Sign in to follow this  
Richie Freebird

Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Austin Vs Alistair Black would be really good or Tomaso Champa. Neither are big enough to actually get the match booked but they would be something special and really would elevate either talent. Both of them have that BMF walk type attitude and confidence.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

That sort of match really has to be a Wrestlemania main event though.  Can you imagine the buyrate for Austin v Cena?

It probably wouldn’t beat the buyrate for Cena v Mark Henry in 2013. I can’t see WWE ever making much money on PPV again now. 

7 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

It probably wouldn’t beat the buyrate for Cena v Mark Henry in 2013. I can’t see WWE ever making much money on PPV again now. 

The mania event still needs to feel special. If they didn't have some form of being different then wwe would risk (I know this is unlikely) not selling out stadiums, holiday packages and various extras over a week which must make them shit loads. 

Stone Cold’s likely too smart to ever agree to a Wrestlemania main event in the future.  No matter what prestige, “Wrestlemania Main Event,” might still hold, there’s no way it’s worth it to go out there and try to perform in front of a dead crowd that’s sat through a ten hour show and just wants to go home.

He's only going to come back because the money is daft. He's supposedly had a few offers in retirement to do a main event at Wrestlemania, but turned it down. Like his Hall of Fame induction, I don't think he really gives too much of a shit. Not when the terms are "fuck you, pay me".

30 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

It's on WWE.com.

Thanks, it's nice to have a source for where it's been confirmed. 

On 8/12/2019 at 8:12 PM, Snitsky's back acne said:

Another casualty of WWE's expansion into the UK?

Indirectly in that it's pushed up the fees a lot of the wrestlers charge and it's not a promotion that's in a position to raise prices. But the main reasons given are the three guys running it are all too busy in their "real lives", and that they have struggled with venues: they sell out their smaller regular ones, but anything bigger round here either won't touch wrestling or is way too expensive to hire unless you're charging MMA-like ticket prices.

5 hours ago, JNLister said:

Indirectly in that it's pushed up the fees a lot of the wrestlers charge and it's not a promotion that's in a position to raise prices. But the main reasons given are the three guys running it are all too busy in their "real lives", and that they have struggled with venues: they sell out their smaller regular ones, but anything bigger round here either won't touch wrestling or is way too expensive to hire unless you're charging MMA-like ticket prices.

That seems to be a recurring, under-discussed, problem in a lot of places. Certainly in much of London, there's a huge price gulf between your 100-200 capacity venues and  your 200-300 capacity, that wouldn't be covered by a reasonable ticket price increase. 

Between that, and wrestlers being able to charge more for their services, in many ways we're starting to see the "BritWres Boom" become a victim of its own success.

Edited by BomberPat

57 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That seems to be a recurring, under-discussed, problem in a lot of places. Certainly in much of London, there's a huge price gulf between your 100-200 capacity venues and  your 200-300 capacity, that wouldn't be covered by a reasonable price increase. 

Between that, and wrestlers being able to charge more for their services, in many ways we're starting to see the "BritWres Boom" become a victim of its own success.

And rightfully so. Pete Dunn and Ospreay were on a show I was involved in, probably 2010/11 and were paid petrol money. He was in a car with 3 wrestlers to make travelling from the midlands to Essex more reasonable. Ain't nobody living like that, yet it was seen as acceptable back then because the show was just about covering it's costs.  Reason I never tried to get into promoting

17 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And rightfully so. Pete Dunn and Ospreay were on a show I was involved in, probably 2010/11 and were paid petrol money. He was in a car with 3 wrestlers to make travelling from the midlands to Essex more reasonable. Ain't nobody living like that, yet it was seen as acceptable back then because the show was just about covering it's costs.  Reason I never tried to get into promoting

Oh, absolutely. The "name" wrestlers being able to make decent money is what a boom period should be about - we want them to be able to make money, make a full-time living from wrestling, and give back to the scene. 

The promotions that struggle (and that create the sense of the "boom" being over) are those that we're seeing now struggle to keep things ticking over as those costs go up, because as a promoter you want to keep using the name talent, but it's not always viable to accommodate that elsewhere - venues being unaffordable, it not being viable to increase ticket prices, and so on. I think what we're seeing now is less the end of a boom period and more a period of adjustment, with all these factors in play.