Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

I liked Anderson in New Japan. Solid tag guy imo and had some decent G1 runs.

Interesting to see where Stardom go from here. Mayu Iwatani should steamroll over everybody, heck I'd have her take control of Queens Quest (Io's faction) because nobody left in that group is anywhere ready for the top imo.

On 5/28/2018 at 7:15 PM, Supremo said:

Gallows and Anderson were over in Japan. They’re absolutely rubbish.

I don’t mind Kairi, but I think I’m biased because I’m in love with her.

I'll put it another way then. She was over with me when she worked in Japan - Gallows & Albert never were. Full of fight and great to watch, though still somewhat green, as is 90% of that roster. She wasn't physically dwarfed on a regular basis, or particularly lacking in offence. Since Kairi went to WWE, I've only seen her in last year's Mae Young, which as an introduction for the uninitiated, didn't necessarily do her any favours. It seemed like the elbow was literally all she had. Both her & Io barely trouble 5 ft, so that could well to be an issue. It's not as though either of them have crazy submissions or anything like that. Io had decent matches in Japan, but the overall (Joshi) standard is as low there now, as it's been for decades. Of the women who've debut'd post-2003, the only standout performers have been; Kana, Ayumi Kurihara (retired) and Syuri, who flits between pro-wrestling & MMA. In terms of how WWE choose to use / 'misuse' Io, that's entirley up to them. There's no great legacy to protect. I'd say she's lucky to be there.

Edited by KingofSports

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Lio Rush is doing music again too.

I like the bit where he says 'money'.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, KingofSports said:

Both her & Io barely trouble 5 ft, so that could well to be an issue. 

Has the height of the women ever been something that's affected how they're portrayed in the company?

I mean, Alexa Bliss is tiny, yet she's arguably been the most successful main roster female of the last five years.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Supremo said:

Has the height of the women ever been something that's affected how they're portrayed in the company?

I mean, Alexa Bliss is tiny, yet she's arguably been the most successful main roster female of the last five years.

They actually use Alexa's lack of height as a slogan, "five feet of fury" in fact. So no, not being an amazon will not hold a talent back.

Kairi Sane looks like she'd snap in a strong breeze.  Height isn't the issue, it's physical presence.  Bliss used to be a bodybuilder and she carries herself like a big deal.

KingofSports brought up a good point about the current state of Joshi. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of decent to good talent over there but very few that could smoothly transition to WWE and fewer on Io or Asuka's level.

I'd still say the Joshi scene is in a better state now than it was a few years ago. Especially now a lot of the vets have either retired or are no longer the focal point of most promotions.

On that subject Meiko Satomura is working with DDT at the moment. Think she took part in one of their Street Wrestling shows recently.

13 hours ago, Supremo said:

Essentially, I meant size in general. 'Presence', muscle mass, strength etc. etc. No question that Io is more physically developed & powerful than Kairi, but neither of them are close to say Rin Nakai, in build or technical ability. Regarding the Alexa Bliss comparison, @Loki pretty much has it in a nutshell.

Take the submission Charlotte put on Asuka at WM. That was due, in part, to a 'height assist'. If Io tried to put the same hold on her, she wouldn't have the same bridge or the ability to generate that level of torque. It simply wouldn't work. In almost any other fight sport, they'd be separated into weight divisions, which to some extent would level the playing field. I'm on the shortish-side, so comments I make on that subject aren't intended as derogatory, more common sense / from experience - not pro-wrestling I hasten to add..just 'situations'.

I don't know what reationship WWE have with STARDOM. Quite a few of the Mae Young participants have worked or are working there. Is it being used directly as a feeder / developmental promotion? In taking Io and Kairi, they've virtually demolished what was left of the company, other than imports. Most of the remaining homegrown roster wouldn't have been let loose anywhere near a TV camera 10, 20 years ago. Credit to Rossy Ogawa though, that's 2 or 3 Joshi promotions he's had success with. The crafty old fox.

Anyway, in other news, Io Shirai's signed with WWE.

2 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

2 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

I'd still say the Joshi scene is in a better state now than it was a few years ago. Especially now a lot of the vets have either retired or are no longer the focal point of most promotions.

Can't agree with you on the first point, but yeah, some of those old hands needed to just get out of the way. Pass your experience on, guide, inspire, but get your tired old ass out of the ring.

Edited by KingofSports

Reminds me. Sendai Girls are starting up their own streaming service. Not a big Satomura fan (the GAEA Girls incident really soured me on her) but there's other wrestlers there I quite like so might check it out when it launches.

If WAVE's reaction to recent events is anything to go by though, I'm guessing there will be no Ayako Hamada footage.