Jericho not returning?

Jetta's G-string

While I remember being excited about him returning before, thinking he might not come back this time doesn't bother me in the slightest.

He can be a good hand, and would do some good with the younger talent, but he's not needed.

I disagree. I think the thing that WWE needs more of (desperately) at the moment is established talents who can (and will) put over the youngster in convincing fashion, both in-ring and in promos.

Jericho will make no difference to the business side of wrestling, his return won't make a dent in the ratings or anything, but his impact will be in helping to 'make' other talents (if they choose to use him wisely).

Which is basically what I said, is it not?

However, Chris Jericho as an individual isn't needed. Would he be USEFUL? Absolutely. But does the company need him to return? Absolutely not. There are plenty of guys already there that could be used to make the other talents. Jericho could be brought back and used completely wrong and end up going over guys he has no business going over in 2011.

Truthfully there's shitloads of guys on the roster that could do what he would be useful at doing. WWE just don't do it very often.

He doesn't need to come back and 'save us' or anything.

You see, I really do think they they need more people like Jericho. Perhaps not him in particular (though as a fan, I'd be happy). But I disagree that there are plenty there already who can put new blood over. Jericho is an awesome all-arounder and a former multiple time World Champ. He can put people over and have it mean something (while also making them look better in-ring than most are capable of).

I agree, he's not gonna come in and save the product or anything silly, but I think they need more veterans who can still go - now more than ever before. He's as good as anyone for that role.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'll always welcome Jericho back, he's one of my all time faves and I love the fact that he has a great life. Fozzy aren't the best band ever but it's great that he gets to be a rock star, a top name in WWE whenever he wants, the reality TV and gameshow hosting shit he obviously loves and his book was wicked (no read the second one yet)

I agree he'd be great with Punk, could be a hot feud.

*edit* can't imagine him as a face now though after the suit and seriousness and short hair and clean shave.

• Paid Members
I'd like to see him in TNA to be honest. He would make much more of an impact (tee hee) there than yet another return to WWE.

Really? I think if he went to TNA he'd be the next Rob Van Dam.

You see, I really do think they they need more people like Jericho. Perhaps not him in particular (though as a fan, I'd be happy). But I disagree that there are plenty there already who can put new blood over. Jericho is an awesome all-arounder and a former multiple time World Champ. He can put people over and have it mean something (while also making them look better in-ring than most are capable of).

I agree, he's not gonna come in and save the product or anything silly, but I think they need more veterans who can still go - now more than ever before. He's as good as anyone for that role.

Whilst the company may need people like Jericho, you have to ask yourself if someone like Jericho fancies that kind of role. This is a guy who's made no secret of the fact that he can quite happily live without wrestling.

If he walked away in the past when he was a main event guy, why would he be willing to come back and play the role of someone who makes others look good?

He's 41 now, he still has his health and has a healthy bank balance I'd bet. On top of that he's not exactly lacking for stuff to do outside the ring, is he?

Whilst the company may need people like Jericho, you have to ask yourself if someone like Jericho fancies that kind of role. This is a guy who's made no secret of the fact that he can quite happily live without wrestling.

If he walked away in the past when he was a main event guy, why would he be willing to come back and play the role of someone who makes others look good?

He's 41 now, he still has his health and has a healthy bank balance I'd bet. On top of that he's not exactly lacking for stuff to do outside the ring, is he?

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I think he should be in a Val Venis kind of role.

I'd still see him as an upper-midcarder at least, but that would put him in kind of a gatekeeper position for people to go through to get into the main events. A credible former champion for the next main eventers to prove themselves against.

• Paid Members
I'd like to see that as well, just to see how many days it took before he became "Just another TNA guy"

Far longer than RVD did. If Jericho signed, say, tomorrow, I think he'd at least retain his star quality until at least ... late December. But Jericho isn't daft. He knows there's only one place where he can hobnob with the likes of Seth Green, and thats WWE. I remember his reaction to how RVD debuted. He pretty much buried them for having Sting beat him down. He has no confidence in the braintrust at TNA. Thats why a Heyman might have been good for TNA in that respect. A lot of wrestlers are marks for themselves as well as the money. If TNA had someone booking it who the star names had confidence in, they might think about signing with TNA.

I'd rather not see Jericho return anytime soon though. Wasnt enjoying him at all during the end of his last run. Its all WWE needs at the minute. Another bloke in a suit banging on.

I feel theres a bit of a gap between the younger up and comers and top guys since Beniot, Eddie died and Jericho is on-off, those were travelled veterans that could teach guys like swagger, drew, morrison etc.

Look how Beniot helped MVP or Finlay with Lashley.

Where did that get them? One went nowhere in WWE and the other left the business altogether!

My friend said that Jericho said that he's going to change his character up if he comes back. I'm willing to believe that.

He also said that I must be mad to prefer Jericho's first run with the company than his latter run. To be fair, I started watching WWE regularly again in 2010 so I doubt I caught the best of him.

I feel theres a bit of a gap between the younger up and comers and top guys since Beniot, Eddie died and Jericho is on-off, those were travelled veterans that could teach guys like swagger, drew, morrison etc.

Look how Beniot helped MVP or Finlay with Lashley.

Or how Jericho helped... Erm... Wade Barrett, a bit?

For all this "Jericho will put da young guyz over" talk, he only ever seems to feud with veterans. Look at his last run. He came back and feuded with Orton, then JBL, then Michaels, then Cena, then some old boys, then Mysterio. Then he formed tag teams with Edge and Big Show, squashed Cryme Tyme and feuded with DX. Then he feuded with Edge. Occasionally he'd do a little something with Evan Bourne or the Hart Dynasty, but that did fuck all for them. He definitely helped Barrett stand out on NXT, though.

And someone might read the above and blame the evil Hollywood writers for the lack of stars Jericho made, but "It would be great if Jericho came back..." isn't that persuasive an argument if you have to add the caveat "and if WWE's booking completely changed!"

his book was wicked (no read the second one yet)

It's OK, but to many bloody chapters about Fozzy in my opinio. Talk about wrestling, that's why I got the book!

Or how Jericho helped... Erm... Wade Barrett, a bit?

For all this "Jericho will put da young guyz over" talk, he only ever seems to feud with veterans. Look at his last run. He came back and feuded with Orton, then JBL, then Michaels, then Cena, then some old boys, then Mysterio. Then he formed tag teams with Edge and Big Show, squashed Cryme Tyme and feuded with DX. Then he feuded with Edge. Occasionally he'd do a little something with Evan Bourne or the Hart Dynasty, but that did fuck all for them. He definitely helped Barrett stand out on NXT, though.

And someone might read the above and blame the evil Hollywood writers for the lack of stars Jericho made, but "It would be great if Jericho came back..." isn't that persuasive an argument if you have to add the caveat "and if WWE's booking completely changed!"

To be fair, he did put over a young star called John Cena during his first run. Think he did quite well.

You're right though, there's no point bringing Jericho back and having him doing stirling work with someone like Evan Bourne, if Vince is going to get bored with Bourne a month later and stop the push (is he doing that now? What's the point of having half the tag team champions in the SS match?)

Archived