Richie Freebird

Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

27 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Make sure you don't ever watch Rey Mysterio vs. Big Show, Kane or Undertaker.

Rey is a world champion quality wrestler fighting other world champion wrestlers. 

This is you fighting Jon Jones.

As I specifically stated when I said I could buy Ronda or Nia perhaps. It’s not just because she’s a woman. It’s because she’s a nobody and a woman vs the best in the world. 

The only real world answer as to why this is at all believable is that wrestling is fake. And that’s fine if everyone is happy with that. But it makes no sense outside of that. You could buy Ronda beating a guy because of her past and Nia beating guys because of her size. Not top guys. But some guys. But Bea is a low level indie wrestler/sometimes prelim wrestler for AEW vs one of new Japan’s top guys and future world champions. 

Again, if your answer to why this makes sense is just because it’s fake then cool. But there’s no logical reason why the best in the world is getting bumped around by a prelim indie girl. 

Edited by Yakashi

10 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Rey is a world champion quality wrestler fighting other world champion wrestlers.

Rey is a tiny man fighting super-heavyweights. There's not a fighting discipline on earth where that makes sense apart from pro-wrestling. Same with inter-gender. It's not my bag but the "making sense" aspect of it isn't why.

2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Rey is a tiny man fighting super-heavyweights. There's not a fighting discipline on earth where that makes sense apart from pro-wrestling. Same with inter-gender. It's not my bag but the "making sense" aspect of it isn't why.

So the answer is because it’s fake? Which is what I said. 

If you can explain why it makes sense outside of wrestling being fake, without using whataboutisms, I’ll happily take it in and re-evaluate. I just don’t see how it translates to anything logical outside of wrestling being fake. And that’s fine. It doesn’t mean it’s bad. Just that it doesn’t make sense in the real world. 

Edited by Yakashi

You can use the cause it’s fake reason for any match. Try a head scissors in the street and see how that shit goes down 

Just now, Louch said:

You can use the cause it’s fake reason for any match. Try a head scissors in the street and see how that shit goes down 

time to dig out the classic 'using wrestling moves in real fights' thread

8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It made even less sense when he was World Champion and got almost no offense even on comebacks.

2 minutes ago, Louch said:

Yeah of course. But through history weve sort of come to accept that bouncing someone off the ropes is OK in wrestling. As ridiculous as it is, it’s ingrained. 

But we haven’t got to the point that prelim level women batting around superstar top level heavyweights is OK. It annoys me (on a small level) at the same level as it would if Brock had to do it with Zack Ryder. It’s not just that she’s a woman. It’s that she’s basically a nobody as well. And I get it that he’s doing a favour for his girlfriend. It’s a nice thing to do. It won’t stop me watching him wrestle. I just find it nonsensical. 

8 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

So the answer is because it’s fake? Which is what I said.

If that's what you want to take from it. It's pro-wrestling, of course it's fake. Anything can make sense in that realm if you write it. You just defended a midget like Rey Mysterio because he's "a world champion quality wrestler". He is because that's the story they tell.

Just now, tiger_rick said:

If that's what you want to take from it. It's pro-wrestling, of course it's fake. Anything can make sense in that realm if you write it. You just defended a midget like Rey Mysterio because he's "a world champion quality wrestler". He is because that's the story they tell.

I didn’t defend it. I found that preposterous as well. I just said it’s two top level people fighting. Rather than one top level person and one nobody. One is more believable than the other. 

In the same way that Stipe Miocic vs a guy doing prelims in the 135 division of cage rage is ridiculous, stipe miocic vs a 135lb woman doing prelims on cage rage is even more ridiculous. 

The second biggest event in pay-per-view history was a boxer with a 49-0 record boxing a man who had never had a professional boxing match before.

57 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

In the same way that Stipe Miocic vs a guy doing prelims in the 135 division of cage rage is ridiculous, stipe miocic vs a 135lb woman doing prelims on cage rage is even more ridiculous. 

And we can now say that Kenny Omega vs a 9-year-old girl got a bigger gate than WrestleMania.

[cornetteintensifies.jpg]

42 minutes ago, JNLister said:

The second biggest event in pay-per-view history was a boxer with a 49-0 record boxing a man who had never had a professional boxing match before.

Would it have been the second biggest event ever if that same boxer fought a woman that 99% of the potential audience had never heard of and that had never accomplished anything of note in any field? What an absurd comparison. 

1 hour ago, Yakashi said:

It annoys me (on a small level) at the same level as it would if Brock had to do it with Zack Ryder. It’s not just that she’s a woman.

What about when world champ Triple H used to bump his arse off for scrubs like Taka Michinoku? or when John Cena did his US title open challenge and was going 20-minutes every week and trading nearfalls with people nowhere near his level? Or a few weeks back when comedy act Orange Cassidy took super-serious athlete Pac to the limit?

You're talking shite.

Bret Hart's burial on the Steve Austin podcast is quite something considering Goldberg is the current Universal Champion. 

Absolutely slaughtered him haha

2 hours ago, Yakashi said:

Would it have been the second biggest event ever if that same boxer fought a woman that 99% of the potential audience had never heard of and that had never accomplished anything of note in any field? What an absurd comparison. 

Bea Priestly wrestled in the main event of a show on ITV 1 with an audience of 600,000 people.