Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Yakashi said:

Would it have been the second biggest event ever if that same boxer fought a woman that 99% of the potential audience had never heard of and that had never accomplished anything of note in any field? What an absurd comparison. 

Bea Priestly wrestled in the main event of a show on ITV 1 with an audience of 600,000 people.

59 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Bea Priestly wrestled in the main event of a show on ITV 1 with an audience of 600,000 people.

If you showed those 600k people a photo of her, how many could tell you what her name was? Those 600k would be there regardless. No one outside of her immediate family tuned in to see her. She just happened to be there. 

This is the most absurd argument I think ive ever read on here. Comparing bea priestly to connor McGregor because she wrestled on world of sport. Just incredible. 

Edited by Yakashi

It's on a show for a YouTube audience, quite a few of whom will be what is charmingly referred to on here as 'Dem'.

I'd be very surprised if a large chunk of them weren't familiar with Bea from WCPW, AEW (where incidentally she's been pushed pretty strongly) or even just Ospreay's Twitter. All this besides the fact that for better or worse she's not long off a run with a major belt in Japan's biggest Women's promotion, the comparison to a prelim fighter on Invicta comes across as false equivalence bred by ignorance or just stubbornness.

2 hours ago, Yakashi said:

This is the most absurd argument I think ive ever read on here. Comparing bea priestly to connor McGregor because she wrestled on world of sport. Just incredible. 

Comparing Will Ospreay to Brock Lesnar is a bit mental as well, like.

• Paid Members

There are plenty of times when a top-flight wrestler sells for someone "beneath" them - someone mentioned Triple H vs. Taka.

Nothing wrong with Ospreay selling for Bea on the same grounds - he's not a Goldberg or a Lesnar steamrolling his opponents, in kayfabe he's winning competitive matches. Someone who spends as much time with him as Bea will know him inside and out and, in kayfabe, know weaknesses that maybe Will himself doesn't realise he has.

I'm not a fan of Bea at all, but to say that her vs. Ospreay is inherently bad is daft, if I can justify it off the top of my head in a few seconds.

26 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Someone who spends as much time with him as Bea will know him inside and out and, in kayfabe, know weaknesses that maybe Will himself doesn't realise he has.

If you wanna factor that aspect of it in could also say that out of everyone his missus is the one person he wouldn’t be as aggressive with as opposed to some hard case in Japan. Haven’t seen the match but on paper it makes sense.

Intergender matches make me feel uncomfortable so I wouldn’t watch it anyway 

On 3/17/2020 at 12:18 PM, Winston said:

Bret Hart's burial on the Steve Austin podcast is quite something considering Goldberg is the current Universal Champion. 

Absolutely slaughtered him haha

He did this last year at the convention in Liverpool. Quietly started talking about how he liked Bill, didn't wanna talk shit but then goes on to finish with he ruined my career and life and cost me millions of dollars

Edited by Cannibal Man

• Paid Members

I can’t even picture where Bret would’ve fit in back in the WWF if the career ender against Goldberg didn’t happen. Assuming he came back after WCW folded in 2001, I can’t picture him at all in that whole Invasion angle. You know they’d have wanted to harp on Montreal but Shawn wasn’t back yet and Triple H was out injured most of that year. I suppose the natural feud would’ve been a babyface Bret Hart vs newly heel Steve Austin with Vince in his corner. The matches would’ve been great, no doubt. Whatever you thought of his heel run, I thought Austin had a strong 2001 in the ring. But the Vince/Screwjob and the Invasion bollocks probably would’ve been a right mess and overshadowed it. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Or he doesn’t want to go to WWF at all because he still hates Vince, so instead decides to go in with Jarrett running TNA. Jeff as top heel and Bett as top face. Brett blocks all Russo involvement and keeps the promotion a lot more traditional. He blocks the name TNA and manages to get the rights to Stampede or just rolls with NWA. They corner the market in Canada along with the cities looking to fill the void from WCW. Without the wackiness and the added credibility that Brett has they manage to get proper funding early on and wrestling over the last 20 years is totally different. 
Or he would have just semi-retired for a few years, opening a wrestling school and doing occasional big shows in Japan. 

Actually, Bret leading the charge in the invasion with DDP and Booker as his wingmen might've been just the thing to keep the WCW side of things seem legitimate. Bret might not have ever been seen as a proper WCW guy but the motivation would've been there, the desire to take down Vince as an act of revenge for the screwjob.

Edited by Love-Wilcox
Bret with one "t" after reading another thread.

I don't imagine it was never even discussed or considered for Bret to be revealed as part funding Shane's purchase or coming in with a non wrestling capacity. I think WWE made repeated efforts to bring him back to the company for years its just that he had no interest.

• Paid Members

Yeah I’m not saying it was the plan or anything. But I think things might’ve been different if Bret wasn’t hurt and could still wrestle at the time WCW went down. There’s other things he could’ve possibly done, like Kat says, but I think Bret would’ve ended up mending fences with Vince earlier. Reluctantly, but I think it would’ve happened. Bret’s ego and the chance to right the wrong for his hero character, as he sees himself, in storylines against Vince plus work with the likes of Austin, Taker etc again. I think he’d have been tempted back. Maybe not quite as early as 2001, but certainly a lot sooner than 2010 when he finally came back.