Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr.Showtime said:

I lasted 4 minutes 30. All I could hear after that was "y'know". Y'know?

I watched it all. It gets more interesting with some bits from Taker about his travel, Andre, the advice he gives to young wrestlers and how Michelle McCool got him into religion because her faith is so strong. I got used to the "you know"s. The Pastor only gets more annoying though.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Daniel Bryan has been going off on one on Twitter listing who and how he has injured and concussed opponents in the past in some sort of weird defence tactic in regards to Brie Bella

It is the bloke’s wife to be fair. He’s not exactly going to come out and agree with people slating her.

• Paid Members

He's making a reasonable point, though - he's considered an elite level worker, and has a ton of goodwill behind him, and never receives the criticism that Brie gets for being dangerous, unsafe or reckless. Even when, in some cases (the McGuinness matches in particular), he was inarguably more reckless and unsafe than Brie has ever been, and when he can name incidents where he did the exact same thing that Brie is getting abuse for.

Fans have always picked and chose their targets when criticising "dangerous" workers - when Seth Rollins, AJ Styles, Shinsuke Nakamura or Samoa Joe are the other party in a match where a wrestler gets seriously injured, it's "it ain't ballet" or "accidents happen", but if it's someone the fans have already decided they don't like, it's because they're unsafe. It's never uglier than when it's a woman, too - the worst side of wrestling fan rhetoric comes out then, and makes you think that they don't really give a fuck about whether or not Liv Morgan got hurt, they just want an excuse to say reprehensible things about a Bella Twin and feel justified in doing so.

• Paid Members

It's not so much that, it's pointing out the hypocrisy. He's saying that he's guilty of all these things in his career, yet never received the abuse Brie has got. His point is that it's people using it as an excuse to harass and abuse Brie Bella, it's not coming from a place of genuine concern for anyone's safety.