Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Awards Moderator

Thatā€™s really sad news. Heā€™d been through a hell of a lot and itā€™s such a shame it got him at such a young age. His Paul Heyman-booked run in OVW against Johnny Jeter was shaping up to be something great back in 2005 but we never got to find out what his true potential would be. RIP.

Yeah incredibly sad news. Masses of potential by all accounts. He beat brain cancer once and to get it again is so incredibly cruel and sad. It seems he remained incredibly positive and determined to fight it to the very end. 38 is no age and, as has been said, you can' help but wonder what might have been. RIP.

Io Shirai confirmed as signed to WWE (wwe.com). Not knowing much about the joshi scene, can anyone clue me in on who she is, and where she sits in terms of talent

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/wwe-signs-io-shirai?sf192907795=1

Ā 

WWE has announced that it has signed Io Shirai, one of the most decorated womenā€™s wrestlers in the world, as its newest Superstar.

The announcement was made at todayā€™s WWE Live Event at Tokyoā€™s Ryōgoku Sumo Hall, where Shirai was introduced to members of the WWE Universe as the newest signee to WWE NXT.

A ring veteran of more than 10 years, Shirai has accomplished more than virtually anyone in the modern history of Japanese womenā€™s wrestlers. Tokyo Sports, a national daily sports newspaper, named her the countryā€™s top female grappler in each of the past three years.

Boasting an exciting and technical in-ring style that combines speed and force, Shirai is renowned for her devastating strikes and suplexes. Nicknamed the ā€œGenius of the Sky,ā€ Shirai also packs a wide arsenal of high-flying moves, including an eye-popping Asai moonsault.

Shirai most recently competed with Tokyo-based World Wonder Ring Stardom, the same organization where NXT Superstar and inaugural Mae Young Classic winnerĀ Kairi SaneĀ first made her name. A fixture of Stardom, Shirai was a multi-time champion there and enjoyed two reigns with the promotionā€™s top title, the World of Stardom Championship.

Will it be long before the WWE Universe witnesses Shiraiā€™s spectacular ability in a WWE ring?

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by bigfoote

I've really enjoyed the matches of Shirai's that I've seen. They have been big old epic 20 minute long Japanese main events. I don't know how that's going to translate to sub 10 minute WWE matches mind you. Also she doesn't seem to have an identifiable hook like Asuka (What if Minoru Suzuki was a hot lady?) or Kairi Sane (Cute Pirate, ridiculous elbow drop.).

Shirai is touted by many as the best Joshi wrestler of modern times.
Of course, there are those who dispute that - and certainly there is a case for Satomura etc. - and Kairi Sane is/was much better than she has been in NXT when she was in Japan so we shall have see how Shirai getsĀ on.
If they bookĀ Io v Kairi at any point and they allow them a little time/freedom then it would have the potential toĀ be the best WWE womens match ever in my opinion.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

MattĀ Cappotelli has sadly passed away aged 38. Ā 

Talented kid who never got a break in wrestling and that pales in comparison to the shit luck he's had with this horrible illness. So, so sad.

• 2 weeks later...

Showcase TV (Sky 192) is showing Classic St Louis Wrestling shows. They have a show on the EPG marked "Wrestling" which is a bit intermittent as to what they actually show but last night it was the St Louis show.Ā 

8 minutes ago, Sheffbag said:

Showcase TV (Sky 192) is showing Classic St Louis Wrestling shows. They have a show on the EPG marked "Wrestling" which is a bit intermittent as to what they actually show but last night it was the St Louis show.Ā 

Yeah I was flicking by the channels on freesat and I noticed that was on at 9pm last night