Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Bret would have come back, I've no doubt about it. The chance to work with Eddie, Jericho, Angle, Benoit, Rock, Lesnar, etc, etc would have tempted him. Probably ego rather than money if we're all honest, but he'd definitely have come back to add those matches to his legacy, I think.

And they would have been bloody brilliant.

• Paid Members

He'd have been back for sure. He was only about 43 when he retired. He'd have probably been perfect for 2003-2006. Have a couple of years as a semi-regular and then pack it in.

Mind you, I doubt he'd have lasted that long. Look at him now. His knees are shot. His wrists are knackered. The head injuries obviously finished him, but he's a mess physically. Doing 14 years in the WWF, exclusively on those rings has made him one of those Harley Race/Iron Sheik type old blokes who look to have trouble walking at this stage of the game.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

5 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

He'd have been back for sure. He was only about 43 when he retired. He'd have probably been perfect for 2003-2006. Have a couple of years as a semi-regular and then pack it in.

Mind you, I doubt he'd have lasted that long. Look at him now. His knees are shot. His wrists are knackered. The head injuries obviously finished him, but he's a mess physically. Doing 14 years in the WWF, exclusively on those rings has made him one of those Harley Race/Iron Sheik type old blokes who look to have trouble walking at this stage of the game.

I dunno, I think he'd have Kurt Angle'd it and gone on longer than he should have.

I know Jeff Jarrett was close with Owen, but what’s his relationship like with Bret? @UK Kat Von D’s suggestion of Bret in TNA seems plausible to me, with a bitter Bret cutting off his nose to spite his face (and Vince McMahon) and sticking with the smaller company, at least initially.

Still, it would have been fun to see him work with a young AJ Styles if nothing else.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Jarrett and Bret are matey, but Borash and Bret are proper besties. I doubt he would have joined TNA ever, though. He didnt even make an appearance for them, after they tried for years to get him.

That's what made his recent-ish appearance with AEW to be so weird in my mind tbh. 

I accept that Hogan was a factor post late 2009, but there were loads of earlier attempts.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

There's never been a more WWF wrestler than Bret Hart. He hated any ring that wasnt 20x20 and had real ropes and gave you knee replacements. He hated the psychology of New Japan, All Japan, EMLL, Crockett and everywhere else. He did a lot of moaning, but he seemed to love Vince's vision of wrestling.

I never understood how he saw Vince as a father figure, like he said in Wrestling with Shadows. He was there 14 years. Vince never did house shows, so didnt see him for about 250 days of the year. He was a tag wrestler who didnt acknowledge him for the first 7 years. A midcarder for another 2. He had 4 years as a headliner. One of those he was left for most of the year. So he'd have been close to Vince from 1993 to early 1996. Most of that was prefering Shawn Michaels to him or telling him Hulk Hogan thought he was a cunt. Then he told him he didnt need him and double crossed him in his final year. Sounds like the relationship I had with my boss in retail years ago.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Speaking of Bret and Vince, this just popped up on my YouTube recommendations. It’s Bret telling the story of the night everyone did their finishers on Vince in some strip club. Been told a thousand times but I liked this telling of it and the follow up of the party in Flair’s room after;

10 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

I think Bret, post-WCW, wouldn’t have trusted any start-ups (or any company other than the WWF) to understand how to use him in a way that would further his legacy. It was Vince or nothing.

Well he has made an appearance for AEW (obviously well past his prime so) but I think he’d have avoided TNA because of the absolute bollocks they used to do. The stupid and insulting angles/characters was everything he would hate. Especially in those early asylum years, was enough to embarrass any proper wrestler.

I think the only way he would have done TNA is he was part owner and able to have a say on whatever is being put out. That’s the ultimate ego boost. 

They could have even had it where anything good was Brett’s idea and anything bad was Jeff’s idea