft spot for John Norum, and think Dweezil Zappa is massively underated.

• Paid Members

Pretty sure the Boss doesn't play a cheap Korean copy (no diss on Squiers btw).

You just can't let me pretend can you?! When I'm rocking with my stone wash jeans and head band on, it's a Bruce guitar (actually, I typed Squier Telecaster twice and didn't double check to edit, as I got a semi thinking of my lovely guitar).

I play a Fender Jazzmaster for my electric, always been in punk/ska bands. I love the jazz master pickups and it's relatively versatile. If I was buying something new now it'd be a tele or a Reverend Buckshot, which is a tele-style guitar also but with more grunt when needed. As it is, however, I play almost exclusively acoustic and am using an absolute lemon of a guitar. It's a Montana dreadnought, cheap as shit and bought second hand, but sounds surprisingly good. Currently playing lots of picky stuff like the slower Avett Brothers stuff and it serves me well. Next guitar, when I come to buy it will be one of the newer budget-range Martins.

I play a Fender Jazzmaster for my electric, always been in punk/ska bands. I love the jazz master pickups and it's relatively versatile. .

I always thought I prefered Jaguars to Jazzmasters until I actually tried one, Jazzmasters are way less complicated, can't be doing with all those selector switches.

Malmsteen is great for 3 or 4 songs, but he's not exactly known for his versatility. Once you've gotten through Rising Force, Far Beyond The Sun and Fire & Ice, there's nowhere else to really go.

Satriani - especially no hair Satriani - I consider a different league to Malmsteen, Batio, Li, etc.. Once he brought in a live drummer and cut down on the technique for techniques sake his work took a leap, which is probably why he's still got a decent career. That said, dropping the drummer and moving away from a rock sound for Engines of Creation paid off.

There's still a bit of flash in there, but I don't think anyone at the moment matches Satriani for keeping melodic content within legato passages.

I also have a soft spot for John Norum, and think Dweezil Zappa is massively underated.

I do sort of agree with the Malmsteen thing, once you've heard one sweep picked arpeggio solo you've kinda heard them all. I think "Concerto Suite" deserves a mention and I did like "Perpetual Flame", I think Tim Owens really brought something to that record and it wasn't all about the shred.

off that album is awesome, really epic.

I don't think Steve Vai should be tarred with the same brush as Malmsteen though, he's constantly evolving and coming up with weird shit but I enjoy him more as a live act than a recording artist.

is really tasteful, reminds me a bit of Stevie Ray Vaughn up to the point where it goes apeshit. Got to throw in
though because it's just crackers and it features the criminally underrated Tony Macalpine.

My main guitar is a 98 Gibson Joe Perry Les Paul, cost a bomb but it sounds amazing. The neck is kind of a cross between the fat 50's ones and the slimmer 60's, it's a dream to play. Sounds gorgeous for almost anything and it's got a nifty built in wah wah effect circuit used by lifting the tone pot. I also have an ESP ltd DV8-R SE, an alpine white Mexican Fender Tele, a Schecter C1 Blackjack and some old 12 string acoustic which I only ever play Wish You Were Here on. I have however just put a deposit down on this bad boy as an Xmas/promotion present to myself...

Gibson-Firebird-2010-Electric-Guitar-Vintage-Sunburst-1.jpg

Sexy. Amp wise I have a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier with the Mesa 2x12 cab. I bought it when I was in a metal band and I don't do that anymore, but it's pretty versatile for the rock sound I use these days. I also have an old Marshall AVT-150 combo and a little Orange amp I use for home.

So without getting into little knick knacks little peddles and shit, that's what I use. Sorry to just rack up a list of all the stuff I've pissed money on for the last 10 years but I love talking gear. I'm also looking to get a 6 string acoustic sometime soon, any recommendations for ones to try out? Say a limit of about

• Paid Members

I'm currently working on a solo project called The Sonic Saloon. Got sick of depending on wasters who would cancel sessions & slow down my progress, so as my backlog of ideas got bigger, I decided to do it all on my own.

All songs are currently at demo stage right now. I'm currently playing everything on there - drums, bass, and all guitars. But I'm looking for a drummer and/or bassist so I'll have 1 less thing to do and can focus more on the guitar parts - it's hard to fully focus on a drum track + bass track + guitar riffs + guitar solos + composition + recording! I need some objective input.... anyway, have tonnes of riffs & bits ready & still to record, so it's all a work in progress. It's just hard to find the time to get fully stuck in with a baby...

http://soundcloud.com/the-sonic-saloon/sets

(start with The Pursuit or Rock-A-Dodle-Doo) :)

Archived