Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

They have 5+ hours of TV not including developmental, network shows and house show loops, that requires bodies be they over or not. Couple that with the slew of people openly wanting out and I can understand a panic attack about retaining people. Hell last time Vince was rattled about talent not wanting or needing the WWF he gave Bret a deal he couldn't afford and offered Johnny B Badd an unheard of downside. 

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

They have 5+ hours of TV not including developmental, network shows and house show loops, that requires bodies be they over or not. Couple that with the slew of people openly wanting out and I can understand a panic attack about retaining people. Hell last time Vince was rattled about talent not wanting or needing the WWF he gave Bret a deal he couldn't afford and offered Johnny B Badd an unheard of downside. 

He has more talent under contract than he could possibly do anything with.
I can understand locking up top talent or wrestlers he perhaps sees some potential in but at this stage it absolutely must just be control and nothing more.
I mean, look at the Harper situation - the guy wants out, WWE is not using him and clearly sees nothing in him so why not let him go? In that situation what is the point of keeping someone under contract who does not want to be there and who you clearly don't want to use?

10 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

He has more talent under contract than he could possibly do anything with.
I can understand locking up top talent or wrestlers he perhaps sees some potential in but at this stage it absolutely must just be control and nothing more.
I mean, look at the Harper situation - the guy wants out, WWE is not using him and clearly sees nothing in him so why not let him go? In that situation what is the point of keeping someone under contract who does not want to be there and who you clearly don't want to use?

So noone else can.

19 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

So noone else can.

I get that part - that's obvious...my point is why would they care if they have nothing for them anyway?
'I don't want Harper but I'll be damned if anyone else can have him!' 'Why?' '...just BECAUSE, dammit...'

If you feel they have worth to you - keep them, use them.
If you feel they have no worth to you - get rid of them... if they are of no use it's no loss. So what if someone else uses them?

Essentially Vince is a hoarder.
He never uses any of the talent that is cluttering up his roster but he doesn't want to throw any of it away either. 

Because he doesn't want good workers appearing anywhere else.  Money football clubs did this for years until mediocre players (I'm thinking of you Winston Borgarde) started to play the game the opposite way and sit out lucrative contracts.

Winston Bogarde was always a useful squad member apart from his last few years at Chelsea. That was because he was on crazy wages that other clubs didnt want to take on though and he was happy to sit and collect his money instead of leave and earn less.

Football clubs keeping players who wont make the first 11 or are unlikely to is not a great comparison. That usually happens due to needing competition for training, the cost of fees to replace people most usually for more than you sell people you didnt want for, or also for the lucrative loan market where other clubs pay fees to develop your players for you and often cover their wages too.

With regards to Maria and Mike Kanellis, Maria has little to no nostalgia name value. No more than for example Kelly Kelly. Mike is never going to develop into more than he is currently and there is a near constant stream of solid yet vanilla workers who could step into his position any time required from either within or outwith the company. So to me it is a truly baffling bit of business to tie them to 5 year deals and commit to paying them both for that amount of time.

Also where it is dangerous is for other talent holding them to ransom if they see people like Mike Kanellis being given a 5 year deal possibly on goof wages...lets remember some of the insane amounts rumoured to have been offered to Tye Dillinger.

WWE may have money to burn currently but overpaying a bunch of people who wouldnt be missed is a dangerous trend to set.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I get that part - that's obvious...my point is why would they care if they have nothing for them anyway?
'I don't want Harper but I'll be damned if anyone else can have him!' 'Why?' '...just BECAUSE, dammit...'

If you feel they have worth to you - keep them, use them.
If you feel they have no worth to you - get rid of them... if they are of no use it's no loss. So what if someone else uses them?

Essentially Vince is a hoarder.
He never uses any of the talent that is cluttering up his roster but he doesn't want to throw any of it away either. 

Vince let Stardust go and he ended up creating a promotion that’s sold out three 10,000+ seater shows and done an approximate 100,000 buy PPV, without even being on TV. No wonder Vince is spooked about releasing people even if he himself can’t see their potential. 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Winston Bogarde was always a useful squad member apart from his last few years at Chelsea. That was because he was on crazy wages that other clubs didnt want to take on though and he was happy to sit and collect his money instead of leave and earn less.

Football clubs keeping players who wont make the first 11 or are unlikely to is not a great comparison.

It's entirely possible I wasn't being entirely serious.

2 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Football clubs keeping players who wont make the first 11 or are unlikely to is not a great comparison. That usually happens due to needing competition for training, the cost of fees to replace people most usually for more than you sell people you didnt want for, or also for the lucrative loan market where other clubs pay fees to develop your players for you and often cover their wages too.

Buying players that you would never plan on putting in your first XI/PPV to stop the opposition from having them is the same principle .  Bogarde may well have been a useful squad player or handy to have around during training or in the end just sitting back and collecting a big fat pay cheque but Chelsea have routinely stockpiled players who they have never given much of a chance to (Drinkwater and Sidwell to name 2).  WWE is doing the same and just because Luke Harper appears to want to continue his career but that doesn't change the reason for him not being granted his release is because WWE doesn't want him working elsewhere.   

Specific circumstances and nuances may well be different but the principle behind Vince keeping people under contract is the same as Chelsea and it will probably end up with someone happily picking up money for sitting around much like in WCW/Chelsea.

Edited by Dazzer

Nah, it's more like what Microsoft used to do.  They'd have about 5 people on the books for one job so that others couldn't hire them and when a new kid on the block came about, they'd hire them too.  Wrestling and proper sport analogies don't work, Chelsea et al have squad limits and supposed FPP to deal with and have things like results to worry about.  I mean even when Leicester won the league, they weren't the top dog.

On 6/13/2019 at 12:32 PM, Onyx2 said:

Want to star in a film no-one will see?

76dt5oohc2431.jpg?width=606&auto=webp&s=

More on this from Pro Wrestling Sheet.

After discovering a magical mask an 11-year-old aspiring wrestler enters a competition to become the next WWE superstar.

Production on “The Main Event” is currently underway in Vancouver.

The movie will star Kofi Kingston, Sheamus, The Miz and other WWE Superstars … as well as Ken Marino, Adam Pally and Tichina Arnold.

No word on whether Miz or Kofi will have to spend time away from WWE to film the flick. 

“The Main Event” is expected to premiere on Netflix in 2020.