Richie Freebird

Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Maybe WWE will bring him in and Brock can get his win back. Although, I did think Brock’s selling in the first match was a bit over the top. 

7DE2B2DF-64DA-4E5A-8C91-BC4E2AA32229.gif

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Maybe WWE will bring him in and Brock can get his win back. Although, I did think Brock’s selling in the first match was a bit over the top. 

7DE2B2DF-64DA-4E5A-8C91-BC4E2AA32229.gif

It’s hypnotising. Like Hogan/Michaels at Summerslam

Velasquez was great fun - clearly committed to learning; he hit a fun springboard arm drag too, though it was largely downhill from there. The remainder of his offence was some pretty poor strikes, and some judo takedowns with very little "sizzle" to them, and a lot of standing around awkwardly not knowing what to do. But for a first match, he was great, and with exactly the right kind of opponents to make him look good - and all anyone will be talking about was him unexpectedly doing some lucha, rather than just faux-MMA, so the weaker points are all academic, really.

He's apparently signed on for a couple more matches with AAA, and they've teased a trios match that will have him on the opposite side of the ring to L.A. Park. What a time to be alive.

How awesome would it be if he'd done the old Mr America/Hulk Hogan gimmick? Showing up in wrestling under a mask, and still competing in MMA while completely no-selling the wrestling thing? 

"Pro wrestling? I'm a contracted UFC fighter, I'm not doing pro wrestling. I have no idea who that guy is."

Have Dana White doing a lie detector test on ESPN, show him getting all flummoxed when the interviewer asks him if he fucked about with Ronda Rousey during her early UFC days.

I genuinely loved the Mr America angle.  When was the last time anyone did the mask angle, was that the last time?  I know John Cena appeared as Juan Cena one time but as a sustained angle I always think it's fantastic.

31 minutes ago, Loki said:

I genuinely loved the Mr America angle.  When was the last time anyone did the mask angle, was that the last time?  I know John Cena appeared as Juan Cena one time but as a sustained angle I always think it's fantastic.

They did something like it with Elias when he was still in NXT and he lost a Loser Leaves Match.

Last person I remember doing it on main roster was after CM Punk got his head shaved after losing to Rey Mysterio

2 hours ago, Loki said:

I'm fucking gutted they didn't go with the Juan Cena angle after he was fired in...late 2010? They could've had a mariachi band playing his theme and everything, it's perfect for that kind of theme.

Don't know if this has been reported anywhere else but Oriental Wrestling Entertainment has 5 shows booked over here in September.
18-19th September at The Dome in London.
20th to the 22nd September at The Black-E in Liverpool.

Heard good things but never seen OWE so might pop along to one of the Liverpool shows and check them out.

21 hours ago, Loki said:

I don't know if I've got this exactly right, but didn't Dean Malenko return under the Ciclope mask in wCw? Or was that meant to be a mystery until the reveal?

I'm pretty sure that someone else did do the whole "obvious identity under a mask to wind someone up" gimmick before, but it's eluding me at the mo.

Malenko was only Ciclope in that one Battle Royal. Ciclope was ordinarily portrayed by Halloween, and was never presented as a "mystery" masked man.

love the "Charlie Brown From Outta Town" masked man angle, though. The beauty of it is that it's always the most recognisable man on the roster doing it - Hogan, Andre, Dusty, Jimmy Valiant, Junkyard Dog. Brilliant stuff.

7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Malenko was only Ciclope in that one Battle Royal. Ciclope was ordinarily portrayed by Halloween, and was never presented as a "mystery" masked man.

love the "Charlie Brown From Outta Town" masked man angle, though. The beauty of it is that it's always the most recognisable man on the roster doing it - Hogan, Andre, Dusty, Jimmy Valiant, Junkyard Dog. Brilliant stuff.

I absolutely loved the late 90’s Blue Blazer version. The fact both Jeff & Owen were involved was fantastic stuff.

16 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I absolutely loved the late 90’s Blue Blazer version. The fact both Jeff & Owen were involved was fantastic stuff.

And Koko that one week, magnificent.

7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

That was the one! The Midnight Rider.

7 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

And that was the other one I didn't realise I was also thinking of. Owen as the Blue Blazer.

Thanks, guys.

Wasn't there a short lived group in the 80's called The Machines, that were a bunch of WWF guys pretending to be Japanese? Think Andre, Studd and Hogan were among the wrestlers under the masks.

Any love for Yellow Dog?

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

That was the one! The Midnight Rider.

Trivia Question!

On World Wide Wrestling TV the "Midnight Rider" came out for a match as the conclusion of the angle. During the match Dusty Rhodes came to ringside to supposedly prove it was never him (it obviously was), but who was unmasked as the "Midnight Rider" in his one & only appearance in this role?