Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, the injury was unfortunately what did it for him. He was right at the start of NXT's move to signing up all the big indy darlings, which made him a huge deal at the time, but when he was out injured the likes of Owens, Balor, Joe, Styles, Nakamura, Aries, Strong and so on either turned up or surpassed him which meant having Hideo wasn't a big deal in itself anymore, and aside from a couple of crackers on 205 he never really had a standout classic match - you have to think at least partly due to the extent of the injury.

The mini documentary NXT did on him about the leadup to his appearance in the Andre Battle Royal was wonderful, though. It's a pity things didn't work out fully for him.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Hideo Itami has apparently finished up with WWE after last nights 205 Live. Been given the standard 90 day no compete clause, but most likely heading back to Japan.

I'm stunned that he's been here this long, was probably out of goodwill that they kept him around after the injury. I really liked him during his NOAH days, but he's not impressed me at all since signing. He was a big deal at the time, because NXT was mostly guys from FCW and he got the ball-rolling with their indy recruit drive. The problem is that everyone that came in after him - Finn, Sami, Owens, Joe - were much better than him in almost every aspect so he failed to stand out.

It’s a shame as they clearly had high hopes for him when they signed him. Getting injured so soon completely killed any momentum he had, but even by then he’d been faffing about with The Ascension and loosing to Tyler Breeze. In his absence, you had a bunch of guys come in and he ultimately became a complete afterthought.

And getting injured isn’t his fault per se, it happens, but it wasn’t like he was only missing one set of NXT tapings, he was missing months worth at a time by which point someone else has come in and secured the spot he was meant to have.

Assuming he goes back home, I don’t know if NOAH can afford him anymore, but he could be a good addition to New Japan

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Assuming he goes back home, I don’t know if NOAH can afford him anymore, but he could be a good addition to New Japan

Depends on if he's got any ambition left. 90 days no compete would then give a couple of months to get ready for a Best of the Super Juniors (June) but honestly New Japan have just hit the buffers badly for an exodus of star power so I think they'd throw a wedge at him, get him in for a G1 and pretend he makes heavyweight.

Equally if he's done ok for cash I can easily see him going "home" for whatever Noah can afford to pay, to be reunited with his bruv. Either instead of or possibly after a G1 as a freelancer just to say "been there, done that".

Exciting times for those of us who were fans of his work over there and been disappointed to see his career stutter.

16 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Its bad enough he called her out on it but the way he continued to argue with a person who's Grandad died days before was just scummy, There's a time and place, he should be older and mature enough to know better.

1 minute ago, theringmaster said:

Its bad enough he called her out on it but the way he continued to argue with a person who's Grandad died days before was just scummy, There's a time and place, he should be older and mature enough to know better.

Yeah, 'Will Ospreay' and 'maturity' and not words that go together.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

I'll be the first to say it - AEW.

I'm looking forward to AEW becoming what TNA was for all those years, a modern "go to" option for every bugger who leaves the WWE.

I'm going to think it more like Global Force. That had loads of names attached before it existed too, then never really existed, then died.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Yeah, 'Will Ospreay' and 'maturity' and not words that go together.

I'm only generally aware of Ospreay being a tosser but what are the specific other things he's done? Something related to transphobia or am I thinking of someone else?

• Paid Members

13 episodes of Bushido (UWFi with English commentary) on Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushido-Way-Of-The-Warrior/dp/B07N6P661N/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1548858632&sr=1-1&keywords=bushido

Includes an appearance by a 49-year-old Iron Sheik who, in fact, does not make his opponent humble.

8 minutes ago, JNLister said:

13 episodes of Bushido (UWFi with English commentary) on Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushido-Way-Of-The-Warrior/dp/B07N6P661N/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1548858632&sr=1-1&keywords=bushido

Includes an appearance by a 49-year-old Iron Sheik who, in fact, does not make his opponent humble.

Gary Albright!  Sold!