Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Ospreay is a complete tosspot but this 'gifting moves' thing is fucking stupid.

To us, yes, but Japan is a different culture and its not like a bodyslam or similar. It was Toyota's unique, signature move that she gifted to Tsukasa Fujimoto when she retired. 

Its about respect and it not for Bea or Will to say that its not disrespectful in fairness - although this is not the first time Will in particular has been a dick on social media to those who came before him. He seems very much to be an 'I know better' type.

4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I just watched a video of that finisher. It's an electric chair that she stays on top of! Revolutionary.

Straight Jacket.... Electric Chair.... with a Bridge. And it was. Almost 30 years ago when she invented it.

Regardless, to me this is not a big deal. Wrestlers take inspiration where they find it. Of course it would be nice and more relevant with a origin/passing the torch/rival story to go with it. But she didn't do that, and since the move is Toyota's baby she feels a little hurt. It'll pass. Then again, the two she passed it down to didn't do it's importance/legacy much good, so the JOCSH is already watered down. Hope Bea at least uses it's respectfully. No point in insulting Toyota more, since there's no money to made for a feud as she's retired.

Edited by PUNQ

I appreciate what Toyota has tried to do. Successfully or not, she's tried to protect a part of her legacy. She can probably see the spot-heavy way wrestling is going, and doesn't want her invention to become just another move, like the DDT, figure four, or neckbreaker, for example.

• Paid Members

Ospreay also teased going for the move in a match after all this kicked off - so while Bea's usage of it could be considered potentially a faux pas, this one was just Will actively being a bit of a dick.

6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Ospreay is a complete tosspot but this 'gifting moves' thing is fucking stupid.

This.

Apparently a lot of Japanese fans have called out Toyota as a massive hypocrite because she took moves without permission, herself.

Toyota comes across as a massive mark. How the fuck do "pass down" moves in pretend fighting?

The sooner the old guard get the fuck out of Joshi for good, the better. And I say that as an unashamed AJW fanboy.

I just liken it to Jake and the DDT.
Sure, it's been totally bastardised beyond all recognition now but the 'rule' used to be 'Don't do a DDT in the WWF while Jake is there'.
Maybe it's a 'Don't do the Ocean Cyclone Suplex in Japan' kind of deal. 

I appreciate that nobody 'owns' moves but, if it's a signature move that is so closely linked with one performer [the Tombstone, the Pedigree etc] I can see why that performer would, in theory, want it protecting.

Yeah, it's daft, but it's wrestling logic. It's like getting heat for not shaking everyone's hand with a limp handshake every time to you saw them, that kind of thing - the outside world goes 'Seriously?' but in wrestling it was the 'rule'. 

"Don't do it in Japan" would make Toyota look even worse.

Bea isn't doing the move in any "successors" promotion. Stardom should just ignore her, and it looks like they are doing just that.

Bea should make a gimmick out of this. Every match she should "steal" a random Joshi legends move.