Richie Freebird

Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

The 'chop off his pee pee' guy? His brother does the Japanese commentary for WWE with Funaki I think.

Yeah, that's the one.

It'd actually never dawned on me that Shun Yamaguchi might be related, despite the fact one of the things I enjoy most about PPVs these days is shouting out the names of the the foreign language announcers before the chyron comes up or Cole says their names.

Man, I never made that connection either. Thinking tonight we may get a little something when we "go round the world". Or will Shun sit tonight out (I assume he'll be headed to Japan to sort things out)

7 hours ago, Statto said:

one of the things I enjoy most about PPVs these days is shouting out the names of the the foreign language announcers before the chyron comes up or Cole says their names.

My favourite by far is Zhan Pomerantsev, the hunky young Keanu Reeves of foreign announcers.

10 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

My favourite by far is Zhan Pomerantsev, the hunky young Keanu Reeves of foreign announcers.

It’s all about Meng AI and Sean Deng

It’s well documented that someone is screaming in the English language commentators ears through a show but what about the other commentary teams? Are they given free reign or do they have their own respective producer keeping them on brand?

2 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

It’s well documented that someone is screaming in the English language commentators ears through a show but what about the other commentary teams? Are they given free reign or do they have their own respective producer keeping them on brand?

About a year ago, one of the French commentators said "I am the table" (in English), so I'm guessing no... 

1 hour ago, hallicks said:

About a year ago, one of the French commentators said "I am the table" (in English), so I'm guessing no... 

hqdefault.jpg

A friend reminded me this morning about a gem from Bob Holly's book, stating that the original idea after Ted Dibiase Jr. and Cody Rhodes turned on him, was to bring Billy Gunn in as his partner to do a grizzled vets Vs. upstarts type of feud. Given the propensity for the company to come up with team names based on merging gimmicks, as opposed to anything cool that speaks to what they are, I am disappointed we never got the team name "Hard Ass" on WWE TV.

1 minute ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

A friend reminded me this morning about a gem from Bob Holly's book, stating that the original idea after Ted Dibiase Jr. and Cody Rhodes turned on him, was to bring Billy Gunn in as his partner to do a grizzled vets Vs. upstarts type of feud. Given the propensity for the company to come up with team names based on merging gimmicks, as opposed to anything cool that speaks to what they are, I am disappointed we never got the team name "Hard Ass" on WWE TV.

Would've been a good little midcard feud too, I reckon.

Billy & Bob did have a little run as a tag team, I'm sure. Several years before that period, though.

In one of his stand-ups, Eddie Izzard had a routine which he performed mostly in French which began talking about describing something under a table. It wasn't a great reference, I'll concede, but fuck it I've done it now. No ragrets.

1 hour ago, Statto said:

Billy & Bob did have a little run as a tag team, I'm sure. Several years before that period, though.

They did, in 2004 (just before Gunn was released). I saw them wrestle WGTT on a house show on the WrestleMania Revenge tour that year.

They also had a Tag Title match against Rico and Charlie Haas at Judgement Day. Halcyon days.