The Eyesight Thread

Max Power

Another mind numbingly boring thread on a Monday afternoon. I'm 28. I've worn contact lenses for the past 8 or so years. I've just had my yearly check up at the opticians and the lovely chap recommended that I look at getting a pair of glasses in the near future. He says that as I've worn disposablt daily contact lenses for a while now, in the long run they could damage my eyes as they minimise the amount of oxygen that is able to reach the surface of my eye.

Now I hate the notion of wearing specs. Can't bear it. In summer I hate wearing sunglasses - the bit that joins each eye that goes over the bridge of my nose gets on my tits. I guess my question is has anyone on here had laser eye surgery? Did it hurt? How long ago did you have it? Any side effects? Was it worth it? None of my real-life friends have had it, they're all speccy wearers.

In other news, who is the member on here with the worst eyesight? I'm short sighted, my left eye being -2.25 and my right eye is -2.00. Who is our very own Mr Magoo?

Another mind numbingly boring thread on a Monday afternoon. I'm 28. I've worn contact lenses for the past 8 or so years. I've just had my yearly check up at the opticians and the lovely chap recommended that I look at getting a pair of glasses in the near future. He says that as I've worn disposablt daily contact lenses for a while now, in the long run they could damage my eyes as they minimise the amount of oxygen that is able to reach the surface of my eye.

Now I hate the notion of wearing specs. Can't bear it. In summer I hate wearing sunglasses - the bit that joins each eye that goes over the bridge of my nose gets on my tits. I guess my question is has anyone on here had laser eye surgery? Did it hurt? How long ago did you have it? Any side effects? Was it worth it? None of my real-life friends have had it, they're all speccy wearers.

In other news, who is the member on here with the worst eyesight? I'm short sighted, my left eye being -2.25 and my right eye is -2.00. Who is our very own Mr Magoo?

I'd have to look mine up but off the top of my head I think I'm about 2.5 in each eye, so yeah I'm pretty much blind without my lenses.

I have the exact same problem with my contacts and am being given the same glasses spiel. I already look enough like Alan Carr without getting the specs as well.

Been wearing glasses for years. I had contacts for a while, but they never settled well in my left eye. Always felt like something was scratching it.

The cost of laser eye surgery is putting me off, along with the length of time it lasts for. Isn't it something like 10 years?

As for comfort on the bridge of your nose, the silicone pads are very comfortable and they can adjust them if it doesn't feel right.

I had mine zapped 7 years ago. I couldn't tell you what my prescription was before that, but I was as blind as a bat, to the point where I'd walk straight past a group of friends I was supposed to be meeting in a pub (I'd had glasses since I was about 13, but was far too vain to wear them in public once I hit my late teens, and could never get used to contacts).

Long story short, it's a completely painless procedure (if you have LASIK, that is), and that's coming from somebody who's totally squeamish about eyes and struggles to watch that Clockwork Orange scene with the clamps. They give you a valium and a couple of anaesthetizing eyedrops, zap each eye (takes no more than a couple of minutes on each one), then send you home with some eye bandages and sleeping tablets. When you wake up the next morning, you should have more or less perfect vision. I can't speak highly enough of the experience, definitely the best

Not me. My eyesight is known as "better than perfect".

When told this, I asked if that meant I had "21-21 vision"... The answer is no.

I have "20-15 vision". That's better than "20-20 vision" apprantly.

• Paid Members

I'm 32 and finally took the plunge and got LASEK at the end of August this year. Best thing I ever did.

Had glasses since I was 10 - had contacts but was never arsed wearing them. I was -3.0 and -3.25, now I'm better than 20/20 in both.

I've got Keratoconus, which means the cornea of my eye has bulged out and can't be lasered. I have to wear contacts for decent eyesight, as I'm probably the worse person on here without contacts in, also the contact I have to wear are rigid gas permeable instead of the soft lenses. The RGP lenses are like a hard plastic and sometimes they hurt like hell if they accidently scratch your eye. I don't really know anyone else with the condition, its put me behind in learning to drive for years.

I've got -4.25 and -3.75 and am astigmatic in both eyes, have two pairs of specs, one of which is FCUK and took ages to make sure they were comfortable. Specsavers were patient with me, but I'm not sure if they were slapdash at the start.

Never had contacts, but I'm tempted by getting my eyes zapped. Is it fair to say that the more expensive the surgery, the better it is, or can you be fine with a mid-level procedure?

• Paid Members
I've got -4.25 and -3.75 and am astigmatic in both eyes, have two pairs of specs, one of which is FCUK and took ages to make sure they were comfortable. Specsavers were patient with me, but I'm not sure if they were slapdash at the start.

Never had contacts, but I'm tempted by getting my eyes zapped. Is it fair to say that the more expensive the surgery, the better it is, or can you be fine with a mid-level procedure?

Thats what all those Cheerleader Melissa matches does for you.

Thats what all those Cheerleader Melissa matches does for you.

Piss off.

Can anybody answer my query?

• Paid Members

I'm pretty much blind. I'm Long-sighted and +5.00 in both eyes so I can't make much out without my Contacts or Glasses.

I've worn monthly lenses for the last 10 years and only recently got myself a nice pair of designer frames on advice of my optician.

Glaucoma is rife throughout my family and I've suffered from Dyplopia (double vision) because of silliness with drugs in the past, so things are likely to get worse.

:nerd:

Archived