Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

I remember when every match from the 1st match to the main event had meaning, had a storyline. I miss the backstage segments, hotel segments, stone cold beating booker around a Walmart type segments. 

Stories leading up to matches were told way better back then and that for a lot of people was the selling point.

I recall the Kane having to choose between x-pac or undertaker storyline to be quite entertaining at the time as a kid. I miss the stories leading up to the matches at ppvs.

Edited by DVDBellator

2 hours ago, DVDBellator said:

Am I the only one who thinks that the only way WWE will ever hit the heights of the attitude era is if they got rid of the PG shite? Obviously that isn't likely to happen, but personally I think that's the only way they'll ever hit those heights again.

Yeah, PG sux. Business would be through the roof again if they did edgy stuff like Hot Lesbian Action and necrophilia, like they did at the height of their popularity. We wouldn't complain about that stuff. All we want and need from wrestling is a TV-14 rating and everything is perfect then. That's why the attitude boom lasted until 2008.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Tommy! said:

He's promising to stop workers rights there isn't he, unless I'm misreading it. 

He really is a monster. 

Yeah, you are right. He is a libertarian running as Republican. So will have an innate aversion to any law regulating the free market. Very different wing of the GOP than Trump's populist nationalism.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, DVDBellator said:

Am I the only one who thinks that the only way WWE will ever hit the heights of the attitude era is if they got rid of the PG shite? Obviously that isn't likely to happen, but personally I think that's the only way they'll ever hit those heights again.

Nah, it's not just you. Loads of people are daft enough to buy into this myth that PG stops WWE from writing good TV.

If you watch the attitude era back, which I've been doing on and off for the past year, hardly anything that's really good is not PG. It could have been toned down and it wouldn't lose anything.

The other thing people forget when they bang on about PG is that it isn't that limiting WWE to this degree, their decision to be more appealling to family friendly advertisers and sponsors is. And even that isn't the reason they don't write great characters or present a lot of skits.

• Paid Members

That period post-boom and before the PG switch was absolutely abysmal too. The non-PG stuff just made it even more embarrassing to watch than usual. Gene Snitsky booting babies, Heidenreich JBL'ing Michael Cole in the locker room, Vince doing a colonoscopy on a Jim Ross model. Don't get me wrong, every WWE year has utter dross, but some of the stuff around 2005-2007 really sticks in my mind. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, DVDBellator said:

I remember when every match from the 1st match to the main event had meaning, had a storyline. I miss the backstage segments, hotel segments, stone cold beating booker around a Walmart type segments. 

Stories leading up to matches were told way better back then and that for a lot of people was the selling point.

I recall the Kane having to choose between x-pac or undertaker storyline to be quite entertaining at the time as a kid. I miss the stories leading up to the matches at ppvs.

I think the above just goes to show that PG didn't prevent you from enjoying WWE, as the above can be and was done without having to be edgy.

Of course it has nothing to do with the product being PG. The stuff that wasn't appropriate for PG audiences- 90% of it was utter dross and really embarrassing, as Rick and Gus have covered. The reason why the Attitude era was so successful- well there are a multitude of reasons but I think the big one being that they captured the vibe of youth subculture at the time. Wrestling, in particular the nWo and WWF Attitude, worked perfectly with teenage interests at the time. It was cool. The only way I can see it becoming that big is to tap into something along those lines again.

• Awards Moderator

Which, as SCG discussed a little bit this week, is 'moments' - quick bursts of individual bits and pieces you can quickly consume, share and move on from. I was reading an article this morning that said the top 5 celebrities among 13-18 year olds are all YouTube hosts. That's the style you have to have if you want to tap into the youth today - not go back to 1998. Our world is gone, and whether it's just doing a big spot, no substance style in matches or having the announcers in the corner of the screen commenting on the matches like a YouTuber, that's the sort of thing you'd need to catch today's teens.

Raw Is Zoella.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I was reading an article this morning that said the top 5 celebrities among 13-18 year olds are all YouTube hosts.

I had to get my 7-year old daughter a Jo-Jo Bow last week and a couple of books she is currently reading are stories written by one of her favourite YouTube vloggers.It's madness. I get bored watching a 5 minute walkthrough video for a Skyrim mission I'm stuck on, so I don't know how kids can spend so many hours watching YouTube videos.

They do have their own fairly successful Vlogger in Xavier Woods making some waves in that space, so they're not standing completely still there.

They could do more to get big moments on Raw and SD to go viral the following day, the way the big talk shows do. Could normal people be coaxed into sharing a clip of Braun Strowman tipping over an ambulance on Facebook? Do they already?

• Paid Members

The weird thing is, WWE seems to already have a fairly big presence on social media. It's always trending whenever something of any interest has happened, and I often see videos and memes posting by folks I don't know in wrestling circles (norms). The challenge is convincing them to watch TV or get the network.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

That period post-boom and before the PG switch was absolutely abysmal too. The non-PG stuff just made it even more embarrassing to watch than usual. Gene Snitsky booting babies, Heidenreich JBL'ing Michael Cole in the locker room, Vince doing a colonoscopy on a Jim Ross model. Don't get me wrong, every WWE year has utter dross, but some of the stuff around 2005-2007 really sticks in my mind. 

I get your overall point, but you mentioned three superlatives there. Not having them as shit. All hysterical.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

I get your overall point, but you mentioned three superlatives there. Not having them as shit. All hysterical.

Michael Cole enjoying a good rogering sesh in the locker room was not hysterical when Grandma Mears came into the living room and assumed I'd switched over to the Rabbit Channel or something :(