Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It wasn't enough to get him a prolonged push or anything though was it?

I admire what he did, and it certainly changed the way people perceived what they did on the Internet etc, but a lot of people have had far more success than him without having to resort to such things.

I don't really know where he fits in in 2020 that much. Beyond being friends with a few of the AEW guys, I don't feel a strong urge to be like YES YOU NEED HIM!

He was the prototype to Bryan's Mania 30 run. He got himself over to the point they had to make him feature on TV and completely jobbed him the fuck out. Because they didn't want him to get over. It's like they learned nothing from the Brawl for All Bart Gunn fiasco. Not that it's much better now, but you know what I mean

• Paid Members

the thing is, Zack Ryder's entire YouTube show premise painted him as a goof and a loser. So when that translated to TV he was booked as a goof and a loser, and people complained that he was being buried. 

He's about as generic a product of the WWE development system there's ever been, and I think if anything he massively over-delivered on his potential. He was never going to be a main event guy, but he got a featured run and a couple of title reigns out of it all. Someone I know once said, "he did really well, considering he's Zack Ryder" - that about sums up my thoughts on it all.

He's not someone I get the impression has more to give outside of a WWE context, or is it chomping at the bit to reinvent himself with a revolutionary new character, or anything like that. But he'll be able to do the Super-Show circuit hitting his catchphrase like a modern day Jim Duggan for the rest of his days.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

the thing is, Zack Ryder's entire YouTube show premise painted him as a goof and a loser. So when that translated to TV he was booked as a goof and a loser, and people complained that he was being buried. 

Kenny Omega is a goof outside the ring too. Being a goof doesn’t really matter in a fight, especially in a fake one 

3 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Point is Ryder got himself over as a goof and loveable loser before WWE presented him as such. Kenny got over from his matches, Zack definitely didn't.

Yeah, I’m aware they aren’t exactly the same. Just saying that you can be a goof and still be believable in the ring. Mick Foley was a loser and a goof as well (not from the start but certainly at points he was.) He still was totally believable in the ring though.  

I can’t say for certain that if Ryder had been booked strongly in the ring he would have caught on with the audience. It ain’t impossible though. 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Agree to disagree. Zack is the master of social media. People have been talking of Z being such a hit on You Tube it led wrestlers thinking outside the box, and look at what happened to Being the Elite! If now him and Hawkins had the WF podcast and Figure it Out. They kept themselves relative even without proper TV time

You think Zack Ryder has made WWE more money/ drawn more viewers/ made more of an impact, in the last twelve months than Goldberg has? Or in their respective careers? 

I don’t know why I’m asking you to clarify, either one is absolutely bonkers.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Respective careers absolutely not but the Long Island Iced Z, the Internet Title that ridiculous headband with his hair on were all big money sellers merch wise and probably put him in the top 5 of the company at that time. 

I'm not even sure who's point I'm arguing or supporting or why all I know is a lot more could have been done with Ryder before they had Kane wheel him off the stage and Eve kick him in the nuts. 

That was nine years ago. He was a fad for about six months, but he stayed on the books for nearly a decade after that. And he still won titles at WrestleMania in 2016 and 2019.

I’m yet to see any real defence of the claim that he’s had more impact on WWE than Goldberg has.

Jeff Jarrett is currently on Radio 5 Lives amazing 'Don't Tell Me The Score' show.

Only caught last twenty minutes but I found it very interesting.

Sure it will be on Catch Up or BBC Sounds or whatever they call it soon

Edited to say just been on Radio 5 Live

Edited by Hugh Thesz
See last sentence

The thing with Ryder is he got over with his own stuff as a goof and the crowd loved him. The moment WWE got their hands on it, it was shit. Edge and Christian did the Bill and Ted thing for a few years and it worked. No reason why Ryder if booked well couldn't have followed that path. Would have led to a helluva heel turn at least.

On 4/16/2020 at 1:36 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

He was the prototype to Bryan's Mania 30 run. He got himself over to the point they had to make him feature on TV and completely jobbed him the fuck out. Because they didn't want him to get over. It's like they learned nothing from the Brawl for All Bart Gunn fiasco. Not that it's much better now, but you know what I mean

Why wouldn't they want him to get over? I assume him being over would have meant more money for the company?

Just now, Factotum said:

I don't believe they didn't want him to get over, I just believe their creative for him was shit.

Yeah, that's what I reckon as well. It would be more a case of them simply not being able to do what was required creatively, rather than intentionally wanting him to fail.

Anyone who gets over makes the company money, so why they would want to deliberately scupper a potential money-maker is beyond me.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Anyone who gets over makes the company money, so why they would want to deliberately scupper a potential money-maker is beyond me.

Because Knowing Vince, he hates the fans (dunno why, they’ve never had a bad word to say about him, he’s probably just petty) and doesn’t want anyone the fans like to get over. He doesn’t care about money, he will leave money on the table just to bury someone the fans like. Please don’t point out the fact that this Vince Bad contradicts the “only cares about money” Vince Bad.

2 hours ago, David said:

Why wouldn't they want him to get over? I assume him being over would have meant more money for the company?

I assume for the same reason that most the wrestlers aren’t allowed to go unscripted on a live mic. If half the roster decided to start doing random shit online to try and get over it could lead to any type of bad press. Imagine if a nutter like Lars Sullivan decided to do something creative to get himself over off his own back.

Ryder was kept off tele while arenas chanted “we want Ryder” and only even ended up using him when they had no choice. All the evidence suggests they didn’t want to encourage people taking it upon themselves to get over. They seem okay with wrestlers chatting a bit of shit on twitter, but even knows where the line is.