Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Awards Moderator

Don't think I can get on board with Balor. Not to say he's not very good in the ring, but there's just something that doesn't click and once he's done his intro - whether the normal one or the one when he comes to the ring looking like Tracey Emin - I just see a bland bloke who smiles too much. Wouldn't mind seeing cocky heel Balor, but we've got a few of them already and if he's to get Bryan at Mania, he's staying boring face for a while. That said, there could be far worse choices to win the Rumble.

I thought Cena/Bryan for the WWE title would be the perfect Mania main event for next year, loads of backstory to it if they involve the bellas plus John going for the World Title "record".

Doesn't look like Cena will even be involved at Mania though looking at his filming schedule next year.

Balor/Bryan will be played out to silence if that happens, nobody will give a shit.

Edited by The King of Old School

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Balor/Bryan will be played out to silence if that happens, nobody will give a shit.

Don't think that would be the case at all. Bryan alone would easily be able to manipulate a crowd to get on his back with his awesome heel work of late. Couple of naughty chain wrestling spots for the respectful applause at the beginning, some near falls down the stretch and the fans will be lapping it up. They might even demonise Balor if it's a Wrestlemania showpiece, who knows. 

As an aside to the above, I never get excited when someone gets earmarked for a potential push anymore. I also think it depends somewhat on your definition of what constitutes a modern day 'push'. A few months ago it was Somoa Joe, and despite some excellent matches with AJ he's no longer in the main event. Strowman - earmarked for great things and did win the giant Saudi Rumble and MITB, but he hasn't won a heavyweight title and got cucked by Lesnar again. Every site keeps reporting about how high the office are on Drew McIntyre and now he's spinning his wheels, as I predicted. They don't have the bollocks to actually 'push' anyone - occasionally someone will get shifted into the title picture to change up the main event scene, but generally speaking they soon fall back into their previous placing and get lost in the shuffle (which isn't always WWE's fault, mind you - the performer can sometimes be called into question). The only real 'push' of late that's worked well is with Becky Lynch, which has effectively been forced entirely off of her own back and the fans' steadfast refusal to accept anything less for her. 

13 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Don't think that would be the case at all. Bryan alone would easily be able to manipulate a crowd to get on his back with his awesome heel work of late. Couple of naughty chain wrestling spots for the respectful applause at the beginning, some near falls down the stretch and the fans will be lapping it up. They might even demonise Balor if it's a Wrestlemania showpiece, who knows. 

Maybe if it happens in the middle of the show you could be right, if it went on near the end or last though after having had to sit through 7 hours of "action" beforehand, absolutely no chance.

Edited by The King of Old School

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Maybe if it happens in the middle of the show you could be right, if it went on near the end or last though after having had to sit through 7 hours of "action" beforehand, absolutely no chance.

Definitely wouldn’t have it as the main event, but I think any match that goes on last after seven hours is going to struggle to keep the crowd on side for the duration, unless they pull some sort of rabbit out of the hat like getting The Rock to do something of that ilk. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

the one when he comes to the ring looking like Tracey Emin

Maybe that should be his gimmick, too - a weirdo artist who sold out and went Tory the moment he became successful

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Based on wording in the Observer, it looks as if Balor may be winning the Royal Rumble and getting a big Mania match, my guess being with Bryan.

Am I missing something? The closest thing to a mention of that in this week's issue is:

The rest of the show was mostly predictable other than Finn Balor beating Drew McIntyre, but that was done because of booking decisions that have been changed where Balor needed to go over. But they did it with Dolph Ziggler interfering because they are adamant about protecting McIntyre. They had a hard hitting very good match, but the finish was bad.

Seems like in the space of a few posts we've gone from Liam saying "I'm guessing this is what Meltzer is hinting at" to "MELTZER CONFIRMS BALOR-BRYAN HEADLINING MANIA WITH MABEL AS THE GUEST REF."

12 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I’ve never got the hype for Bálor to be honest, even in New Japan he was clearly the second wheel in his best matches which were overrated anyway. I’m the same with Neville and Ricochet. Super athletes with stunning looks and zero personality. It’s good that they’re considering pushing him again but there’s definitely a ceiling there.

Ricochet pisses charisma and has plenty of personality. Maybe not a great promo but I think that will come with time.

If you don’t watch that and think instant badass then there is something wrong with you

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Ricochet pisses charisma and has plenty of personality. Maybe not a great promo but I think that will come with time.

If you don’t watch that and think instant badass then there is something wrong with you

It just makes me think of this:

gVxCrqFoHhJm_szDTpDpaWeJklE=.gif

Edited by Your Fight Site

2 hours ago, JNLister said:

Am I missing something? The closest thing to a mention of that in this week's issue is:

Seems like in the space of a few posts we've gone from Liam saying "I'm guessing this is what Meltzer is hinting at" to "MELTZER CONFIRMS BALOR-BRYAN HEADLINING MANIA WITH MABEL AS THE GUEST REF."

Yeah, not saying thats the plan, but closer to the top of the newsletter, Meltzer writes...

"...Mustafa Ali was called up from 205 Live and pinned Daniel Bryan in a tag team match. And Finn Balor, after being mired in the middle, is about to get a significant push, at least for a little while."

If Brock at the Rumble is getting Braun, to me the only significant push that fits the "at least for a little while" category to me is the Rumble. Bryan has no natural opponent so that makes sense to me more than Vince choosing Balor over Seth for the Brock match. That, the finish switch to Finn over Drew and what happens on the taped Raw is pointing me that way.

Meltzer hasnt said it flat out, not saying he's reported it, just trying to read between the lines...

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I’ve never got the hype for Bálor to be honest, even in New Japan he was clearly the second wheel in his best matches which were overrated anyway. I’m the same with Neville and Ricochet. Super athletes with stunning looks and zero personality. It’s good that they’re considering pushing him again but there’s definitely a ceiling there.

Get in the bin, mate. This isn't 2003 where people somehow we're allowed to get away with wank like "hurr durr Bryan Danielson is just a bland vanilla midget who can't do promos".

The three guys you just mentioned (especially Neville, for fucks sake) are more than just flippy lads with abs. Neville is one of the best heels going today and Balor/Ricochet are bursting with a cool, laid-back charisma. Yeah, they're not rocking the stick like The Rock but they do well enough to get by and they make up for it by getting everything else right. The skies the limit for these lads, they just need the backing from the office and the right booking.