Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

1 minute ago, chokeout said:

In a time when WWE are signing more talent than ever before and trying to lock down everyone with name recognition they can't be bothered with Matt. That's very odd

I don't think they didn't try. There was a report saying he'd been offered a chance to go and work with NXT, whether in ring or backstage I'm not sure. They've definitely thrown offers at him, but he's said it's not what he wants creatively.

Matt Hardy is right on the line between talented guy AEW should sign and over the hill, would make them look like the new TNA.

Given they've already got Dustin doing the grizzled veteran shtick, and their experiments with wacky/gothic characters have largely been failures, I think they should probably pass on having him in front of camera.

In tony khans Post show chat Saturday he talks about the dark order being a corporation, so maybe all the guesses at it being a spookie/dark type are Off and it’s more of a JBL type character. Can’t think of anyone on the market that would fit that role tho. Unless we see the return of Big Money Matt 

Just seen the rumour that WWE are set to buy AJPW, and presumably run it as NXT Japan.

I imagine this might not be popular with our Chinese wrestling fans on here?

7 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Yeah, Matt Hardy being revealed as the Exalted One would be the only choice more underwhelming than Raven. Fuck that.

With the greatest respect in the world if Matt Hardy, one of the bigger name free agents out there, is underwhelming to you, who wouldn’t be?

As for it making AEW look ‘TNA’, I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing in this case. Broken Matt was one of the final impactful things (pun intended) that promotion was able to do before they started running shows out of whoever’s bedroom that is. The only time they actually gave Hardy a chance to explore that character in WWE, he ended up producing a rather acclaimed piece of television.

If AEW truly is a case of ‘letting the artist paint their own canvas’ it could end up being fun, Hardy is clearly a very creative, very intelligent guy.

Whether or not that character fits in with the tone of AEW’s current product is a separate debate.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

With the greatest respect in the world if Matt Hardy, one of the bigger name free agents out there, is underwhelming to you, who wouldn’t be?

Somebody who hasn't been boring the pants off me for the past twenty years.

I know I'm alone in this but outside of Matt Hardy V.1, both Matt and Jeff have never done anything for me. I did get caught up in the nostalgia pop when they returned at Mania a few years back, then I watched them the next night on Raw and remembered that I just don't like either of them. They're proper fast-forward material for me.

Never found the Broken stuff entertaining too outside of a few one-liners.

6 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Somebody who hasn't been boring the pants off me for the past twenty years.

I know I'm alone in this but outside of Matt Hardy V.1, both Matt and Jeff have never done anything for me. I did get caught up in the nostalgia pop when they returned at Mania a few years back, then I watched them the next night on Raw and remembered that I just don't like either of them. They're proper fast-forward material for me.

Never found the Broken stuff entertaining too outside of a few one-liners.

Fair enough. I disagree with you, but fair enough. I didn’t like the broken stuff at first either, it was too off-the-wall. It grew on me, although I’ll admit that I’m not sure that character would comfortably fit into an episode of Dynamite without disrupting the voice they seem to have found. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Pinc said:

Will this mean the All Japan tape library on the Network (!)?

Even if this does end up seeing WWE buy AJPW outright (I'm not convinced that it will), I believe the vast majority of the tape library belongs to the TV network that aired it, not to AJPW.

It's an interesting situation, though - if WWE ever gets round to expanding to putting "indie" promotions on the Network beyond that one EVOLVE show, the only things they'll really be missing is international stuff. I wonder if they would actually upload whole shows with non-English commentary, or would just mine it for highlights in documentaries, and put key matches on with rerecorded commentary.

18 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's an interesting situation, though - if WWE ever gets round to expanding to putting "indie" promotions on the Network beyond that one EVOLVE show, the only things they'll really be missing is international stuff. I wonder if they would actually upload whole shows with non-English commentary, or would just mine it for highlights in documentaries, and put key matches on with rerecorded commentary.

The thought of Michael Cole commentating on some epic NJPW matches terrifies me...