Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Jon-Carr_92 said:

Where was it the thing of them canning the tour over the Manchester Arena bombing came from? Granted, their show there was in December originally when the arena reopens this weekend with the tribute gig with Noel Gallagher headlining, so it wouldn't have been in the window where the events in their calendar were cancelled or moved to alternative venues for obvious reasons. But it certainly has been a strange ride with that lot to say the least with their questionable investments among other things. 

That was the excuse they gave when telling the wrestlers about the cancellation. As you note, it didn't make any sense (and was in poor taste), which is presumably why they realised not to use it when they announced publicly.

They are still using Manchester as an excuse on their Facebook as of yesterday when someone asked why the last shows were cancelled .... 

"anyone who purchased tickets through 5starwrestling.co.uk received their refunds upon sending their tickets back and I'm certain the same is true for those who purchased from other ticket vendors like the arenas. 

As far as I know, we haven't had any fans who couldn't get refunds on travel arrangements or at least rearrange the dates of those arrangements. I think that's because we cancelled weeks in advance. 

You're 100% right, it would have been faulty decision making to sell tickets to a venue that we didn't know would be open, it's one of the reasons we moved the dates back so far - to give us the confidence that would be open and thankfully Manchester Arena opens later this month I believe.

The thing is, Manchester Arena isn't just any arena, it's the biggest indoor arena in the UK and we had scheduled the final of our 30 week tournament to take place at the Arena, as part of our biggest show of the year. We have major plans for that event and being in Manchester is all part of it.

I don't think there's much else I can say, Martin. Hopefully, over time people will realise that the rescheduling was a necessary setback and we'll do our best to more than make it up to the fans when the shows start in February."

3 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Five-minute video on the BBC News site about Pro-Wrestling:EVE, framing them as "the real women of professional wrestling" in relation to the GLOW series on Netflix:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41186003

the mainstream publicity they are getting is wild, and couldn't be more deserved. brilliant to see something piercing the wrestling bubble. can't recommend their shows enough to anybody interested

• Paid Members

Yeah, seeing EVE get so much positive press in the mainstream is a welcome counterbalance to 5 Star Wrestling rearing their ugly head again. Well deserved, and as good an ambassador for British wrestling as any.

Other people have said it before, but if an apolitical, all-male wrestling promotion had half the mainstream press coverage that EVE are getting - hell, if they got a feature buried somewhere on the Huffington Post website - the wrestling "media" would be all over it and banging on about it like it was the second coming. But with EVE, they're on the BBC, centre spread in the Guardian, New York Times, genuine mainstream press all over the place and you're lucky to see them as a footnote in the Wrestling Observer.

Back to 5 Star, part of me wonders if the deal they've been offered by FreeSports was a bit of a shitty one that got turned down by a couple of other promotions first - but then 5 Star just bit their hand off at the offer, because money marks want to get on the telly. It's hard to tell who's fleecing who, really; PCW's story seems to be that they withdrew from the deal because they couldn't provide what FreeSports wanted, while FreeSports' story seems to be that PCW fucked it up for themselves by announcing shit too early.

One of the things that particularly annoys me about it all is that it feels like a throwback to the bad old days of BritWres, of shitarses with ideas above their station trying to run before they can walk, and with the post-World of Sport obsession with TV being the be-all and end-all of wrestling. We spent three or four sodding decades of promoters thinking that they could only be successful by getting on TV, and that getting on TV meant - usually - being a Poundshop knock-off of the WWF. Between the changing media landscape, and the strength (and, more importantly, reputation) of the British scene right now, we should have put that to bed - we should have proved that we don't need TV to produce a superb product, and produce talent that are being booked and talked about all over the world.

Problem is, it's not the PROGRESSes and Fight Club Pros, or indeed the Pro Wrestling EVEs, of the world that suffer if the British wrestling on TV is shit - these are companies that have built up a following, and a reputation, through genuine hard work, commitment, and consistently great shows, and have established their market. The companies that are going to suffer are the smaller, family-focused promotions that advertise with posters saying "THE WRESTLING" - and they might not be flashy or exciting, but they're a decent source of regular work and income.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

One of the things that particularly annoys me about it all is that it feels like a throwback to the bad old days of BritWres, of shitarses with ideas above their station trying to run before they can walk, and with the post-World of Sport obsession with TV being the be-all and end-all of wrestling.

Ah, UWA.

5 hours ago, Coles84 said:

I am intrigued at what talent that 5 star will get on their shows seeing as they annoyed 100% of their original roster. I know money talks but if you were a talent would you have confidence the show would go ahead this time? 

And it's fair to assume the lot they had who were due to do the World Of Sport tapings were even more annoyed considering that marked the second time in like 2 months they'd lost a big booking and had to scramble to fill their diaries. Especially seeing how more and more of them are focusing on making it a living which no doubt is not an easy thing to do with something that involves travelling and having to hitch rides among other things.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

With all the bad rep 5 Star have been getting online by wrestlers they fucked over, who will they have wrestling for them on these shows? 

CM Punk, remember?

19 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

A gig is a gig when you're a wrestler, they'll take a payment from any old shitarse. If they didn't then there wouldn't be hundreds of "Promotions"

Normally true, but wrestlers in droves are getting together to distance themselves from the promotion at the moment. But we'll see.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

A gig is a gig when you're a wrestler, they'll take a payment from any old shitarse. If they didn't then there wouldn't be hundreds of "Promotions"

They'll get wrestlers fairly easily, whether they get any decent wrestlers is another matter. Half the shitarse list could be there.

It's Ronin's time to shine!

It's good to see some worker solidarity but it could be because a lot of those guys have a choice to work elsewhere pretty easily, there will still be a tonne that really could do with the exposure and paycheck. I just hope this wanker of a promotion treats them right this time around.

• Paid Members

They end up booking a shitload of imports anyway, don't they? So I'd imagine they just do the same this time, probably with even more imports. Most Americans won't care about 5 Star upsetting the BritWres scene if they're getting a good payday.