Relocating for a job

Harvey Dent

To cut a long story short, the company I work for has been bought out by a massive company. They're letting everyone go except me who they've offered a very good deal to oversee the moving of the operation to their new multimillion pound place and then run it. It's a fantastic opportunity and there's so much to gain from it but the only issue is I'd have to relocate from Kent to West Bromwich/Birmingham. I've spent most of my life here after moving from London when I was kid, so I'm a bit apprehensive moving my whole life to somewhere where I know no one. So I imagine quite a few of you have done this kind of thing, so how did it go for you and any advice for me?

You married/kids?

I was offered a job abroad a few years ago but just couldn't make the move abroad, regretted it massively until getting a much better job a year or so later. All id say is, you aren't moving a million miles away, just a few hours drive, if relationships and friendships are strong enough then they will remain in tact if you move, and nothings permanent anyway.

Probably should've mentioned that, but no, I'm not married. I do have a girlfriend who I've been with for nearly 7 years and she's indicated she'd be prepared to come with me. Like you say, I know its only a couple of hours away, and it's easy enough to get a train to London for football and such, it's just I've never uprooted everything like that. I'm sure it'll all be great, just got that apprehension which I guess is natural.

My advice would be to go for it. I moved from the UK to Germany for work a few years ago. Be sure to ask your Company to relocate you using a relocation management company, this will ensure your move goes smoothly, introduction to the area, and find you somewhere good to live. We used HCR, but there are plenty put there.

Work out how much the move would cost, and try and get the new large company to pay for it. I was recently offered a job overseas and the company were prepared to pay for EVERYTHING, from the packing of my belongings to a temporary rented accommodation at the other end.

Probably should've mentioned that, but no, I'm not married. I do have a girlfriend who I've been with for nearly 7 years and she's indicated she'd be prepared to come with me. Like you say, I know its only a couple of hours away, and it's easy enough to get a train to London for football and such, it's just I've never uprooted everything like that. I'm sure it'll all be great, just got that apprehension which I guess is natural.

at the end of the day whats the worst that can happen ?

I've found out more this afternoon. I'll be up and down for the next 6-9 months and they've given me an apartment to live in there for free and I can stay there while I find my own place.

I've agreed it all in principle. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain financially and it's great opportunity to secure my future. The only thing left on my mind is moving away from 90% of all my family and friends here. I've never went to Uni or anything, I've spent over 20 years here. So it's exiting really and as you guys it's not like it's that far away if I wanna pop back for a weekend to see people.

How easy have you guys found it to settle some place new?

I've found out more this afternoon. I'll be up and down for the next 6-9 months and they've given me an apartment to live in there for free and I can stay there while I find my own place.

I've agreed it all in principle. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain financially and it's great opportunity to secure my future. The only thing left on my mind is moving away from 90% of all my family and friends here. I've never went to Uni or anything, I've spent over 20 years here. So it's exiting really and as you guys it's not like it's that far away if I wanna pop back for a weekend to see people.

I've moved around a lot in my life, with the biggest one being relocating to Wolverhampton about 5 years ago. It's always a big punt moving somewhere completely new that you know nothing about, but the biggest way to gain some new mates is through the workplace to start with. I went on a few nights out and it really helped. As part of you running the operation once the move is completed, it may be it will be up to you to organise it. Avoid going to Legs 11 on Broad Street.

• Paid Members

I can't think that it would be too alien. I've moved to France and Germany and quickly found myself propping up the bars with the locals very quickly, so I would think that moving to another city in the same country ought to be a piece of cake too.

Do it mate, once you are settled its great to start again, just moved from Carlisle to Kent myself and its like a whole new start in life

Ashford though. Ugh.

Ashford is the land where time stands still. Their cinema is bigger and shows more than the Rochester one though.

I'm feeling really good about this now, especially after seeing here that people have been all over the shop and been happy. I'm looking at living in the Edgbaston area, seems a good fit for me. It's surprising how much cheaper it is to get a place there as opposed to down here. I dont have to worry about getting my own place for 6-8 months anyway as I'll be between there and here, and like I said the company have provided a fully decked out apartment for as long as I want it.

Archived