Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

I was considering buying a ticket to the Belfast WWE house show in May, for the first time in years. I thought I'll ask a few friends who have some interest in wrestling (still fans, used to be fans, have an idea of who people are but don't watch, etc). 

WWE's advertising isn't worth the paper it's printed on these days as they feel perfectly within their rights to advertise something that they have no intention on delivering, so I keep delaying buying a ticket, especially knowing that it's a Raw house show and not one containing the much more interesting roster of the Smackdown brand. 

Then I looked up the results of a house show from this weekend.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-results/wwe-utica-live-results-strowman-vs-corbin-harper-action-279976

Imagine asking people you care about to spend money on that carry on? I'll be waiting until the death until I'm convinced Reigns, Rollins, Balor or maybe some additions from the draft are added to the touring roster before I'll be buying a ticket after reading that report. 

3 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I just liken it to Jake and the DDT.
Sure, it's been totally bastardised beyond all recognition now but the 'rule' used to be 'Don't do a DDT in the WWF while Jake is there'.
Maybe it's a 'Don't do the Ocean Cyclone Suplex in Japan' kind of deal. 

I appreciate that nobody 'owns' moves but, if it's a signature move that is so closely linked with one performer [the Tombstone, the Pedigree etc] I can see why that performer would, in theory, want it protecting.

Yeah, it's daft, but it's wrestling logic. It's like getting heat for not shaking everyone's hand with a limp handshake every time to you saw them, that kind of thing - the outside world goes 'Seriously?' but in wrestling it was the 'rule'. 

There is logic in not reproducing moves on shows though. Not just moves, but angles/ref bumps/run ins...pretty much everything associated with a wrestling show.

The less repetition on a show, the better! It gives the show a fresher, more free flowing experience to the punters in attendance.

• Awards Moderator

I went to a SmackDown live event a couple of years ago just so I could say I’d seen Nakamura and Styles live. AJ was great and Kevin Owens did some fun crowd-baiting but the rest of the show was totally forgettable. If you can get a cheap ticket consider it but you won’t miss anything if you don’t go. 

• Paid Members

I will say, regarding Bea Priestly, that more than once I've seen her use other people's finishers as transitional moves, even when that other person is on the card, and going over using that finish. That always leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and makes me more inclined to side with Toyota on this one. 

WWE loves shortening wrestler’s full names … including the latest subject, Mustafa Ali. 

Pro Wrestling Sheet had heard from sources that Mustafa would soon have his name shortened and now his WWE.com profile reflects that — as it simply lists his name as Ali. 

Mustafa has also changed his handle on Twitter to reflect the name change.

Ughhhhhh so stupid.

• Awards Moderator

Are you kidding me with this. Clearly it’s a trend they’re going with, like when loads of names began with The, or it was Someone ‘The Something’ Someone, but where does this end? It was bad enough when the women only ever got one name.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I absolutely hate this trend for shortening wrestlers' names, and from looking at social media reaction to the latest one, so do most fans. Have WWE ever given a justification for it? I'd love to know why they feel the need for it- because the only reason I can think of is that they think the fan base is made up entirely of morons too stupid to even remember their own surnames. 

• Paid Members

I really don't care about them shortening names. It's weird, but then there's far weirder stuff that they do. Andrade losing his surname hasn't really affected anyone beyond the first five minute outcry, has it?

• Paid Members

One of those comic/movie websites is reporting that Sting says he'd come out of retirement for a match against Taker.