Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

The TV deal will be interesting. Obviously ratings have dropped but generally they have and are across the board. People are watching differently now. What USA and, when/if exclusivity runs out, other networks will be looking at is what they will be able to bring in via advertisers and WWE are generally stronger here at the moment than they have been previously. Will be interesting to see how WWE's ratings have fared from a viewership % standpoint rather than just the basic number of viewers.  

I've always wondered where WWE's basic figure is for RAW and SD before they consider going it alone and putting it on the network, or at least having them on the network and on a traditional station. That'll be a bargaining chip for them when negotiating, there's not many shows/brands/sports out there that have their own mean network to show their product if networks aren't offering enough. 

Making Raw and SmackDown exclusive to the Network would be suicidal in the long term. They need a shop window of some sort to create new fans, who can then be converted into Network subscribers.

55 minutes ago, Jon-Carr_92 said:

Isn't the USA deal for Raw about to come up soon? It's going to be intriguing how that goes following Raw having ratings previously only seen when Nitro was dominating and even getting its lowest rated episode ever.

I think the current one is a 5 year deal so it wont end until 2019. Negotiations for that wont get serious until 2018. I got the impression its a 5 year deal after listening to Wrestlenomics Radio breakdown the end of 2016 WWE results. I don't think they will get a huge increase if they get an increase given how the shows have performed in the current contract. But if they do enough to keep USA #1 in the cable network standings then they should get a somewhat decent increase.

• Paid Members

The USA deal is believed to be up at the end of September 2019. That's a big year as the Sky UK and Sony Six (India) deals are both up that year as well. 

The Network is effectively available everywhere in the world except China. There's also an asterisk for Canada where it's only officially available through a cable TV provider.

• Paid Members

Why aren't they making money from their YouTube channel? If big v-loggers are making upwards of $100k a year from ad revenue, surely WWE must be monetising their content in some way? I'm not saying it'll fill the void of losing the TV rights money from USA but there's a reason big content providers are on YouTube and not Vimeo.

• Paid Members

As an example, Forbes reckons Psy made around $2 million from YouTube revenue on two billion views in two years after release. WWE currently gets around $3 million a week for Raw and Smackdown from USA alone.

A lot of the vloggers make their money from product placements on their channels, Facebook pages and Instagram accounts. Of course they'll make money from traditional ads on their videos too but there's a big difference between a guy or girl filming themselves in a room or while they're out shopping, compared to WWE trying to get something worthwhile from it. (Zoella, one of the most famous UK fashion vloggers, has 11 million subscribers. WWE has 15 million.) Distribute that revenue between one person and a small management/production team and then do it with WWE, a publicly listed company with hundreds of staff and offices all over the world and you can see why it's not such a viable revenue stream for them. Sure, take the money if it's there but they could never feasibly build a solid model around it. Even for small non-wrestling companies who get decent hits to their channel, YouTube is a better means to selling other products/services than it is as a standalone revenue stream 95% of the time.

As JNLister points out, when you compare what WWE earn from their TV deals compared to what they can get from YouTube, it's night and day. 

Didn't know where to put this & until or unless it pans out to be true, it's pretty meaningless. However, the current / ongoing Fappening claims to include (more): Kaitlyn, Victoria, Melina, Sereena Deeb & Maxine. 2 of whom I wouldn't know if I fell over them, but there you go. A few MMA girls as well, Miesha Tate being one. Apologies if this just repetition.

• Paid Members

MAYOR KANE UPDATE

As literally no one apart from me remembers, Kane is running for Mayor of Knoxville as a Republican. Not only did he release some campaign commitments today (he promised to chokeslam high taxes and drop the leg on workers rights) but he also unveiled his amazing campaign slogan: 'Lighting the Way For Our Future' with a picture of a flame in the background.