Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

They definitely sent the wrong one to developmental.

Mistico was the first Triple H hire, wasn't he? I always assumed this was after Jonny Ace hired the wrong one. Like the time they sent him to get Zach Gowan and he came back with some guy Steve Keirn had trained. Imagine being the guy who hired the wrong one legged wrestler.

18 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Mistico was the first Triple H hire, wasn't he? I always assumed this was after Jonny Ace hired the wrong one. Like the time they sent him to get Zach Gowan and he came back with some guy Steve Keirn had trained. Imagine being the guy who hired the wrong one legged wrestler.

I thought Sheamus was a Triple H signing?

Edited by wordsfromlee

• Paid Members

I do think Mistico got a bad rap in WWE, but he was the absolute poster-child forĀ whyĀ people are sent to developmental to learn "WWE style" regardless of how much experience they've had elsewhere.Ā 

He wasn't a bad signing on paper, though - biggest box office draw in Mexico in forever, perfectly positioned to be the next Rey Mysterio. Problem is that WWE had no idea what made Rey Mysterio theĀ firstĀ Rey Mysterio, and didn't know how to present Sin Cara in a way to replicate that. At one point they were looking at bringing in Averno to feud with him, and absolutely should have done - the same way Rey first got noticed by wrestling Psicosis everywhere before transitioning into matches with American opponents, and the same way they tried to get Great Sasuke over by giving him TAKA to work with, they should have had Mistico working matches with people he was comfortable with, and not throwing him into matches with the likes of Jack Swagger and Sheamus right from the off.Ā 

They tried to do that after a while by feuding him with Chavo, but even he couldnā€™t get a decent Lucha match out of the guy and heā€™s a fucking Guerrero.

Wasnt part of his deal, and Iā€™ve always taken this with a pinch of salt, that he go straight to the main roster andĀ forego developmental?Ā 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

They tried to do that after a while by feuding him with Chavo, but even he couldnā€™t get a decent Lucha match out of the guy and heā€™s a fucking Guerrero.

Wasnt part of his deal, and Iā€™ve always taken this with a pinch of salt, that he go straight to the main roster andĀ forego developmental?Ā 

Being a Guerrero aside - and I loved Chavo on commentary during Sin Cara matches insisting he invented everything that Sin Cara was doing - I'd never actually consider him a Lucha guy. Apparently he was working Mexico at the start of his career, but he was in WCW within two years of debuting, and then didn't work Mexico again until his WWE run ended some 15 years later, and never as more than a one-off special attraction.

I don't know if it was contractual that he would forego development, or if it was just that he was such a big name that they wanted to capitalise as quickly as possible, not realising how vastly different working as a top level luchadore is to working WWE TV. I remember an interview with Vampiro where he talked about how Rey Mysterio and Alberto Del Rio were able to adapt quickly because they were effectively American, in terms of culture and language, while Mistico was coming in with an entirely different background, very little English, and used to a completely different way of working.Ā 

They seemed to think that they could make him a star in the WWE mold by having him win easy squash matches and rub shoulders with John Cena. But Rey Mysterio didn't get over winning squashes, he got over by working competitive matches with similarly talented luchadores, and then by being a master of sympathetic selling - that we hardly ever saw Sin Cara on the receiving end of a beating meant he never connected on that level.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I do think Mistico got a bad rap in WWE, but he was the absolute poster-child forĀ whyĀ people are sent to developmental to learn "WWE style" regardless of how much experience they've had elsewhere.Ā 

He wasn't a bad signing on paper, though - biggest box office draw in Mexico in forever, perfectly positioned to be the next Rey Mysterio. Problem is that WWE had no idea what made Rey Mysterio theĀ firstĀ Rey Mysterio, and didn't know how to present Sin Cara in a way to replicate that. At one point they were looking at bringing in Averno to feud with him, and absolutely should have done - the same way Rey first got noticed by wrestling Psicosis everywhere before transitioning into matches with American opponents, and the same way they tried to get Great Sasuke over by giving him TAKA to work with, they should have had Mistico working matches with people he was comfortable with, and not throwing him into matches with the likes of Jack Swagger and Sheamus right from the off.Ā 

Yeah they 'tried' to help I think by having him wrestle Chavo and Daniel Bryan a few times as there was an assumption they'd know what to do in there with a Luchador.Ā 

But yeah they'd have been far better off bringing in some other luchadors for him to bounce off. Hell even the Mexicools couldĀ have come back!

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Wrasslin said:

But yeah they'd have been far better off bringing in some other luchadors for him to bounce off. Hell even the Mexicools couldĀ have come back!

There was a rumour doing the rounds shortly after he debuted that Averno was being signed to come in and feud with him. Obviously came to nothing, but presumably it was something they were at least toying with.Ā 

"Story" hereĀ https://bleacherreport.com/articles/716451-wwe-breaking-news-averno-signs-to-wwe-working-with-sin-cara

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Being a Guerrero aside - and I loved Chavo on commentary during Sin Cara matches insisting he invented everything that Sin Cara was doing - I'd never actually consider him a Lucha guy. Apparently he was working Mexico at the start of his career, but he was in WCW within two years of debuting, and then didn't work Mexico again until his WWE run ended some 15 years later, and never as more than a one-off special attraction.

That's a really interesting point, actually - Chavo was considered one of those Sean Waltman-types, who you'd stick people in with to find out if they could go, wasn't he? It says a lot about the Guerrero family that he effectively had a very different career to Eddie, but was able to work to that standard in a different environment and overall approach. But that Eddie had such an extra string to his bow with that Mexican and Japanese experience that he could dip back into so fluidly.